Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this EK on 10-17-2015, body is in great shape and everything is pretty much OEM besides the springs and shocks. Interior is in really great condition for the year.

I have a lot of plans for it, but this will be a slow build considering...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This was about a week after I bought the car.

Cleaned the interior a bit.

Took the bumper off to get at the headlights.

Headlight apart.

Painting the insert gunmetal.

Together and some more sanding.

Here they are finished, need to do a bit more considering they are still a bit yellow but the inserts look good.

Also painted the wheels bronze to hold me over until I get a new set, I feel they came out pretty decent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some more stuff a few weeks later.

CTR wheel that im planning to reupholster. I loved the stock radio but it sounded terrible and couldn't stand living in 1999.

Messing with this stuff, CEL didn't light up due to no bulb lel.

Modded the cluster a bit.

Decided to redo the headlights again, there was too much yellow left.

The other headlight

Decided to ghetto reclear the hood to protect it, the spray cans left a shit ton of peaks that i spent a few hours sanding down.

After I sprayed it.

After sanding and buffing, not perfect but a lot better than it was originally.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some parts in the mail.

Didn't like the color so I went with white.

Washed the car and added some parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally bought another camera, so the pictures are going to be a little bit better.

Had a busy day.

Installed the following..
EK9 5 Lug.
Hard race EK9 Lower control arms/Shock Forks.
Ek9 26mm Front sway.
Whiteline 22mm rear sway.
DC integra steering pinion gear into EK rack.
New outer tie rod ends.
New PS fluid.
New Brake fluid.
ITR wheels..

Upper control arm bushings that I didn't put on, going to do that when I get some new coil overs. Also picked up a S300 that I will be putting in.

Got rid of the tires the ITR wheels came with and picked up some Bridgestone RE71Rs.

Showing the parts.

Car finished, i didn't have time to take shots during the swap, car is pretty filthy from not driving it for a week. It needs an alignment and I need to pick up some wheel spacers.

The DC pinion gear really helps out with the L2L, drove it around the block and was really surprised on how much of a difference it makes. Pretty PITA to do but really worth it, now I don't feel like I am trying to steer a bus.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welp, this was an interesting weekend.

Finally got a chance to test the spacers and was getting ready to roll the fenders.

Plenty of threads left.

Took the wire wheel to the rotor.

Showing how sucked in the wheels are.

Applying a liberal amount of anti seize.

Looks like I didn't need any rolling after all, my car is now low enough at this point.

Super excited to have everything done and finally be able to drive the car, I dropped it of at Network Alignment off cave creek. An hour later I get a call telling me that they are unable to align my car correctly and said that it might have been in an accident. Probed a bit further and they said that the passenger side knuckle was bent. I remember when putting the 5 lug swap into the car that the upper arm on the knuckle was rubbing the spring perch a bit but wasn't sure why.

Really cool of Network Alignment to not charge me after setting it the best they could, they were really nice and super helpful, so big props to them.

After knowing what the issue was I had to find another knuckle, good thing EK9/USDM ITR knuckles are the same as regular DC integras so sourcing one wasn't that bad. Picked up a new wheel bearing and lower ball joint and went to work. Acura wanted $140 for the wheel bearing but the newer 02-05 Civics have the same part number (44300-S5A-008) and Right Honda had it for $80.

The old wheel bearing in the donor arm was toast, but I was going to have to replaced it regardless. When pulling out the hub the outer race of the bearing usually comes with it.

Here the car sits, still needs an alignment. Going to be bringing it back to Network Alignment when I get a chance this week. I have some other parts on the way but not really sure as to when they are going in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got around to installing the new SS Brake lines, the protective covering on the old ones were cracked and they just looked sketch as hell. Filled with motul brake fluid and everything feels pretty decent in the braking department, probably get some track pads before I go out.

Got some new tools for my birfday last month.

Bought a new wiper stalk, the old one flopped around like a donkey dick and caused my windshield wipers to constantly go on and off. I bought the incorrect one though, it only works on one speed :(, was probably looking at EM1 parts when I was looking at part numbers. Will probably just give it to my buddy who has a coupe and order the new one.

After installing the EM1 PS pump and adding fluid, I drove down the block only for it to fail on me. I opened my hood and had a nice surprise of PS fluid everywhere and my cap missing. Bought $10 in O rings from honda and rebuilt it. There was some erosion on the internals, so I swapped them with another pump I had laying around. Filled that shit up and works like a baws.

Saving for some more go fast parts, pretty excited for whats next.

Moar parts.

I want a LSD tho.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Decided after 2 months K series is where its at and this is about where I am right now in the build.

I was on the fence about getting a RSX so i just ended up doing the next best thing.

I dropped the engine in to do some test fitting and make sure the mounts worked, I have to pull it back out to assemble the harness and finish some things in the bay.

Here is the harness after the K24 block destroyed it during shipping.

Had the connectors repined.

So hot in AZ right now I didn't even need an oven.

Just waiting on the fuel set up, and the extra harness and I should have a start up video.

Need to figure out an axle set up and purchase a shift setup.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Good journal, great progress! I would love to find a set of Ohlins... I imagine you found a used set? How much did they set you back if you don't mind me asking?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts