Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am currently working on this project of converting an old 4x4 blazer to a hybrid... crazy i know, but some one was bound to do it.

my project is the scavenge the waste heat from the exhaust using off the shelf parts. my idea is to use a centrifugal super charger and effectively use it in reverse... use the exhaust gases to turn a turbine blade instead of compressor blade, and have that turn a DC generator here is a really simple picture

my question is... would the centrifugal supercharger be able to hold all of the heat. keep in mind its a 1L diesel engine that the exhaust will be coming from. and i guess my follow up question is... if that wont hold the heat is there any way to heat treat to fix it like swaintech coating or something or is there some other part out there that would be better suited for the job?

i came here because i know a lot of the guys on this sight have some crazy good knowledge. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts
76 Views and no reply bump

·
Registered
87 Posts
or instead of making your life complicated you can run another alternator.

Eliminates the use of extra plumbing. Essentially what your doing is an exhaust driven alternator.

If you really wanted to to that i would get a turbo, and take off the cold side housing, and bolt on a pulley instead of a turbine. Call it a day.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The problem is, it's basicly the idea mentioned above, as far as an exhaust driven alternator.

What may be a more efficient project is to make it a brakes driven hybrid. Perhaps with the idea of a brake switch activated A/C clutch attached to the axle that powers a belt. Then, literally, alternators on two or four wheels being driven by their respective clutches sending power to the batteries. On a live axle setup this may actually be do-able.

It's more along the lines of a conventional hybrid, but the point is utilizing the wasted heat from brakeing and transfering that into mechanichal->electrical energy. This would bypass having to power the generator directly off the engine.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Before investing a lot of time into this you should work through the numbers to see what you really end up with. I think by the time it's all said and done, the recovered energy won't be worth the significant bother. Plus, you still have to have a conventional brake system in case the electric brakes fail. It would be a bitter irony if the recovered energy doesn't make up for the increased vehicle weight...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
get a turbo, and take off the cold side housing, and bolt on a pulley instead of a turbine. Call it a day.
turbo spins like 100,000 rpm and generator >10,000 definitely have to step down the gearing by at least one order of magnitude but a possibility thanks.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Before investing a lot of time into this you should work through the numbers to see what you really end up with. I think by the time it's all said and done, the recovered energy won't be worth the significant bother. Plus, you still have to have a conventional brake system in case the electric brakes fail. It would be a bitter irony if the recovered energy doesn't make up for the increased vehicle weight...
That brings up a good point, and to keep from getting sued, I by no means meant that you should use alternators for brakes, lol. The idea was basically to activate the A/C clutches on brake switch onset, etc...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Depending on the load on the generator/alternator you will be looking at alot of back pressure. I would suggest looking at an organic rankine cycle system, and you will probably find a more economic way of accomplishing your goal.

Have you calculated your electrical loads as yet? While there is a possibility of using an industrial alternator to take up some of the slack in electrical needs, it will not make much of a difference. Some of the high amperage units actually take more than 10hp to keep them running.

If it was my project, I would use the orc system totally insulating the full exhaust system (thin walled) and cooling system to run a 24v 500a neihoff alternator with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts