Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i tried to search but could not find anything. i have bought a k24a3 engine. It was sitting for years. Upon opening valve cover the oil is so thick and solid on cams and other parts. i tied to clean it with every thing i got but no success.
i know proper method is to remove head and dip it in hot water etc but i want to use engine as such because if i open the head, i will have to but new gasket and head bolts.

My question is? should i swap engine as it is and change 1st oil as soon as engine warms up? will this all be clean when engine is hot ?
The engine will be going in a CRZ and than it will be supercharged with tvs 1320 SC,near 400 whp

·
Premium Member
10,428 Posts
well, if you have access to a shop that has BG products, have them run some 104 through it and then change the oil twice.. should help considerably but damn that's basically prettty fucked if you don't tear it down and clean it.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
If you pull the head for proper cleaning, you are concerned about buying a new head gasket and head studs.

However considering how grimy that head is and how long its sat, if you don't clean it properly, you risk damaging the head or the block...

On top of that you plan on boosting to 400whp???

Don't cut corners... Would be wise to clean it properly...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buying new head studs and gasket is not a problem.installing them is,as i have got no help here in a remote city.almost on my own and removing the crank pulley is main PITA.
@kommon_sense : can you elaborate how can head or block be damaged with this ?

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Hi, k24a3 so I assume you live in europe?

Well let me put it this way, the problem aint the head, all that brown and black stuff is exhausts going inside the engine. As almost all k24a3 that has run 200.000km+ your piston rings and cylinders is the problems. Bore and hone to next oversize 0.25 or 0.50mm, new pistons and rings and then you're good to go.

Boosting that engine will only make it worse, the boostpressure is gonna push alot of oil in to the combustionchamber and you will get knocks and misfire.

·
Registered
218 Posts
if the head is coated like that then it likely had no oil changes or very few. you can use kerosene and a brush to wash it out, pull oil drain plug. problem is everything inside is coated like this. 2 choices..complete teardown and rebuild or toss it in and take your chances. i would pull the oil pan and wash the head,pan,oil pickup, vtc actuators, inside block before before trying. use HD oil, HD is high detergent and will help remove the trash.just make sure you spin the engine over alot to bring oil pressure up before running it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if the head is coated like that then it likely had no oil changes or very few. you can use kerosene and a brush to wash it out, pull oil drain plug. problem is everything inside is coated like this. 2 choices..complete teardown and rebuild or toss it in and take your chances. i would pull the oil pan and wash the head,pan,oil pickup, vtc actuators, inside block before before trying. use HD oil, HD is high detergent and will help remove the trash.just make sure you spin the engine over alot to bring oil pressure up before running it.
Thanks for the info. i opened up the oil pan and cleaned every thing from bottom end. I will replace this head with another head which was laying around.will make a thread when doing my build.
and @malkolm666 its a k24a3. i dont know how it landed in Japan and from there i imported it. i also has an oil cooler

1 - 8 of 8 Posts