Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if the k20a2 utilizes f20c outers and b18c5 inners, could one not use stiffer inner springs such as portflow or others to make the valvetrain stiffer for a cam upgrade. i m sorry if my information is incorrect but i was just curious as to everyones thoughts on this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can use a vast aray of spring combinations to achieve the specs you are looking for, but keep in mind the main properties of valvespings in a head
- Seat Pressure at installed Height
- Coilbind
- Seat Pressure at Lift
- Valve Spring Weight
- Harmonics
- Wear

By changing springs you can charge any of these factors in a positive or negative way. In VTEC engines progressive springs are great for longevity and the wear characteristics, due to the softer spring rate while under non-vtec conditions. This is why the Type-R Springs are great for Street application.

·
Registered
186 Posts
didnt honda change to single valve springs in the k20a2 on the later models? if they did, wouldnt it be a better idea to run the single spring setup?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i believe they may have, but i was just thinkin of a cheaper alternative for more aggressive cams. if type r outers with portflow inners can handle over 12mm of lift on a b series, i would think some stiffer inner springs would easily allow you to run a more aggressive stage 2 or 3 cam. i just don t feel like shelling out 400 bucks when a similar alternative may cost 60.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.