Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element AWD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Am planning a build on my Honda Element. Live here in Houston, TX. Was thinking of doing an NA build (have a K24A2 long block sitting in storage), but I am now leaning towards doing FI. Am a true enthusiast, hit me up if you wanna connect.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element AWD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello all,

Am planning a build on my Honda Element. Live here in Houston, TX. Was thinking of doing an NA build (have a K24A2 long block sitting in storage), but I am now leaning towards doing FI. Am a true enthusiast, hit me up if you wanna connect.
Just bought the Merc Racing TVS900 supercharger for my Element! Now have to wait patiently for 10-12 weeks. :);)

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element AWD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello AWD, welcome to K20a.org! Looks like a nice project. Do you have a water to air cooler setup inclusively?

I like the dyno setup on IMG-4247. It looks like a DIY built one. Is it yours?
The Merc supercharger I ordered will include a modular Air to Water cooling ready manifold but it has not been set up yet. My current set up has a [email protected] intake only. They dyno pics are from my friends shop in San Antonio, TX. He is an excellent tuner and a professional. He took all four of my wheels off when putting my car on the dyno.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,013 Posts
The Merc supercharger I ordered will include a modular Air to Water cooling ready manifold but it has not been set up yet.
This is a good idea, as those scroll compressors have a lower isentropic efficiency compared to radial compressors, which lead to an even higher MAT (manifold air temperature). Cooling is a very good idea to keep ign. timing in rational areas. You may spray water-methanol at WOT for further reducing of MAT? Just an idea, not necessary

They dyno pics are from my friends shop in San Antonio, TX. He is an excellent tuner and a professional. He took all four of my wheels off when putting my car on the dyno.
Oh, sorry, this was no blaming or negative rated. I am just curious if he built it him self. The dyno stuff is very expensive and need a lot of tuning hours to get equal the invest. Many tuners built themselves a dyno, so a friend and I follow this approach (engine dyno, two for inline 4 NA engine tuning).

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element AWD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the day has finally come! Dropped the Element off on Saturday for Merc Racing TVS 900 kit install. My fabricator is working hand in hand with my tuner to make this dream come true. Attached are two pics which reflect some exterior changes and the work that is being done on my engine. The goal is to have a quick daily driver nothing too crazy.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element AWD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Air cooler? Do you mean an intercooler? I am not using a separate intercooler. I have been told it is not necessary as I am not going for huge power gains. I want this Element to remain as a comfortable daily driver for me and my family.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,013 Posts
Air cooler? Do you mean an intercooler? I am not using a separate intercooler. I have been told it is not necessary as I am not going for huge power gains. I want this Element to remain as a comfortable daily driver for me and my family.
Yes I've meant an intercooler. Without the WOT manifold air temperature goes up very high and therefore the ignition timing has to be retarded pretty much. This lowers massively WOT fuel economy. I would install an intercooler, it also increases the reliability of the engine, as retarded ign. timing heats up the engine very much and wears parts like exhaust valve and stuff by heat.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element AWD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No doubt, an intercooler improves performance. I bought the smallest air to water supercharger in the Merc Racing line up. I have the K24A4 engine that is less power than the K24A2 engine. My last dyno sheet showed 135whp with Ktuner. I have talked extensively with my tuner and researched this concern and we believe I should be fine with low boost and modest power goals of 210- 240whp.

What is good about the Merc Racing kit is that there is the option to upgrade to their proprietary cooling system in the future as necessary. It would be a $1400 upgrade (plus labor) and is recommended for bigger superchargers like the TVS1320 or TVS1900. What I am trying to do now is simply have a daily driver with a little bit more juice and does not feel underpowered. I will not be taking my Element to the race track! Instead, I will be going to the beach or to the grocery store with my family.

So wish me luck, I will check back in later and tell you all how it turns out. 🤞

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element AWD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally hit the dyno:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts