Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering if anybody can give me any advice on what motor to choose for my Ep3, I have the regular K20A3 motor, but would I be better off buying a complete k20a R motor or getting a K24A2, I was thinking of buying the K20A but using a k24 block

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I would like to know whats the best way to get the maximum horsepower out of an N/A motor, i want to use it on a track, rally, or just street use.

I don’t want to spend money on bolt ons right now because I know I won’t get much out of the motor. I have a K&N air intake and a Mishi radiator, racing mounts and a racing suspension, thermostat, silicone hoses,fan switch. Can you give me any advice on what to do next?

·
Registered
24 Posts
What's your budget? How high do you want to rev? You can make loads of power on a k20 or a k24. It's much cheaper to make it with a k24 bottom end, given the added displacement, but harder to rev high. Will you be building the bottom and/or top end of the motor as a part of your upgrade, or intending to make the most of stock components?

A k20/k24 hybrid setup will get you an easy/reliable 270+ for not a boatload if you make your choices wisely. If your idea of "maximum NA horsepower" is something like 400, 500, or more...the recipe changes a lot right along with the budget.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Tbh I want the Type R because of the fact that it’s rev limit is at 8200. I want to be able to rev up to 9000. And if I do get the type r, I want to change the pistons, and camshaft, springs, valve, etc. I know that stock will give me limits.

and would my 5 great transmission work with the type r motor or would I need the 6 speed transmission too

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
924 Posts
Tbh I want the Type R because of the fact that it’s rev limit is at 8200. I want to be able to rev up to 9000. And if I do get the type r, I want to change the pistons, and camshaft, springs, valve, etc. I know that stock will give me limits.

and would my 5 great transmission work with the type r motor or would I need the 6 speed transmission too
5 speed will work fine , but with the lower tq numbers of the k20 it will accelerate slower than with the shorter geared 6 speed. The k24 does great on the 5 speed trans.

·
Registered
24 Posts

If you're planning to change pistons/rods and cam/springs, there's no real reason to get the Type R motor. Putting those same parts into a k20a2 and adding an RBC intake manifold would generally get you the same thing for less. If you wanna rev reliably to 9k and beyond, an upgraded oil pump will be needed.

5 speed will work fine , but with the lower tq numbers of the k20 it will accelerate slower than with the shorter geared 6 speed. The k24 does great on the 5 speed trans.
Agreed. That extra .4L displacement is a giant factor when staying NA. If revving to more like 8k instead of 9k is acceptable, the parts discussed above in a k24 would end up with something like 40 extra HP from the displacement alone - with all other variables held constant.

FWIW, a trip to google would answer all these questions without involving KBulit and I. 😉 The sort of build you're talking about has been done loads and loads of times and you can find threads with piles of dynos showing what each little piece nets. If the desired end result is more exotic (400-500hp), there are far far fewer examples and the quality of tuner will be a massively important factor.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
924 Posts
I agree 100% with Matt about the k20a. They are very expensive long blocks. Best “out of the box” k series motor and ideal for people who want the performance without having to build the engine. The k20z1 is only 10 hp off the type r stock for stock. With rbc, a decent header and 3” exhaust the power difference between the 2 wouldn’t be much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree 100% with Matt about the k20a. They are very expensive long blocks. Best “out of the box” k series motor and ideal for people who want the performance without having to build the engine. The k20z1 is only 10 hp off the type r stock for stock. With rbc, a decent header and 3” exhaust the power difference between the 2 wouldn’t be much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're planning to change pistons/rods and cam/springs, there's no real reason to get the Type R motor. Putting those same parts into a k20a2 and adding an RBC intake manifold would generally get you the same thing for less. If you wanna rev reliably to 9k and beyond, an upgraded oil pump will be needed.

Agreed. That extra .4L displacement is a giant factor when staying NA. If revving to more like 8k instead of 9k is acceptable, the parts discussed above in a k24 would end up with something like 40 extra HP from the displacement alone - with all other variables held constant.

FWIW, a trip to google would answer all these questions without involving KBulit and I. 😉 The sort of build you're talking about has been done loads and loads of times and you can find threads with piles of dynos showing what each little piece nets. If the desired end result is more exotic (400-500hp), there are far far fewer examples and the quality of tuner will be a massively important factor.
Thanks guys, and okay I understand what you guys mean, buying a type r wouldn’t require all the extra stuff.

thanks Matt, this information is really helpful, I was thinking of going type R, but now that you mention about the extra .4L, I can understand why some people want the K24A2 over the K20A. I have looked through wiki at the specs on all motors and found the K20A Euro R, K24A3 to be pretty interesting. I found a K24A3 RBB for a decent price

1 - 10 of 10 Posts