Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well i got my hybrid harness in the mail and i hooked it up but i guess not correctly but anyways white smoke came from under my hood when i tried crankin it and i connected it to k pro and 2 codes came up..

1) engine coolant temp sensor circuit low
2) Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit

well anyways i un did the hybrid harness and connected it the way it was prior and i still didnt crank..i let it sit for a few mins and it started but bogged out and died, this happened for a few more cranks and then it finally stayed running.

i let it run for a lil and it seems fine now bit im still throwin the codes and now my red batt light stays on in my dash... and also my temp gauge is stayin all the way to the top now

wel can anyone explain to me whats goin on and what i broke. ugh

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
checked #4 fuse and it was blown so i replaced it. Im still throwing 2 codes that i posted earlier. my thermostat is still all the way to the top which concerns me cause i dont know if im overheating or not.

Im still worried about the white smoke i seen from under the hood near the fuse box area. I wanna know what did that and what it broke? do u guys have any idea

·
IMAKEBOOSTATIDLE
6,913 Posts
The sensors that kpro is giving you error codes for

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i understand that the ect sensor is bad but i dont know where it is to look at it. Any ideas...will that sensor make my temp gauge read in the "h" all the time

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
are you using the rsx or civic ect sensor?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im almost postive its the rsx one...any other ideas

im waitin now to see if my radiator fan is gonna come on but as of now no luck on it comin on,.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok well i cleared out all the codes so the Camshaft position code went away but that still leaves the ECT code.

I let the car run for 20 mins hoping to see if the fan will come on, well bad news, it didnt. I took it around a few blocks and it seemed OK but when i got home i let it run still and thats when it starting leaking from a small hose on the right side of the head. It could be small but anyways i want the damm fan to come on.

I immediately turned off the car and let it cool down and i left it at that, i left the upper radiator hose and it was hot like its suppose to be but the lower isnt suppose to be hot and it was.

If this is the case does this mean the thermostat is bad or the water pump?

thxs for all the help guys

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
ok well i cleared out all the codes so the Camshaft position code went away but that still leaves the ECT code.

I let the car run for 20 mins hoping to see if the fan will come on, well bad news, it didnt. I took it around a few blocks and it seemed OK but when i got home i let it run still and thats when it starting leaking from a small hose on the right side of the head. It could be small but anyways i want the damm fan to come on.

I immediately turned off the car and let it cool down and i left it at that, i left the upper radiator hose and it was hot like its suppose to be but the lower isnt suppose to be hot and it was.

If this is the case does this mean the thermostat is bad or the water pump?

thxs for all the help guys
lets me try to give a stab at this...
the thermostat and waterpump are mechanical... so the thermostat opens up when it reaches a certain temp and opens up.. it has nothing to do wit the electrical..

wit that in mind.. if upper hose is hot and lower is cold then its thermostat
if upper hose is hot and lower is slightly warm then that means the thermostat is opening up but no water circulation. so water pump is bad or goin bad

here is one thing to try.. open the radiator cap and start the car.. keep feeding water into the radiator.. if it keeps sucking it then thats good cause the pump is working.. now wen the car gets too hot becareful cause if the thermostat is not opening up then the water will shoot back out.. assuming the pump is working properly..

now if ur lower hose is cold and upper is hot then thats a thermostat issue.. i would just change that out first since its cheaper..

as for the ect.. unplug the sensor from the side of the head where the sensor is and turn the car on.. if the temp stay down then u got a bad sensor.. if not then u got a short somewhere..

i assume u running kpro? another thing u could do is start the car and warm it up and check kpro to see if its reading a temp... if its reading a temp in kpro but still reads all the way up on the cluster then u got a short or bad connection somewhere between the cluster and ecu..

jus some stuff to try

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
lets me try to give a stab at this...
the thermostat and waterpump are mechanical... so the thermostat opens up when it reaches a certain temp and opens up.. it has nothing to do wit the electrical..

wit that in mind.. if upper hose is hot and lower is cold then its thermostat
if upper hose is hot and lower is slightly warm then that means the thermostat is opening up but no water circulation. so water pump is bad or goin bad

here is one thing to try.. open the radiator cap and start the car.. keep feeding water into the radiator.. if it keeps sucking it then thats good cause the pump is working.. now wen the car gets too hot becareful cause if the thermostat is not opening up then the water will shoot back out.. assuming the pump is working properly..

now if ur lower hose is cold and upper is hot then thats a thermostat issue.. i would just change that out first since its cheaper..

as for the ect.. unplug the sensor from the side of the head where the sensor is and turn the car on.. if the temp stay down then u got a bad sensor.. if not then u got a short somewhere..

i assume u running kpro? another thing u could do is start the car and warm it up and check kpro to see if its reading a temp... if its reading a temp in kpro but still reads all the way up on the cluster then u got a short or bad connection somewhere between the cluster and ecu..

jus some stuff to try
Very good advice. Sounds like the t-stat to me. Cheap and easy fix for you hopefully.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok guys im gonna go try that right now...so the upper rad house is suppose to be hot and so is the lower? or is the lower suppose to be cool.

as for the waterpump, if its goin is that an easy fix for a guy like myself or is that something i gotta take to the shop.

also the temp gauge thats readin wrong cause of the sensor u think or maybe a short

and does anyone have a pic or a more detailed location or where the ETC sensor is

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok X i did the test that u asked me to do.

I opened the cap and top off the fluid with water...well it sucked it up for like 15 mins and i added some also along the way which gave me the though that the waterpump is ok..after like 35 or runnin it started spitting it, is this normal? also the fan never came on and i dont know where the ETC sensor is so if anyone has a pic, that wuold be nice.

ugh plz help guys

oh yea kpro says the temp is 124 degrees and it stayed there the whole time

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the guys at hybrid are sayin that the reason the temp gauge is in the H is becasue the sensor is grounded out. well how can i fix thix problem, i ordered another sensor, will this fix it or what

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i unplugged it and the temp gauge dropped.. i didnt unplug it and check to see if it wa still throwin a code if thats what u mean.

well if its a short when can i do to fix this

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok well i got the senosor yesterday and i installed it. well good news it worked. my temp gauge went back to normal and my fan kicked on when its suppose to. I looked at the sensor and one of the prongs was all burnt up so im so happy shes fixed now..Thxs to all who help me out thru this. gettin it tuned tby the end of this week

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.