Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continuing on my build ( http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32179 ) I decided to freshen up the head, relap the valves, check specs, new valve seals ....blah blah well anyway ive had the head for about a year bought it off someone here well i hadnt checked it checked it till yesterday well turns out i got 4 busted valves (the ends where keepers go are gone) Well anyways bout ten bucks a valve not bad... when i was looking on hondapartsunlimited the picture shows dual valve springs :confused: my head only had one valve spring...theres a number in the pic for the smaller inner spring but it doesnt show the price nor part number for it....soooo? No inner valve spring?

Anyone know wuts up with that?

Also anyone got 4 intake valves laying around?

Over rev caused this broken valve end? maybe?

Thanks again guys

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
type-s heads came with different valvespring combinations. I believe that 02-03 had different combinations of dual valve springs. The 04 had singles.

I'd recommend going with new valves. However if interested, I have 5 or 6 intake valves.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
type-s heads came with different valvespring combinations. I believe that 02-03 had different combinations of dual valve springs. The 04 had singles.

I'd recommend going with new valves. However if interested, I have 5 or 6 intake valves.
Cool thanks, is there a way to find out what yeah head i have? i remember the bseries had a stamp where u could figure out what year it was....but is there a way on the S head to know the year?

Yeah as far as the valves go ill probably just buy new ones ...thanks anyways

As far as the valve springs go... is the single just as good as the dual valve spring combo? im stickin with all oem parts... soo aftermarket is something i dont want.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
The 02' came with dual springs, mid 03' they went with dual exhaust and single intake springs, 04' they went single on both.

I have had excellent success with the OEM spring combo that IPS lists for the K2's, on more applications than the K2's.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
easiest way to tell is by what color valve springs you have :) someone posted a thread of how to identify based on spring color and dual/single setups.

IPS had an oem recommended combo that was good up until about 8500rpm or so. It is on their web page.

There are a number of good aftermarket valvespring setup. I went with the Eibach EVS dual spring setup. Costs roughly the same as an oem setup. I think they are good up until around 9500rpms or so. I have no intentions of going anywhere near that high, but considering I plan to do hpde events, I wanted the extra reliability.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool ill have to check that IPS thing out... i just want a fun k24/s with oem parts soo i probably wont need to ever rev past 8k im sure. If i remember correctly i think i had orange/blue single springs.....

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Cool ill have to check that IPS thing out... i just want a fun k24/s with oem parts soo i probably wont need to ever rev past 8k im sure. If i remember correctly i think i had orange/blue single springs.....
I have a Blue color for exhaust, and a dirty yellow- brownish color for intake:confused:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i checked out that IPS website and im wondering what kinda of gain i would see from those k2's , k24/s with tsx pistons... anyone?

Ok so i was searching to see where to buy these IPS k2...and no luck is there a back order? also how much do they run? thanks again guys ...couldnt have gotten as far as i have without this site!!!!

·
Registered
44,673 Posts

·
Registered
44,673 Posts
So are some springs good enuff to use with aftermarket cams? But!! How long will they be able to hold up to the added abuse of high revs and more lift?
This is the parts list from IPS for the OEM upgraded valvetrain, this is only recommended for stock bottom end motors:
Dished retainer - 14765-PRB-A01
Yellow outer spring - 14761-PCX-003
Red inner spring - 14752-PRB-A01
Max safe rpm: 8500rpm

·
Registered
208 Posts
i'd go with aftermarket springs if its apart just in case you mis-shift and over rev the motor you wont trash anything in the head... do it once with stock stuff and you will probably drop some valves.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
This is the parts list from IPS for the OEM upgraded valvetrain, this is only recommended for stock bottom end motors:
Dished retainer - 14765-PRB-A01
Yellow outer spring - 14761-PCX-003
Red inner spring - 14752-PRB-A01
Max safe rpm: 8500rpm
I assume use stock retainers? What year retainers if so, because I know they re-designed them at one point....maybe the 05 model year?

·
Registered
44,673 Posts
AcuraAutomotiveParts.org has the retainer listed as being from:
RSX '02 - '06
TSX '06 - '07
As far as the change, that was just in the 05 TSX's, so make sure you get the PRB cotter's, not the PR7's

Part Number 11 in the pic

More info is in the sticky in this section:up:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Well i checked out that IPS website and im wondering what kinda of gain i would see from those k2's , k24/s with tsx pistons... anyone?

Ok so i was searching to see where to buy these IPS k2...and no luck is there a back order? also how much do they run? thanks again guys ...couldnt have gotten as far as i have without this site!!!!

There $1900 with the Eibach DVS and Retainer Combo.

As of right now, eat your heart out K20a.org.

I have 8 sets available to SHIP!! want them overnight :p SCTuned can do it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts