Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my swap was running perfect! Backed the car out of the garage and hit my exhaust in the driveway so I shut it down (Or it died I can't remember) to check her out. I saw the cat was hitting so went to pull it back into the garage but wouldn't start.

I checked everything out and the ecu isn't powering up! The obd scan tool wouldn't even turn on with the key on now. Before this it ran and didn't even have a CEL. The wires from the Hybrid harness are fine and all connected still.

Any ideas why the ecu wouldn't get power now? Everything worked fine for months and the motor ran great. All engine grounds are still showing 12volts with the car on. Everything else works (Windows, sunroof, radio & lights) still but the ecu so the fuel pump wont turn on. Did I somehow fry the ecu? I'm at a loss after checking the grounds and relays tonight.

2001 Integra GSR
JDM K20A
2002-2005 Japanese DC5 Integra Type R (PRC-O ECU)
Hybrid Racing EVERYTHING!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another note: Before when you started the car the "CEL" turned on then off when you started the car but now it doesn't light up at all.

Car still cranks but wont start w/o ecu power. Does the ECU have a ground on the thermostat housing like a B-Series? Main fuse on the Hybrid Racing harness somehow crap out?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Did You Check The Fuses Under The Hood And Under The Dash Cuz There Is One Fuse For The Ecu

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im thinking somehow my ecu got fried I gotta do some pinout voltage test. Still not sure how it happened if that is the case. I'm not off of work till Friday to go over it with Hybrid.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
There is no Fuse on the HR harness, there under your dash and in your engine bay.

How does the wiring on your O2 sensor look?

Have you tested your ECU in another car?

Open the ECU case and see if it smells burnt, usually if you damage the ECU it gets a toasty smell to it.

What have you done to the car recently?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
im gonna guess and say you have a fuse blown as well. check all your fuses.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would avoid opening the ECU until you check EVERYTHING else. If you have warranty on the ECU you will void that really quick. I would try it in another car first and see if it powers up. I work with PCB's for a living and I can pull a perfectly good circuit board out of my equipment and just from heat from capacitors and components, they always have a 'smell' to them. Now if you really burned something up, you would have smelled it when it happened, or be able to smell a strong burnt smell from the opening by the USB port. Check your ground directly from your battery and make sure it is getting good ground and check all fuses. I dont think there are any sensors that will cause the ecu to not work. When you turn the key, can you bring up the ECU with your computer and detect it? could be so many things... Hybrids harness is the last thing to look at if you had it running before

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Russ/Will @ Hybrid...

The wiring on the 02 would all looked fine on both 02 sensors. I also didn't have any "burning" smell from the ecu when it happened. What fuse is just for the ecu power under the hood?

The only thing I did to the car recently was a new IACV and it started right up after that and ran great till I backed it out of the garage and hit the mid-pipe on the exhaust then everything died. All my wiring is perfect and nothing is half ass at all.

And no I havent tried the ecu on another car yet I gotta find someone with an RSX around here. Plus the JDM ecu wouldn't start a USDM RSX anyway right?

I'm going to re-check all fuses tomorrow and call you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would avoid opening the ECU until you check EVERYTHING else. If you have warranty on the ECU you will void that really quick. I would try it in another car first and see if it powers up. I work with PCB's for a living and I can pull a perfectly good circuit board out of my equipment and just from heat from capacitors and components, they always have a 'smell' to them. Now if you really burned something up, you would have smelled it when it happened, or be able to smell a strong burnt smell from the opening by the USB port. Check your ground directly from your battery and make sure it is getting good ground and check all fuses. I dont think there are any sensors that will cause the ecu to not work. When you turn the key, can you bring up the ECU with your computer and detect it? could be so many things... Hybrids harness is the last thing to look at if you had it running before
I checked all grounds and I'm going to recheck the fuses. All grounds are good b/c my OEM harness still has power for the fuel pump and such.

And to answer your question no I can't bring up the ECU and detect with the car to the "on" position like it would before this happened.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hey if it died when you smacked the mid, what are the odds that it tripped ur knock sensor and now it is shut down, have you disconnected the battery for a bit and then try to reconnect to power up your ECU, not sure if this will help but it sounds almost believable..... just a thought, g/l with it, your ECU might have gone into some type of safe mode

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Any updates?

So it says connected / off line in the lower left corner?

I think you need to test the ECU in another car to determine if it is damaged or not.

If it says ignition OFF you need to check E9 on our conversion harness for 12v with the key on. When this wire receives 12v the ECU will say Ignition on.

Hope that helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts