Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this old CarAndDriver article about a twin-engine CRX, http://www.carlustblog.com/2008/02/car-lust--twin.html

Their car was made with just two 76 hp CRX motors, but it worked surprisingly well. There is also one other car that I know of that has two independent engines, it is the MTM bimotto Audi TT.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any modern interpretations of this design utilizing the K engine.

I have done some searching and came across a guy who was making an awd twin engined H22 powered del-sol, but it looks like he never finished the project.

Anyways, if anyone knows of anything like this please post it, I am in the planning phase of building up a project car and this idea has really piqued my interest.

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,648 Posts
I've fanasized about it. There are some mid engine K20 or K24 Del Sol builds here. And that leaves an empty engine bay. Seems like it'd be possible. I'd assume you'd have to connect two sets of shifter cables to one shifter. Would probably help to have two engines with similarly close rev limits and gearing.

I say look up the RWD MR Del Sol builds first. Because the front engine is pretty straightforward. I'd definitely be following a twin engine build if you start one. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^Thanks
I'll check those out.
Im sure there is an insane amount of work involved with fitting a transaxle into the back of a civic but, stranger things have been done, and that is half of the reason why Im so interested in it. I think it would be a really great challenge, and the feeling of around 600 NA hp channeled through awd would be pretty cool too.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Not really... see my book in sig ;)

Twin engines are okay for drag racing but that's about it. The problem on a road course happens in the corners. One engine will pull slighly more than the other which will cause under or oversteer. Give it a bit more or less gas, now the other engine might pull harder. Every twin engine car I've read about was so bad in corners that it was brushed off as unimportant, and stuck to bragging about straight-line speed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what I had originally thought and was planning on tackling that through some electronic controls, but then both those cars I mentioned above claimed that the two engines ran independently of each other and didnt need any electronic controls because the road itself kept everything in sync. I guess I got my hopes up for nothing though if they both stink in the corners, cuz I dont want a drag car, so I may have to reconsider trying to control it through electronics. Or I may just consider a mid engine design.

I checked out both your links in your sig, that is some impressive stuff.
Thanks for the info.

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,648 Posts
I agree that both engines would run independant of one another. It's like pressing the gas pedal while going downhill. Each engine just adds to momentum. I do feel they should have a similar rev limits and gear ratios. Just so when you shift, you're close to the limit on both engines and transmissions. But it's also possible to get gear ratios that top out at the same time for each engine's rev limit... But that's too complex to figure out. :D

But I don't see how handling would be any different than an AWD being powered by one engine and multiple differentials. Each set of wheels can move at a different speed in either case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree that both engines would run independant of one another. It's like pressing the gas pedal while going downhill. Each engine just adds to momentum. I do feel they should have a similar rev limits and gear ratios. Just so when you shift, you're close to the limit on both engines and transmissions. But it's also possible to get gear ratios that top out at the same time for each engine's rev limit... But that's too complex to figure out. :D

But I don't see how handling would be any different than an AWD being powered by one engine and multiple differentials. Each set of wheels can move at a different speed in either case.
I came across this old CarAndDriver article about a twin-engine CRX, http://www.carlustblog.com/2008/02/car-lust--twin.html

Their car was made with just two 76 hp CRX motors, but it worked surprisingly well. There is also one other car that I know of that has two independent engines, it is the MTM bimotto Audi TT.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any modern interpretations of this design utilizing the K engine.

I have done some searching and came across a guy who was making an awd twin engined H22 powered del-sol, but it looks like he never finished the project.

Anyways, if anyone knows of anything like this please post it, I am in the planning phase of building up a project car and this idea has really piqued my interest.
I have had few twin engined cars and they are great fun. They are not too difficult to build but you need to use two identical engines and boxes for ease of getting the car tp run smoothly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts