Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this turbo kit from user builtnboostedeg on here, he said the turbo only had 10 miles on it, but when i got my car runnig, it smokes when it cold idles and i can smell oil buring. The tuner said it probably had an exhaust seal leaking. Still smokes some when it warms up, but not near as bad. Does this sound right?

·
Premium Member
10,420 Posts
he just had the seals replaced by precision i though??? i dunno man. but it sounds liek that way

·
Registered
118 Posts
you find no shaft play after you started it up and ran it? I know it seems like a lot of work but if it was me I would install it, run it through a couple boosts then take it back off and check to see if there is any shaft play. the reason I say this is because if he, or someone else, rebuilt it and didnt straighten the shaft of ballance it then it my work its way out of alignment again.

However this wouldnt be the reason for bad seals, but it does seem like you are witnessing the symptoms. Make sure the return line doesnt have a kink it it as well...

I hate buying new turbos, and something sounds fishy about spending all that money to have someone rebuild a turbo (or even rebuild it yours) put 10 miles on it and take it back off to sell it.... Just me but thats my 2 cents bro

·
Registered
692 Posts
Your turbo was replaced by Precision, not rebuilt.

If there's smoke, I bet it's from the primaries on the manifold, or stuff baking off in the downpipe.

The seals were KILLED on the old turbo and circulated a BUNCH of oil through the engine.

- Derek

·
Registered
390 Posts
Does the car have oil in the intercooler pipes or on the intake side? Also check your oil return line, and oil levels. If you have to much oil in the turbo, it will not drain correctly.

Also what size oil line are you feeding into the turbo? -3an or -4an?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the car have oil in the intercooler pipes or on the intake side? Also check your oil return line, and oil levels. If you have to much oil in the turbo, it will not drain correctly.

im feeding it with a -2an i believe. Some further things im seeing is that when you get on the gas and let of, it smokes when you let of the gas for a few seconds. I was hoping it was just oil buring out of the exhaust but its been doing it 4 a lil while now so im begining to wonder

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

no oil in the intercooler pipes either

·
Banned
811 Posts
im feeding it with a -2an i believe.
No such thing. Im sure you have a 3an. Also when my turbo seals took a shit the first time precision sent me a brand new turbo. No rebuild or anything of that type. I bet when installing it you kinked the drain. If you didnt run it the proper way it would have been easy to do. If thats not the case then the only thing you see is oil burning out of the manifold. Check the front of the turbo. See if there is any oil seeping out. That would be a for sure way to see if the seals are gone....

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No such thing. Im sure you have a 3an. Also when my turbo seals took a shit the first time precision sent me a brand new turbo. No rebuild or anything of that type. I bet when installing it you kinked the drain. If you didnt run it the proper way it would have been easy to do. If thats not the case then the only thing you see is oil burning out of the manifold. Check the front of the turbo. See if there is any oil seeping out. That would be a for sure way to see if the seals are gone....
ur right it is 3 an i knew it was a smaller than 4an. i have the drain line ran pretty smooth to the back of the oil pan, im sure its not kinked in any way. the front of the turbo is clean....like new. ive herd from a few peple that precision is bad for seals going out but i dont know

·
Banned
811 Posts
ur right it is 3 an i knew it was a smaller than 4an. i have the drain line ran pretty smooth to the back of the oil pan, im sure its not kinked in any way. the front of the turbo is clean....like new. ive herd from a few peple that precision is bad for seals going out but i dont know
You need to make sure it runs OVER the coolant lines. Thats how I blew the seals previously. Im assuming you got your downpipe issue solved?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You need to make sure it runs OVER the coolant lines. Thats how I blew the seals previously. Im assuming you got your downpipe issue solved?
yeah i got that issue solved. what do you mean by run it over the water lines. i have the water lines T taped into the T/B coolant lines. I have it run under the turbo and behind the rear motor mount, down to the plug in the oil pan which is to the left of the drain plug. Another issue im having is running the coolant lines to the heater core. i dont see how they go cuz the D/P runs right where the route. any suggestions?

·
Banned
811 Posts
yeah i got that issue solved. what do you mean by run it over the water lines. i have the water lines T taped into the T/B coolant lines. I have it run under the turbo and behind the rear motor mount, down to the plug in the oil pan which is to the left of the drain plug. Another issue im having is running the coolant lines to the heater core. i dont see how they go cuz the D/P runs right where the route. any suggestions?
Yea the drain should go OVER those coolant lines that run to the heater core. What I did with mine is I cut them and used hose clamps and a few 90degree pipes to route them away from the downpipe. Plus I heat wrapped them so they dont get hot.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I dont think your turbo seals are gone. If there isnt any oil in the intake/intercooler pipes.

What color smoke? bluish??
Is the motor healthy?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dont think your turbo seals are gone. If there isnt any oil in the intake/intercooler pipes.

What color smoke? bluish??
Is the motor healthy?
its a dark smoke and motor is healthy... it made 450whp on 10psi...aslo it runs a lil rich...like 11s and 12 at part throttle rich.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea the drain should go OVER those coolant lines that run to the heater core. What I did with mine is I cut them and used hose clamps and a few 90degree pipes to route them away from the downpipe. Plus I heat wrapped them so they dont get hot.
did you run the heater lines over or under your downpipe? also what size heater hose and do you have any pics that shows them run?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts