Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellas. Everytime I find myself in a bind I come to you all to find my asnwers. So here I find myself asking how difficult a turbo rebuild is? I'm seeing it as pretty simple, as I can take the old setup apart and remeber how I took it apart and just reassemble to unit. I'm just wondering if there are special tools I need for this job, if the average mechanic can tear into a turbo and rebuild it?

Also I hear people all the time talking about rewheeling their turbos. I have googled the idea but I haven't found any answers as to my advantage of rewheeling my turbo. I have a Greddy type TD06L2-20G which is a mitsobishi 49179-52010. I'm pretty sure its a rather big setup, and the damn thing lags like crazy, but is there anything else I could do beside rebuild it to benifit me, besides going with a different turbo all together?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well I've already got the turbo apart! Pretty easy to rebuild, but I have looked at a few articles on websites that sell the rebuild kits talking about getting the turbo ballanced after the rebuild. WTF! If I go through all this trouble to rebuild it myself and have to hand the turbo over to someone to ballance it then I'm going to be pissed. Is there any way I could do this "ballancing" myself???

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Unless you're a gambler, no.

No one complains about having parts balanced when rebuilding an engine...

·
Registered
477 Posts
You will want to have the rotating assembly balanced. The gyration of an unbalanced rotating assembly in the center section can cause more then just vertical rub and shaft play resulting in needing a new turbine/shaft center cartridge, bearings, seals, and backing plate(basically a whole new turbo). Having it balanced is roughly $40 and helps with reliability, spool, and power.

I've sent my rotating assemblies to Brian at BNR Supercars, and he really does a bang up job, with short turn-around time.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Send the turbine, compressor wheel, and nut partially assembled. He will send it back with the balancing marks in place, just line everything up and your cherry.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do the marks indicate? This may be a dumb question but I'm lost on the ballancing process. Can anyone explain how the assembly is ballanced? I have a problem of trying to see the whole picture and here I cant seem to figure out how they "ballance" a turbo assembly.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Its very similar to an engines rotating assembly. They will assemble the turbine shaft, compressor wheel, and nut on the machine, the machine will spin it, and indicate where material needs to be taken off. The balancer will machine where he/she needs to and repeat step one.

You can see the balancing mark on this compressor wheel just below the nut.

Here are some good references.
Balancing
Balancing and Rebuilding

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I just went to gpopshop.com and they are wanting 65.00 for a ballancing. however I read on their FAQ that if the wheel hasnt touched the housing and was careful to mark the location of the lock nut then you should be ok. It's only a TDO6/20G which isnt a hug tubro so is this really necessary????

·
Registered
477 Posts
I depends on a few things. Mostly the question is; what caused the turbo to fail in the first place?

If it was contamination in the oil line(particles, antifreeze, etc..) you should be ok. And normally this is the case.
If it was a short cool down time(no turbo timer, and not letting the car cool down after driving), your shaft may be warped and a balance will tell you.
Or it could be that the assembly was out of balance from the factory/wherever.

Also, the size of the turbo doesnt matter as much. In fact, some think it's more importent to get the balance correct on the smaller turbo's because their efficiency rates put them at much higher rpm, on top of the smaller diameter center shaft.

If you decide to bypass balancing the turbo, you will have to be sure to mark the nut, compressor wheel, AND turbine shaft to make sure they all line up when you put it back together.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CRAP I know why it failed, and that was because the guy that previously had the car ran the hell out of it in high boost runs then just turned the car off with no Turbo Timer.... If the shaft is warped will I need a new one? If I get a new shaft I'm going to just change the whole damn turbo because I can stand how this one uses the three bolt flange shaped like a triangle. I feel like that restricts exhaust flow to it....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I have to pay I have to pay.... But I really dont want to have to buy a new shaft, otherwise I will move onto a new turbo setup...

·
Registered
727 Posts
If I have to pay I have to pay.... But I really dont want to have to buy a new shaft, otherwise I will move onto a new turbo setup...
yeah i hear ya but that guy is really reasonable so i would give him a call and see what he could do for ya, and if you do tell him sab from NJ referred you.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well I call trimsturbos and they stated 350 would be the cost of a rebuild/shaft straightening and everything else needed to get the turbo running like perfect.

Does anyone know anything about this TD06-20G turbo? Ive tried googling to find out about the turbo but is it worth my money or should I move on to a new setup?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Personally, I would take advantage of this opportunity to setup the turbo system exactly the way you want it. But I dont know what your budget constraints are.

If your prior turbo had a tough enough life, it just may be time to retire and move onward and upward.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The turbo had a lot of shaft play, so I pulled the TD06L2-20G turbo off the car and took it apart to do a rebuild. Once I got the turbo apart I found that the inducer had been contacting the housing enough to cut into the compressor housing and take metal away from the inducer... SOOOO I called greddy and they want 2130 for the turbo new, and I can force myself to purchase the same turbo for that much. They also stated that those wheels are outragiously high and would be cost effective to get a new one. HOWEVER I found an inducer for the exact turbo on ebay (new) here is a link eBay Motors: Turbo Compressor Wheel Mitsubishi TD05H TD06 20G (item 380079837895 end time Dec-08-08 03:06:01 PST)

Now I know you get what you pay for and more so with turbos on ebay but how could I go wrong with this wheel? At this point I relize I will have to send the turbo to be ballanced so I figured weight of the wheel wouldnt be a huge issue as the ballance will take care of it.

The turbo has a 3 bolt flange so if I go with a new turbo I will have to get mani,down tube, figure out what to do with my wg, and oil lines...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts