Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in this months issue of Sport Compact that Skunk chose to do a full race gauge setup due to the fact that the K20a Kpro version wouldn't run the stock gauge cluster.

After thinking about this I was forced to make some assumptions. The first of those being that the water and oil pressure must be the same, so that wasn't the issue. The tach runs off the same type of ignition system so that couldn't be it. So all I can assume is that the incompatibility is the result of 1 of 2 things. Either the vehicle speed sensor is vastly different in ouput, or the stock TSX's multiplex system creates some sort of conflict.

So question is, which one is it? If it's neither, then someone let me in on the secret.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's both. The RSX dash is partially muliplexed (water temp plus some idiot lights) whereas the TSX dash is almost fully multiplexed, using a different type of multiplex link. Thus the RSX ECU will not drive the TSX dash. Also the TSX speed and tach are driven from the TSX ECU, and the RSX ECU does not have both these outputs. The VSS is different between each vehicle, with the TSX using a sensor wheel on the transmission counter shaft with about 50 times the number of pulses per wheel revolution than the RSX VSS.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Rubber Chicken said:
The VSS is different between each vehicle, with the TSX using a sensor wheel on the transmission counter shaft with about 50 times the number of pulses per wheel revolution than the RSX VSS.
So you can not use the TSX tranny with an RSX ECU? K-pro, AEM EMS whatever?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well damn, ain't this just gonna be a bitch. Well the vss signal I can deal with. I've made a 6cyl ranger cluster work in a 4 cyl. by driving the cluster and putting it on a scope, so I can overcome that part. My question is on the multiplexer. From what you know rubber chicken, if the multiplexer were obtained from the TSX, would this be possibly made compatible with some creative wiring?
My problem right now, is I need to buy me some new Helms and get into these two cars to see what's going on. I am just stabbin in the dark at this point, trying to see a light at the end of my tunnel I've built.
It seems an easier option would possibly be to await Hondata's release of the K24A2 version of Kpro. From there ditch the TSX tranny, translate the vss signal electronically from a K20a tranny so it's compatible, then obtain the necessary components from a TSX to install a gas pedal in my car capable of operating throttle by wire. Only thing is, who knows when Hondata is going to release a TSX kpro?

·
Registered
71 Posts
At this point you need to say what you have and where you're heading - otherwise I'm guessing and just throwing random facts around. It this a future engine swap, a stock TSX, a RSX with TSX engine etc ? There will be a solution for almost everything you want to do.
who knows when Hondata is going to release a TSX kpro
Well your question should be 'Is Hondata going to produce a product similar to the KPro for the TSX?' I'm sorry to tell you the answer at this point is no.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that's unfortunately what I figured (no TSX Kpro).

Well, the deal is, is I have a TSX engine going into my EF. Since I needed a cluster I was originally going after the s2000, but that was getting done by a few people. Well at about that time I came across a destroyed TSX which I was able to get the cluster from. So the TSX cluster is going to go into the CRX come hell or high water. The deal is though, I have 7 other cars to finish before I can get to mine. Once I am able to get my CRX underway, I will embark on trying to figure this out. Any input you may have would be appreciated though. Like you were saying about throwing out random facts, that's how I feel at this point being I haven't dove in to this project just yet. I still need to grab up the Helm's for this cars.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The answer is use to the RSX ECU for your swap. If you really, really want to get the TSX dash running then you'll need to run the TSX ECU as well as the RSX ECU and feed to TSX ECU enough sensors for it to run the dash. The TSX multiplexer is run from the under dash fuse box, so there's going to be a lot of wiring to sort out. Also the speed signals from the two transmissions is different, so you may need to make a pulse converter if using the RSX transmission. It's as much work getting the TSX dash running as doing the swap, but your call.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
I am going to be putting the TSX motor in to my 99 EK. I am thinking that the TSX tranny would have the best gearing for this motor. I have talked to Hybrid about possibly making a mount for the TSX tranny but from what I gather from your earlier post, the TSX tranny uses a different signal than the RSX . SO does that mean that the RSX designed K-pro will not be able to correctly read the signal from the TSX tranny?

:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Rubber Chicken said:
We're altering the software to allow the TSX / 05 RSX transmissions to be used.
Alright cool...

Well I will wait a little longer to order the trans then. I want to be sure I will be able to use it before I buy it... Is this something that you guys are already working on, or is it just a plan at this point?

Thanks
:cool: :up: :up:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, thanks rubber chicken...I guess that about covers it. I suppose I am gonna have to really think about this, and how much I want to pursue this. I feel I would still like to do it, but I know getting those plugs for the back of the TSX cluster along with the multiplexer is gonna be a bitch. I guess that's what'll end up determining whether I do it or not.

Can you disable the VSS through Kpro?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.