Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm wondering why so many K-series 4-2-1 headers have a 1-3, 2-4 (or 1-2, 3-4) pairing? And why not 1-4, 2-3?

·
Registered
44,673 Posts
Who makes them in that configuration?
Maybe it is for space constraints?

Maybe Casey, John, Stefan, Danny or some of the other header designers can chime in...in the mean time, people should read this post :up:
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9046

Casey Heerman (formally of Burns)

Burns K-series Inconel Header circa 2005/6

Danny Tran (SSR)

SSR K-series Budget Header (disco'd)

SSR CL7 Header

Stefan Barbu (ASP)

DC Sports Race header (ceramic) part # AHR6516

Custom Long Tube (LoveFab) (2005)

Joe McCarthy (Prototype Racing) (2005-2006)

Prima Racing HC TSX (2008)

Buddy Club 2006 Si header

Following quotes are taken from this thread
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12766
that is some beautiful fabrication work......

i'm a newb here so its my job to ask questions. here goes

both the burns and and dtr headers are 4-2-1. is it accepted that this works better than 4-1 on the k-series? the burns header pairs cylinders 1-4 and 2-3. meanwhile the dtr pairs 1-2 and 3-4. what's up with that? thanks

jim
i think that cylinder 1 and 4 work in tandem, that is to say the fire at the same time thus have gases being expelled at the same time, i think then this would reduce the individual pulses to only 2 at a time rather than 4 individual pulses, i think this would create more power. How? I dont know how to explain it i just feel that this would be the case, Ekasey: Correct me if im wrong on this
They do not fire at the same time they have 360 deg. of separation between then.

Zig, just e-mail me below if you would like to discuss this matter further.

Jim we have built 4:1's and Tri-y's for the K Series engines we do it per application every header is different. To tell you the truth I'm not the hugest fan of the Tri-Y but it works well when it's done correctly!

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The K-Tuned 4-2-1 header is another 1-4, 2-3 pairing. I don't see any difference between 1-3/2-4 or 1-2/3-4 pairings. If I'm not mistaken, the firing order is 1-3-4-2? Maybe I got the 2 and 3 backwards but it doesn't matter. 1 and 3 will always fire alongside each other as would 1 and 2, 2 and 4 as well as 3 and 4. Cylinders 1 and 4 will fire at opposite ends just like 2 and 3 fire at opposite ends. That's why I'm wondering why there are so few header designs with the 1-4 and 2-3 pairings.

While digging around, I just found this crazy artlicle on here:
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3316

The Tri-Y header design teams up cylinders on opposite sides of the firing order as much as possible. This way, exhaust pulses fill pipes that have been empty the longest, resulting in a more-balanced flow of exhaust from the engine while encouraging maximum scavenging. There's power in this, since hot gases are not fighting each other to get out of the engine.
All portions of Burns' headers are hand fabricated and hand welded. It's this level of craftsmanship that has taken Burns to the top of the header game for professional racers of all disciplines. Few manufacturers have product at the top of all motorsports disciplines the way Burns does, as you'll find his products exhausting tractor pullers, inport drag cars, and road racers in addition to the aforementioned Winston Cup and NHRA/IHRA drag cars. They're not cheap, but they are the best.
While having a pair of headers completely custom-designed and hand-crafted for your specific application may be overkill for a street machine, Burns sells plenty of parts that are streetworthy and can add power across the rpm scale. His merged collectors can make your existing headers more effective, and incorporating one of Burns' X-pipes behind the collectors and ahead of the mufflers will reduce noise while adding even more power.

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump. Want info!

·
Registered
51 Posts
prototype racing made a few kswap headers, the pairing was 1-4 and 2-3, talking about more than few years back, if a remember like 2004 or 2005,PTR made one for shawn hillier, one for dereck from hondata, and a few custom for TSXs and others, but i think he did not make more than 10 overall for Kswap cars.

Shawn was pushing 250whp+ and a 180tq+ on churchs dyno,one of the first , if not the first to do it on a stock k20aR on churchs dyno, on a simple setup : hondata kpro, Toda N cams, prototype racing header, 3 inch custom exhaust...

there is no pic of the whole header....just some angles, but looking at them, it would look like a reversed RMF B series version 2 header, reversed for K series...

·
Registered
44,673 Posts
Posted a pic of the Prototype Racing header you mentioned hj :wink:
Also added more pics of headers from Burns, DC, SSR and a custom long tube header.

This is a great thread with good discussions, I highly recommend it :up:
http://k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12789

·
Registered
44,673 Posts
does anyone know if joe mcarthy has an email address i can get hold of him?
joe (at) prototyperacing dot com (without the spaces and correct punctuation)
That is the email I have on file for him, but the last correspondence I had with him was a couple years ago.

·
Registered
44,673 Posts
Do u have a link? sorry to be a pain in the ass lol
I believe his site is down. I checked the URL for the product I had inquired about in the past (from which I had his email addy from) and I also checked the main page. Both URLs are timing out as if the page is no longer available.
Joe McCarthy is his user name here, but he has not logged in since November.
stefan's headers are top notched

but look at the joe mcarthy one, did they dyno the header?
Yes, he dyno'd it. It was built for an Elise, and I believe it was his personal car that was in the American Touge video. I am sure he has changed the design a few times in the 5-6 years since he posted that picture.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I believe his site is down. I checked the URL for the product I had inquired about in the past (from which I had his email addy from) and I also checked the main page. Both URLs are timing out as if the page is no longer available.
Joe McCarthy is his user name here, but he has not logged in since November.

Yes, he dyno'd it. It was built for an Elise, and I believe it was his personal car that was in the American Touge video. I am sure he has changed the design a few times in the 5-6 years since he posted that picture.

oh i see thanks for the good info i just wanted to know how much one like this would cost for my Accord (TSX)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts