Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up k20.. i have a 2002 rsx base with all the basic bolt ons... headers, exhaust, and intake....i want to be able to get to 200 whp... i was thinking of changing the camshafts because i heard many things about this....

i need to know how i would do this and what exactly i would need so i dont mess it up.. also im going all motor so no turbo, supercharger, or nos... lol

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
save ur money and get a type s motor. even with bolt ons and k pro there is minimal hp gains with basic bolt ons. if you absolutely cant get rid of the a3, look into a jackon racing charger and thatll be the best route for quick power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was thinking of doing a swap but theres no way i can get that type of money right now... and i dont wanna go turbo or super charge... i was reading a lot about changing the cams or using the a2 cams on the a3 block.....

·
Registered
117 Posts
like everyone else said modding the a3 just isn't worth it. If money is a problem Id suggest getting one of the cheaper k24's, either the a4 or a1. You can find them for under or around a grand.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You can keep ur a3 engine, but. Change the camshaft ,rods and pistons from a2 and oil pump that is only cuple hundreds keep stock head reflash ur ecu 295$ then it go up to 185+hp if u need more k-pro 900$ 310injectors 200hp .engine swap is a lot money but if u have it,go for

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't listen to these guys, there being a bunch of pig headed assholes, seriously I can't stand people who knock on a motor with less power claiming your slow and it's not worth the money to build an LS or an A3 and what not. I built my previous A3 and pissed all over Type S's. Gain some knowledge before you master mechanic wannabe's and pit crew veteran wannabe's start crapping all over someone's hopes and dreams. I was in the same boat as you dude, I picked up my RSX for a good price with good miles. Sure it wasn't a overrated Type S, but it was good enough for me to work on. Let's put it this way, after dropping a custom intake in that I made with lots of R&D, swapping an RRC intake manifold in my A3 was leaving Type's motors in the dust. I never spent the money to dyno it, but I'd make an assumption that it was in the 180hp range. BTW that was also with stock exhaust, I recently designed my own test pipe that I'm in the process of welding up, I bought a buddyclub pro spec exhaust with the assumption that it should fit which it didnt so i had to weld up and adapter to make it fit, bottom line is do what you want, motors with the amount of money that normal people have is limited and will never be a high hp engine. Unless you decide to drop 20 grand under your hood will you reach high hp numbers. Until then do what you want, build your A3. I love it now when I'm at a meet or a stop light and some guys start asking me "aye that a Type S?" I love saying no because then they say lets race because I know they think it's slow now even though the hp difference between a Base and a Type S are pretty minute.
:up:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Don't listen to these guys, there being a bunch of pig headed assholes, seriously I can't stand people who knock on a motor with less power claiming your slow and it's not worth the money to build an LS or an A3 and what not. I built my previous A3 and pissed all over Type S's. Gain some knowledge before you master mechanic wannabe's and pit crew veteran wannabe's start crapping all over someone's hopes and dreams. I was in the same boat as you dude, I picked up my RSX for a good price with good miles. Sure it wasn't a overrated Type S, but it was good enough for me to work on. Let's put it this way, after dropping a custom intake in that I made with lots of R&D, swapping an RRC intake manifold in my A3 was leaving Type's motors in the dust. I never spent the money to dyno it, but I'd make an assumption that it was in the 180hp range. BTW that was also with stock exhaust, I recently designed my own test pipe that I'm in the process of welding up, I bought a buddyclub pro spec exhaust with the assumption that it should fit which it didnt so i had to weld up and adapter to make it fit, bottom line is do what you want, motors with the amount of money that normal people have is limited and will never be a high hp engine. Unless you decide to drop 20 grand under your hood will you reach high hp numbers. Until then do what you want, build your A3. I love it now when I'm at a meet or a stop light and some guys start asking me "aye that a Type S?" I love saying no because then they say lets race because I know they think it's slow now even though the hp difference between a Base and a Type S are pretty minute.
Ahh you are correct an A3 in an RSX can be faster than an A2, it can be optimized with the correct parts to make more power, it can, its possible...

BUT, while the initial cost of getting a K20A2 engine into his RSX may be higher than adding bolt-ons to his current engines, the potential is not capped like it is with the A3.

By the time you get done properly modifying the A3 you could in terms of cost put a stock A2 in and have more room to grow.

There is more to it than the fact that the A3 with proper mods could 'beat' and nondescript Type S.

Also what bolt-ons did you use to modify your RSX thus far? RBC manifold? You can still use those on the Type S/A2 engine!

·
Registered
89 Posts
u can bit an a2 with a a3 but u need a k-pro,k-pro iseverything with out it u can bit nothing with stcok engine. a2 + k-pro vs a3 with k-pro who u think is gonna win? a3 dont last too long,i have one so i know what im talking about,the question is if they have money to spend get a k24a2 is easy and quick ,no headche.if not get k-pro n buy some parts like rrc mani type s cams a3 head thats all u need

·
Registered
3 Posts
heres a little tip that my buddy did with his A3. by the way his Integra is a show car it's been in all of the California Wek Fest tours for 3 years now, he swapped an A2 head on it for 300 bucks, he bought a K pro used for 800 bucks, he decided to change the valve train on it all to blueprint stuff for a few hundred bucks. His A3/A2 is a daily, he goes to time attacks all the time with it, he is pushing around 230hp with a few bolt on's.

simple things can make an A3 as quick as an A2.

People just find it easier to buy an A2 and built that.

But... k20's are really slow off a start it's not till out top end till we hit a good amount of power.

K24's are quick off the line but slow at their top end since they are lower reving engine meaning the stoke is longer.

our engines aren't godly. but I'm not a fan of k24 builds because of the longer stroke.

This considered taboo but take it from a guy who studied automotive technology and is majoring in Mechanical Engineering and Applied Physics. Higher reving engines can generate more hp mainly because the laws of Thermodynamics. People say you loose hp at high rpm's. But thats not true, F1 engines generate enormous amount of power at high rpms. they still manage to generate a lot of top end torque.

In the end it's all about optimizing the perfect trq and hp ratio and to be honest Honda hasn't mastered that with the K series engines.

·
Registered
89 Posts
my own experience was i race my frien ep3 08 tsx engine rbc many 70mm tb opened injectors a2 cams rev to 8800 rmp, btw u said low rpm engine? with stock cams maybe,from the battom was a beast ,top end was a beast an a half so oh and 2010 si trany 4.7 fd lsd so i was winning everything

·
Been There Done That
1,619 Posts
not sure if trolling...

·
Registered
7 Posts
k20a2 rev higher i have 04 rsx type s motor with a 08 si tranny (shorter gears) with a diff rbc headers stock 310 injectors k-pro with a lil street tune and my car runs hard
the k20a2 comes with 200 hp
these motors stock on boost can make 450horses on stock sleeves

·
Registered
89 Posts
K- pro then a2 or better internals like high compression pistons a2 rods and a2 camshaft, then just swap heads put a2 full port n polish drag cartel cams 250+ hp ofcurse all depends how much money u can spend .allmotor all the way ! Yeah

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
That makes no sense.

A K24 would be WAY better, just the torque alone. Such a better starting point.

You've got to pay to play.

·
Registered
89 Posts
He wants to use he's block, never said about sawoing complete engine,ofcurse k24a2 will make the job with no problem, so what makes no sense ?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Building the A3, especially for all motor. K24A2 can be had for so cheap nowadays.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts