Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just prepareing my car to trim the unnecessary wiring , specially inside , I really have to figure , should i trim it before plugging the conversion or should i trim after i plug the conversion.

Got the figure which wiring go to where , from end wiring , so i pretty much marking the wiring goes to example , passenger airbag ( that yellow wireing), the air conditioner wiring (blue) , and the middle console , the hazards lights etc..

my question is , whats best way to trim it ? just cut it and tape it with electric wiring ? , or rewire it ? or just took it out from the plug individually ?

and yes another question is should i trim it before plugging the conversion or should i trim after i plug the conversion.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just prepareing my car to trim the unnecessary wiring , specially inside , I really have to figure , should i trim it before plugging the conversion or should i trim after i plug the conversion.
Make sure your harness works.
THEN start taking wires out.

my question is , whats best way to trim it ? just cut it and tape it with electric wiring ? , or rewire it ? or just took it out from the plug individually ?
Depin and remove completely. Will simplify future trouble-shooting, lighter harness, and less things to worry.
Also, you will find that some wires are tee'd into other wires (ie. ground wire being spliced into other functions).

I just rewired my ecu harness and my engine harness (i have a milspec circular connector to quickly disconnect the two), it's best to take your time and plan it out. Otherwise, you're going to hate life tracking wiring issues.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Get the car running correctly BEFORE cutting any wires. I made this same mistake and ended up chopping out my entire radiator fan relay and reverse lights. Thanksfully I had the electrical troubleshooting manual so re-writing wasnt a big deal. But it was an unnecessary headache. Take advice from someone who has been there and done that.

You should definitely de-pin the entire section of wire from one plug to the next. You dont want random cut wires grounding out on the chassis after a few years (vibrating tape loose). If you com across a splice, cut the side of the splice you dont need and leave the rest to do its job. Cover the exposed splice with electrical tape (I zip tieing the electrical tape so ensure the tape dosnt come loose later).

Good luck champ! It's a pain in the ass but I easily chopped 4lbs out of my CRX.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts