Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok so im trying to understand why tranny wont shift gears . it will work properly when the car is off , but if i turn on the car my clutch feels soft and wont allow me shift gears ?

is it my tranny oil? im going to flush tomorrow the tranny and use some gm fluid. oohh my bad its a rsx type s tranny

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
when i meant soft its my pedal it goes all the way down and will grind if i try to shift

·
Registered
605 Posts
sounds like a bad clutch master cylinder or maybe your low on fluid might be slave cylinder.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
The CMC is located at the end of the clutch pedal pushrod, or if you look from the engine bay follow the hydraulic line down to it from the reservoir or the slave.

The clutch could be shot as well.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Before you go and do something crazy like replacing the MC make sure its working/not. Have someone press the pedal and then take a look at the slave cyl and clutch fork. If they move fine then the problem is syncros.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok about two weeks ago i could not shift any gears on my ep . so asked for advice what could my problem, i was told first check my fluids, try changing my master & slave cylinder , and next thing i did was change my clutch completely with a competition clutch organic kit w/ exedy lightweight flywheel. but still after all this my car still wont engage gears!!!!!wtf????????? any more suggestions

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
was it bled properly? bleeding a clutch is not like bleeding brakes.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
was it bled properly? bleeding a clutch is not like bleeding brakes.
Hmmm so you make a statement like that, but then you dont dwell on it. So tell us how to bleed a clutch and why is it different than bleeding a brake system of a single master cyl. :up:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
dude , save your bullshit comments please. im just trying to help him out. ive been no shit working on hondas for 15 years so , gimme a break , i know the cars inside and out.

get a piece of vacuum hose. crack the bleeder on the slave so its a full turn loose. push the hose on the bleeder nipple. put the open end of the hose in a clean container and make sure it says submerged in fluid the whole time. make sure the clutch master is full and make sure it stays that way the whole time , dont let it go dry. start pumping the pedal , youl have to pull it up everytime. keep pumping it till you get no air comming out. i find it takes 2-3 master cylinders full to get full pressure. than retighten the bleeder and your done.

that is EXACTLY how you bleed a clutch system.

when it comes to brake systems , you start at the wheel furthest from the master(longest line). make sure master is full and stays that way. if its dirty , suck it out dry with a shop vac and refill it. have someone in the car pump the brakes 5 times hard and deep an hold it down on the 5th pump. loosen the bleeder and retighten it right away. keep doing this until clean fluid comes out. do the other back wheel. do the passenger wheel , than drivers wheel.

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts
dude , save your bullshit comments please. im just trying to help him out. ive been no shit working on hondas for 15 years so , gimme a break , i know the cars inside and out.

get a piece of vacuum hose. crack the bleeder on the slave so its a full turn loose. push the hose on the bleeder nipple. put the open end of the hose in a clean container and make sure it says submerged in fluid the whole time. make sure the clutch master is full and make sure it stays that way the whole time , dont let it go dry. start pumping the pedal , youl have to pull it up everytime. keep pumping it till you get no air comming out. i find it takes 2-3 master cylinders full to get full pressure. than retighten the bleeder and your done.

that is EXACTLY how you bleed a clutch system.

when it comes to brake systems , you start at the wheel furthest from the master(longest line). make sure master is full and stays that way. if its dirty , suck it out dry with a shop vac and refill it. have someone in the car pump the brakes 5 times hard and deep an hold it down on the 5th pump. loosen the bleeder and retighten it right away. keep doing this until clean fluid comes out. do the other back wheel. do the passenger wheel , than drivers wheel.
You can also bleed the brakes using that same method that you first described for bleeding the clutch.. I've done it numerous times with no problems.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
tomatoe tomatoe , that saying doesnt work typing it does it , lol. the service manuals dont recommend that way for some cars. has something to do with ABS i beleve.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts