Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Finally got back in town Thursday and did some more street tuning. I want to apologize to Nikos and www.Torukucams.com for taking a while with the holidays and all that.

I am impressed with the results thus far!! Let me say that I did a street tune for a while to get the a/f ratio's and tweaked just a little with timing. The reason I did not fully dyno tune with cam angles, etc is because I am still running the factory R manifold with a hot short ram intake.

RBC with Karcepts CAI is going on and will have results by the end of the month.

Setup:

K20A R
3" exhaust mandrel with 3" glass pack and vibrant oval muffler
DC K swap header (going to be upgraded)
Short ram intake
Toruku street cams
Everything else stock (including the valve train!!)
Hondata K Pro

201 whp/139 tq is with the stock ITR cams and PRC ECU. The swap was untouched.
207 whp/149 tq is with the Toruku street cams and street tune I did driving around (few 3rd gear pulls)
211 whp/155 tq is also with the Torukus with a mild tune on the dyno.

I just did few pulls to see what results were thus far before the RBC/CAI was installed.

As you can see, there is a 37 HP gain in the mid range at about 5900 RPM, with a total of 10 HP up top, along with a 16 ft-lb peak torque gain.

There is much potential to be done with a cold air intake, RBC, and especially a better header!

Here were the cam angles I set in place for now:

I want to thank Larry and Nikos for giving me the opportunity to see what these babies do!

Any tips/concerns/gripes/props, please do!

Stay tuned for more!

:)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. First one was with stock R cams. 201 whp.

The 207 and 211 was with the Toruku cams.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
wow ! that is sweet ... from about 5k rpm to 7k rpm there are some real nice gains.

and with a PRC, DC Header & Short Ram intake ???

That is promising... RBC, SSR Header and a CAI will unlock quite a bit more i would assume.

·
Banned
16,050 Posts
For preliminary results these are really good. Anyone here that knows a thing or 2 about tuning, should recognize that with no change in the cam angles, these are good gains.

He just didn';t want to pay for a full tune with the stock PRC when his intention was to go with a RBC in the end.

For $450, these are a good deal

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
its nice to have the contribution i guess, but this honestly doesnt really show too much. the 37hp gain in the midrange is largely due to the kpro, more than the cams.. but anyway hopefully they make a GOOD amount more after a full tune and rbc, since stock k20a's will make around 220whp tuned.. but once again its appreciated, but very inconclusive

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
these seem to be good cams. without a full tune those gains are good. Lets see how much it makes with the rbc and cai

·
Premium Member
9,484 Posts
lets see what happens when you put more miles on this setup! power and reliability= PIMP!

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
I really really really really would have liked to see your car, final bolt ons, with a full tune with ITR cams, compared to a full tune with the toruku street cams. This way you can really see what gains you made over stock and compare them from there. Right now we really aren't seeing much.

I'm sure the cams make power, but I just would've liked to see the comparison better, that's all.

Nice curve nontheless. <---sp?

-Jalal

·
Registered
992 Posts
I really really really really would have liked to see your car, final bolt ons, with a full tune with ITR cams, compared to a full tune with the toruku street cams. This way you can really see what gains you made over stock and compare them from there. Right now we really aren't seeing much.

I'm sure the cams make power, but I just would've liked to see the comparison better, that's all.

Nice curve nontheless. <---sp?

-Jalal
x2

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. I would agree the K pro did a lot of the gains and smoothing out the power curve. But I also think the cams contributed a lot with the torque output, and it's hard to see the top power gains since I believe the intake along with the DC K swap is a little restrictive. I think it's "bottle necking" in a way.

But I wanted to see results thus far.

Mild tune meaning I didn't go thru the whole task of locking cam angles 0 to 50 in low/high cam, tuning all A/F and ignition, etc. I will be doing that once throw on the RBC.

We all know typically what a full tuned K20 R makes. I wanted to make better use of the dyno time I was given. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for posting up your results thus far Poison. With the addition of a better header, RBC and intake for your next dyno session with a full tune you should get the results we expect of around a 15-20 whp gain. Cams are sitting on the shelf and ready to ship. Hopefully a few more board members will post up results shortly. Thanks guys.

Larry Flores
www.Torukucams.com

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
for the situation it does show alot of potential

i would like to see a full tune with the rbc and ssr and type r cams

then swap in the toruku cams and retune then really see the results

15-20 whp like they claim would be great

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
:up: very nice - I had a VERY similar base curve with k20a-R stock program (running rbc & hytech header)... gains (below) were from tuning alone. can't wait to see RBC & better header with these cams

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.