Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a quick question on toda cams for the k20 how much of a difference do they make. if anyone has a dyno of them i'd like to see that. just tryin to see if they are worth the 1k+ prce tag.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I like Crower cams a lot better then Toda cams..

Stock ACURA RSX-Type S (2001-up) Int- 302 mid
Exh-305 mid Int- 219 mid
Exh-215 mid Int- 483 mid
Exh-431 mid

63451-2 Stage 1
Performance oriented street.
Hotter than JDM Type R profile.
Works with stock springs if no mods to factory rev limiter.
RPM Range: Idle to 8500+.
35+ hp over stock Type-S w/ECU.
Int- 300 mid
Exh-290 mid Int- 229 mid
Exh-226 mid Int- 480 mid
Exh-476 mid

63451T-2 Stage 2 - Forced Induction Special
Designed for turbo/supercharger.
Features short duration, lowoverlap and high lift.
Requires #84164 kit & ECU mods.
RPM Range: Idle to 9500+.
Horsepower varies w/boost & mods.
Int- 296 mid
Exh-296 mid Int- 220 mid
Exh-220 mid Int- 519 mid
Exh-519 mid

63452-2 Stage 2 - 3/4 Race
Road/Rally and Street/Strip.
Requires #84164 spring kit and compatible ECU upgrade.
Slight lope at idle to be expected.
RPM Range: 900 to 9500+.
50+ hp over built Type-S w/ECU.
Int- 304 mid
Exh-300 mid Int- 234 mid
Exh-228 mid Int- 514 mid
Exh-483 mid

63453-2 Stage 3 - Full Race
Drag Race and radical Street/Strip.
Requires #84161 spring kit and compatible ECU upgrade for optimum results.
RPM Range: 1000 to 9750+.
60+ hp over built Type-S w/ECU.
Int- 310 mid
Exh-304 mid Int- 249 mid
Exh-244 mid Int- 502 mid
Exh-494 mid

00066-2 Custom Grind - Crower can custom grind cams to your desired specs, also proprietary profiles available upon request

Note: All of the above listed cams will work with the following stock valve spring and stock steel retainer combination up to 8900 rpm. Red Inner - Acura #14752-PRB-A01
Yellow Outer - Acura #14761-PCX-003
Dished Retainer - Acura #14765-PRB-A01

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well I will be posting results of the Crower Stage 2 3/4 cams later on this week. They aren't quite as big as the spec's say but they are pretty close to it.. I dont have VTC running on my engine but we will be adjusting the Cams gears to find the best power even if it takes all night.

Stay tuned :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
i've heard alot of people have trouble with crower....3 guys on clubrsx have gotten crower cams and the titanium retainers werent fitting right...with toda your getting quality....BUT it is a bit highpriced for cams that are pushing probaly +5whp more then the itr cams...alot of people have dynod there cars and fully tuned it and are only pushing about 215-220whp....with cai/rh/exhaust and the cams....on their website...they claim to be pushing 229whp but thats with their EXACT SETUP ecu flash...so you will need a toda rh, mugen twin loop, toda clutch/flywheel, and injen cai..dont get me wrong...i love todas quality and reputation...i know when i buy a toda product...they have done enough research and development for me to not worry about something going wrong..but the price is just sooo high....i think the best cams out on the market is IPS cams...i've seen a video of IPS cams in a DC5 against a DC5 w/ itr cams...and the ips dc5...took it by 4-5 cars from like 40-100mph roll...and when they switched drivers...it was a 2-3 car length..and only because the ips dc5 had a 200lb passanger...but we shall see if ips is really as reliable as they claim to be

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well I thought about editing your post..
If you had read all of the Club RSX post on the crower retainers you would of found they have had 2 retainers that have had a problem with clearance, the problem has been fixed. As for the power you'll even find on here that a K20A2 with ITB's Crower 3's stock Block, porting made 250+whp thats more than IPS did..
But hey most of the cams on the market make more power.. I remeber some of those cars with IPS cams made 10whp more than the Type R cams.
I will also update the power the Crower cams make in my set-up after its dyno'd. If Edo or Anyone else for that matter thinks I've choosen the wrong cams they are more than welcome to ship me a set of cams and I will compare them to the crowers I have.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Toda USA, made these cams because they knew there was a demand but at the same time Toda Japan was not ready to make cams for sale...

So Toda USA, made these weak cams so the "rich" RSX owners buy them.. And they did...

I speak Japanese and I called toda in japan.. YOu know what they told me? Basically that the american toda cam line is nowhere close to the toda cams that will produce in the next 12 months.

As you say

"i know when i buy a toda product...they have done enough research and development for me to not worry about something going wrong..but the price is just sooo high...."

that is why they did it.. The whole toda head package is a fraud as well. We made almost the same power with stock internals and K pro, ITR cams and a custom header.

Hell, since you are reading this, I might as well tell you that I HAVE BEEN TOLD PERSONALLY BY A TODA DEALER THAT THEIR TODA USA ARE JUST A PRODUCT OF GOOD MARKETING AND NOT GOOD ENGINEERING...

If you have enough money, you can open your own OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE and turn it in a chinese restaurant... AS long as you make good sales, noone is going to complain.

Open your eyes people. Please, make up your own damn mind. Ok I will shut up now.

·
Registered
593 Posts
non vtec said:
As for the power you'll even find on here that a K20A2 with ITB's Crower 3's stock Block, porting made 250+(not counting the spike)whp thats more than IPS did..

If Edo or Anyone else for that matter thinks I've choosen the wrong cams they are more than welcome to ship me a set of cams and I will compare them to the crowers I have.
Yes it did, but let's not downplay what you are drawing comparison against.

K20A(2) fitted with 52mm TWM ITB's and Crower Stg. 3 Full race cams through a refined R&D CNC head, revved to 9500ish rpm = 250+whp.

K20A(2), IPS-K2 street application cams, PRC/Bored TB revved to 8500ish rpm on a factory head = 234whp actual and 227whp SAE corrected.

We'll get around to fitting better induction and see if we can even up the score. ITB's are usually good for a conservative +15whp. That should get us close, heck we may just end up surpassing the 250whp mark. We'll see.

The thing is, I don't think anyone here on this site will be judgemental for the choices each enthusiast makes. This site is a non-posturing, non-agressive, tolerant K-series haven and community - right?

-Ron

·
Banned
15,811 Posts
edo said:
The thing is, I don't think anyone here on this site will be judgemental for the choices each enthusiast makes. This site is a non-posturing, non-agressive, tolerant K-series haven and community - right?

-Ron
I believe so. I am not ready yet to start selling k20a.org cams. :silly:

People do have opinions though.. Ron's (edo) good manners and proper etiquette are rare, that I also know.

NIkos

·
Registered
565 Posts
I agree completely. I think this Forum should stay clean its not Club RSX or Honda Tech. Most companies with aftermarket products have good results aswell as a few bad results, not ever motor turns out to be the same.
At this stage in time the K-series is to young to really compare the performance of aftermarket products. Personally to me it seems that everything thats released so far is well with-in spec of each other. I just hope the products we see released over the next year or 2 are up to the same standard as we have already seen if not a better standard.

I'm sure companies Like IPS, Crower, Toda and skunk2 will continue to develope and release K-series components that push the boundaries of what we all dream about. To Brain, Ron and everyone out there Developing parts for people like us to choose from :up: :up: Its great that we have a huge range of top products that are all so evenly matched....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, there's no bad blood between IPS and Crower.

Good competition will only bring better products to the K Series market and I welcome Ron's involvement and wish him the best in his new venture. Same sentiment goes for Toda...there's enough business for everybody.

Just about all of the traditional US cam companies dropped the ball regarding Sport Compact offerings...most are just now touting the release of their B Series VTEC offerings, so the door was wide open.

Bottomline...the Sport Compact market is not a fad, it's not going away and I'm glad Crower is actively involved in it. K20A3/K24A1/A2 cams are just around the corner...about 4 months.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
non vtec said:
As for the power you'll even find on here that a K20A2 with ITB's Crower 3's stock Block, porting made 250+whp thats more than IPS did..
That was Norris prayoontos car he actually took the whole top end package from his race car and stuck it on there including the big ass header with a three inch exit. And those TWM throttle bodies...Very impressive indeed..250 on stock block... :wow:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.