Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, changing a stretched chain and just curious if my marks are fine. It's a k24. The left mark is slightly higher, and the colored link doesn't line up with the crank dot/dash, it's one off. The two on top of the cams line up fine.

Gear Bicycle part Vehicle brake Automotive tire Rim

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Textile Headgear Wood Jewellery

·
Registered
343 Posts
That's because it's timed incorrectly. The colored links MUST match the dots. The marks are just a rough guideline. The colored links are infallible.

For the timing marks to work the system must be tensioned. Even then the marks are not exact.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's because it's timed incorrectly. The colored links MUST match the dots. The marks are just a rough guideline. The colored links are infallible.

For the timing marks to work the system must be tensioned. Even then the marks are not exact.
The cams are guaranteed to be timed correctly when you insert the pins, as the hole doesn't appear unless it's correct, right? Unsure how it would be timed incorrectly

·
Registered
343 Posts
The cams are guaranteed to be timed correctly when you insert the pins, as the hole doesn't appear unless it's correct, right? Unsure how it would be timed incorrectly
Then why are you on here announcing your cam timing marks?

The intake cam is on a hydraulic cam phaser, it theoretically could be misaligned. id trust the cam gear dots and links over anything else

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was just showing any relevant pictures. What would you recommend my next step be? Is there a way to check whether the chain could have manufacturing error, thus the link could be off?

It's just odd how in everything I've seen and read they line up the marks, slip the chain on, and the links fit no problem

·
Registered
535 Posts
Turn the crank the little bit you have to to get the colored link on the dot, get the guides and tensioner on, rotate the crank clockwise a few rotations and check the alignment marks (colored links will be off after rotation but that's ok).

Edit: Rotate clockwise, going counterclockwise can cause it to jump time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Turn the crank the little bit you have to to get the colored link on the dot, get the guides and tensioner on, rotate the crank clockwise a few rotations and check the alignment marks (colored links will be off after rotation but that's ok).

Edit: Rotate clockwise, going counterclockwise can cause it to jump time.
Funnily enough I was just coming on here to let Bjorn know I did what you just suggested, thanks guys for the help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts