Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this today on a customers car, anyone seen something similar?

K20A2

Toda N2 Cams with N2 Valvetrain

·
Registered
39,470 Posts
chain is completely off the guide :wow: I have the same cams and never had a problem

may be the inner wall on that guide broke off somehow?

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I seen it. :rolleyes: It had to happen when the cams were installed, or when the chain was loose at some point for some kind of work. Otherwise it will not come off like that.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Looks like the chain is no longer on the crank sprocket.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Yeah, the guide looks good.
Was it running before? Codes?
Mine was running good with no codes at all. Just some weird noises. lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car was running with cams installed for about 2-3 months. not driven everyday, but driven pretty regularly.

and yes, no codes at all, just sudden, weird noise. curious

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
I've seen this happen once before on a friend's car. The guides were chewed up pretty good. If I were you, I'd make sure to take off the chain case cover and inspect all the guides & sprockets the chain rides on.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Perhaps the tensioner has gone bad and allowed the chain enough slack to jump out of place :confused:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we thought the same as well^ that sounds the MOST logical. since the tensioner holds that guide into place, i can imagine it slacked perhaps aenough to allow it to slip off the guide. No disassembly yet, but hopefully it wil be an obvious failure

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
now have the same sound coming from My SC K24A2.

Just happened all the sudden on a merge onto the freeway... loss of power, trouble running and now the same "diesel" noise.

Havent taken it apart yet but the chain looks to be ON the guides unlike the other one. This is an untouched (internally) TSX 04 from the train wreck. Probably has about 2k miles on it max...

weird stuff

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
whats was the outcome of this..?? what went bad? anyone knows?

·
Premium Member
9,294 Posts
maybe skipped a tooth? or something lose in the head? line up the timing see if everything lines up.

·
Registered
601 Posts
My buddy and I recently got an 04 k24a4 from someone b/c it "lost oil pressure". When we took it apart, the chain was so loose around the sprockets that we could take it off without touching the tensioner. Motor was 100% bone stock.

Just prior to this happening the original owner of the engine took his car to the Honda dealership to fix the timing cover which was apparently leaking oil. My theory is that they tried to install the timing chain on the k24 like they would have on a k20 and messed everything up.

That's strange though. Other than the fact that the guides were fine on our motor, our chain looked almost exactly that loose when we took it apart.

.......interesting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts