Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just swapped my 2003 K20A2 ('03 RSX S) cams out for K24A2 ('06 TSX) cams. I got the crank pulley on the timing mark, the cam gear hash marks lined up, and 9 chain links between the dots, and put the Honda tool into the holes on the pulse plates. Everything was lined up, and then I installed the timing chain tensioner, and removed the pin. I turned the engine over slowly clockwise with a ratchet, and by the time I was back at TDC the cams were lining up, but the crank was off by a significant amount at that point.

What am I missing here? I haven't seen any way to transfer the slack to the right position on the chain so that it doesn't ruin the timing. Obviously doing this with the engine in the car and the timing cover on. I've read around here and watched all the videos but I think I'm missing something.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ll do you one better and take a video. Im about to put the cams in again. The crank is at TDC and the cams are about to be locked in. Then I’m going to put in the cam caps, and chain guide. After that, I’ll put the tensioner in and release the pin, turning the engine clockwise to let it extend.

·
Registered
343 Posts
As the slack comes out of the un tensioned side your miss timing becomes apparent.

When timing the cams you need to keep as much tension as reasonably possible in the front of the chain. Otherwise rotate the crank anti clockwise a half tooth while you assemble it then when the tension comes on you should be on the mark.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As the slack comes out of the un tensioned side your miss timing becomes apparent.

When timing the cams you need to keep as much tension as reasonably possible in the front of the chain. Otherwise rotate the crank anti clockwise a half tooth while you assemble it then when the tension comes on you should be on the mark.
I can’t see the teeth because I have my timing cover on. I’m trying to use the gears to pull the chain back from the front side to the rear tensioned side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I got it lined up but I think there was slack on the bottom and now the chain is off the ****ing crank, so I guess I'm pulling the timing cover.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts