Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i installed my timing chain back on today aand i did everything according to the book.. All the marking are aligned. But the only thing is the chain is a tad bit loose. Like it needs to be tensioned more. The crankshaft is at tdc but the small bit of slack is to the right of it.. And i can turn the crank and it will tension but then the marking are not aligned. It would be off by like 2 mm... Please help

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
hope i can help you here.. Do you have a helms manual for a k series car? they can be found online. That would be your best resource. Look at the transmission side of the cams and lline up the holes and put a drill bit in them to lock them into place. That will make all of this a bunch easier. Check the chain for markings. there should be 2 on the top and one for the bottom. You want to make the intake side of your chain the tight portion so the slack can be taken out on the tensioner side.

If you have a problem coming across the manual PM me your email and ill send one to you.

Hope i helped..

Also if you put the drill bits or whatever in make sure you take them back out before trying to start the car. I almost forgot once, thank god my friend caught it right before i cranked the car..lol

·
Banned
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help ill give it a try in the morning.... It didnt say anything like that in the manual though.... I was in the section of timing chain removal and installation..

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
i actually learned that from this site.. Honda actually sells a tool that fits the holes in the end of the cams to make holding them at top dead center a lot easier.. Before i read that it took me about 1 hr by myself to set mine in time. lol

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
There should be absolutely no slack on the intake side at all. Sounds like it is mistimed, which is very easy to do, just as easy as getting the timing correct. This is due to the fact that at TDC the exhaust cam wants to rotate forwards. Another issue that may be impacting your timing can be a stretched timing chain. When installing a new set of cams I never reuse the old chain, and the lifespan is reduced when you use a highlift and duration cam as well(especially those crappy cams from JUNK2). Also you could be off on the crank sprocket by a half link very easily.

The cam holder install tool is nothing more than a 5mm metal rod, there is no need to buy the factory tool. (a 3/16" wood, plastic or metal rod or even a 3/16"/5mm drill bit will work perfectly.)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
also , im sure many people have noticed by now. once you have your engine timed properly. if you look at the hash marks on the inside of each cam gear that point at one another , that dont exactly line up. they are a tad bit off. they are both horizontal , but not exactly pointing at one another. when you set your timing , your exhaust cam gear dot will point straight up vs the head , the intake cam dot will point slightly towards front of engine.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
They should be EXACTLY in-line with each other if the timing chain hasnt stretched alot.

any mismatch means the timing is not correct.

I have built many K20's and they have all matched up perfectly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts