Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I just replaced my stock clutch and flywheel a little over a year ago. I "upgraded" to an Exedy stock replacement clutch with a 11lb Findanza flywheel. My throwout bearing is going bad so I figured I might as well change the entire clutch because I will be making about 50 more wheel hp next season. Im currently making 193 @ the wheels. I have decided to go with the ClutchMasters setup but I am stuck in between the FX-200 Kevlar Clutch and the FX-300 Kevlar Clutch. They are the same price. During track (1/4 mile) season I run my car almost every weekend. I also daily drive my car in 1 hour traffic each way in bumper to bumper traffic. Which clutch would be a better choice, as far as driveability, the track, etc? I know most of you guys use the FX-400 but I daily drive my car. Thanks.

Alexander

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I had that setup. The pressure plate is great but the disk wore too fast. So I've used the pressure plate with a CC 4 puk disk and its a best combo short of getting a multi disk setup like I just did. The CC disk sells for about 100 bucks. I have the CM plate for sale now though. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I had that setup. The pressure plate is great but the disk wore too fast. So I've used the pressure plate with a CC 4 puk disk and its a best combo short of getting a multi disk setup like I just did. The CC disk sells for about 100 bucks. I have the CM plate for sale now though. PM me if interested.

The kevlar wears out quick. Thanks for the offer but i'm looking for something new though. I'll stay in contact for that trans rebuild.

Thanks man.

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
I have the CM stage 3 on my car and daily drive it and sees the track quite often. No issues yet with 12k miles on it. It drives just like stock. If you are debating between the stage 2 and 3 get the 3.

The stage 4 from CM, i think is a little cheaper but is a puck clutch.

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
I've got a clutch net kevlar disc with their stage II pressure plate. I love the combination. Kevlar is a long lasting material so long as you don't get it too hot and glaze it. It's also much kinder to flywheels than other friction materials.

I highly recommend the clutch setup I have for street/track driving as long as you're not doing a lot of high RPM launches, you'll love the clutch net kevlar. :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
ClutchMasters Stage 4 6 Puck Sprung...30 track passes and 1,500 hard miles so far no problems

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the CM stage 3 on my car and daily drive it and sees the track quite often. No issues yet with 12k miles on it. It drives just like stock. If you are debating between the stage 2 and 3 get the 3.

The stage 4 from CM, i think is a little cheaper but is a puck clutch.
The answer I was looking for. I like to stay away from puck clutchs because of my commute and I need something that drives like stock.
Thanks.

I've got a clutch net kevlar disc with their stage II pressure plate. I love the combination. Kevlar is a long lasting material so long as you don't get it too hot and glaze it. It's also much kinder to flywheels than other friction materials.

I highly recommend the clutch setup I have for street/track driving as long as you're not doing a lot of high RPM launches, you'll love the clutch net kevlar. :)
I don't think i've ever heard of clutch net. I'll go google it to see if the price is right.

ClutchMasters Stage 4 6 Puck Sprung...30 track passes and 1,500 hard miles so far no problems
I would go that route if I had a daily driver. Sounds like a strong clutch. I have about 25 track passes on my Exedy replacement clutch and about 35k miles on it thus far. I'm surprised it held up this long.

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
I don't think i've ever heard of clutch net. I'll go google it to see if the price is right.
Clutch net isn't the cheapest around, but they do have a patented sprung hub design that virtually eliminates any hub failures, which I've seen happen with every other major brand of clutch. They also build all of their clutches to order in-house, versus mass producing them in asia. Their quality is worth the extra money you pay IMO.

Kevlar disc - $165
"yellow" grade pressure plate - $295

sometimes they do kits with the pilot bushing, clutch tool, and release bearing included, other times you've gotta buy those yourself.

If you buy the clutch, I'm sure you'll love it. I had a vendor account with them for awhile and I sold quite a few of the kevlar clutches. Haven't heard any complaints from the folks that bought them and it's been a couple of years now.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clutch net isn't the cheapest around, but they do have a patented sprung hub design that virtually eliminates any hub failures, which I've seen happen with every other major brand of clutch. They also build all of their clutches to order in-house, versus mass producing them in asia. Their quality is worth the extra money you pay IMO.

Kevlar disc - $165
"yellow" grade pressure plate - $295

sometimes they do kits with the pilot bushing, clutch tool, and release bearing included, other times you've gotta buy those yourself.

If you buy the clutch, I'm sure you'll love it. I had a vendor account with them for awhile and I sold quite a few of the kevlar clutches. Haven't heard any complaints from the folks that bought them and it's been a couple of years now.
Would it be a dumbass idea to use an OEM pressure plate with the kevlar disc? I have 2 oem pressure plates. I know atleast 1 is in good condition.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
Would it be a dumbass idea to use an OEM pressure plate with the kevlar disc? I have 2 oem pressure plates. I know atleast 1 is in good condition.

Thanks
Well, let me tell you a bit about Kevlar. Kevlar is a great clutch material, it's long lasting, engages really smoothly, and friction levels don't fall off as it gets really hot (up until it glazes). The trade off is that it has a lower coefficent of friction than even organic clutch material. That requires a higher load pressure plate for a given torque load.

So no, I wouldn't use a stock pressure plate with a kevlar disc. If you are making a good bit more HP than stock, you run the risk of not having enough clamping load, which will allow the clutch to slip on a hard shift, and you'll almost surely end up glazing the disc.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, let me tell you a bit about Kevlar. Kevlar is a great clutch material, it's long lasting, engages really smoothly, and friction levels don't fall off as it gets really hot (up until it glazes). The trade off is that it has a lower coefficent of friction than even organic clutch material. That requires a higher load pressure plate for a given torque load.

So no, I wouldn't use a stock pressure plate with a kevlar disc. If you are making a good bit more HP than stock, you run the risk of not having enough clamping load, which will allow the clutch to slip on a hard shift, and you'll almost surely end up glazing the disc.
Makes sense. Thanks man. :up:

·
IMAKEBOOSTATIDLE
6,916 Posts
i hear alot of people Daily drive their cars with Competition clutch 6 pucks and no problems.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I´ve been DD the CM 3 on my EG with K24, I love it, it feels just like stock clutch. and my freind has drive the CM3 on the track for some time and it works just great. So I recommend the CM3 for a DD.:up:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts