Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

Throwout Bearing

9K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  BuiltRSX 
#1 ·
I'm purchasing an OEM honda throwout bearing when i get off work today and will be installing it tomorrow afternoon. Here's the thing. I just replaced my stock clutch about a year ago. I noticed that the person that installed the throwout bearing, he sprayed brake cleaner on it. Im assuming the brake cleaner dried the lubricant in the throwout bearing. So my question is to avoid throwout bearing failure what needs to be done?

Thanks

#4 ·
like Nikos said, remove from wrapping, install. I usually put a little grease on the contact points of the bearing, helps keep it quiet long term I've found.

Make sure your pilot bushing is in good shape. If not, replace it. It's only $3. I know first hand the kind of trouble that little 3$ part can cause.

#5 ·
The throwout bearing is the piece that starts to make noise when you release off the clutch at idle. When it goes bad that is. It rattles when I release my foot off the clutch at idle. Just want to make sure im replacing the right part.

Now what is the pilot bushing? Pictures?

Thanks

#6 ·
Can look something like this.. To the right..... Goes in the center of the flywheel

#10 ·
does the K series trannys have the round bearing in the flywheel like the b series? goes in the flywheel?

#11 ·
nope. The k-series parts look nothing like what's pictured above.

the pilot bushing is just a little bushing that sits in the center of the crank. It centers the mainshaft of the trans. If it's worn excessively, your mainshaft will wobble and you'll eat through the splines on the clutch hub.

The throwout/release bearing just sits on the clutch fork and looks pretty standard.

#12 ·
thanks C!

I don't know what happened that round bushing got ****ed up on my tranny and caused alll sorts of problems. so this time around I didn't use it..I used the pilot tool to make sure its aligned straight and that bushing I didn't use..:up:

#15 ·
I just use a deep socket of the proper size to tap it in there. Never had any issues driving it in straight.

yea, as i recall, i dont have a bushing in there either... i was wondering about not using one.
You definitely want to use one. It will prolong the life of the splines on your clutch hub. Without a pilot bushing, you can have a clutch failure in as little as 400 miles. It's important to have one.

#14 ·
yea I wouldn't use it because it might wear out and fall causing you problems as it did to me...the bushing got crushed and came out two parts..one crushed one ****ed up..:eek:

#16 ·
Off subject kindof, my 3rd tranny we got professionally cleaned and checked out to be in great shape, syncros and all. Anyways, I could shift above 8300 for about a thousand miles. After that 8300 was as high as I could rev it and shift fast, otherwise I had to granny shift. When we pulled the motor for rebuild, we pulled out the pilot bearing cause we were going to replace it regardless. Man that thing was in an S shape, looked terrible. Do you think the vibration caused from it is my problem, which now has ruined my syncros? Do ya think after replacing the syncros that the problem may go away?

Again sorry for the thread jack here, and Merry Christmas everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.