Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
woke up super early today and no im bored outta my mind so i wanted to put up pictures of wat i do for a living i build tunnels in NYC like water tunnels and train tunnels things like that the pictures im going to show u r the begining of a train station/tunnel 150 feet deep....right now were in the middle of a process called drill and shoot... we drill 10-15ft deep holes in the shaape u want the tunnel to be then u load them all with explosives and i no u guys can figure out wat happens after that lol:cool:
i work for local 147 (nyc sandhogs) there even a show on the discovery channel about it call SANDHOGS. i neva been on the show though since i work night shift and im pretty sure wen they were filming i was out with a broken leg from a car accident.

This is the shaft were every comes down and leaves the tunnel around 120ft deep right now...the little yellow cage on the far left is wat takes the men in and out(MY BAD CAGE IS 2 PICS UP). the crane pick up everything else like the bucket in the picture will prob end up being a stairway or something to get into the train station wen everything is done

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
more pics

my turbo beast :p :rolleyes: (wat we use to drill the holes. cost the company 1.2 million dollars)

And it in action

The beast getting greesed up for a hard day of work

The inside (They keep breaking the damn bullet proof glass thats like an inch or 2 thick and cost the company like 5 or 6 grand to fix :down:)

his turbo beast :dance::dance:

Another drill used to drill down holes

And last wat gets it all done

Attachments

·
Rebuilding phase
8,450 Posts
This has to be one of coolest jobs ever? How do they ventilate down there with all that equipment running? I hope they pay is good for all the risk you guys take down there.

Nice pics :up::up:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This has to be one of coolest jobs ever? How do they ventilate down there with all that equipment running? I hope they pay is good for all the risk you guys take down there.

Nice pics :up::up:
its a cool job just alot of break breaking work though.. we get ventilation from thoughs bigs tube u see in couple of the pic on the ceiling they have big fans on the surfaces that blows fresh air down. and alot of the machines have spacial air filters on them that keep the smoke and fumes down... all the machines gotta be desiel also the fumes from the desiel wont kill u like normal gas not great for u but wont kill u.....yea we getpaaid good alot of benifits to and me only being 20 with a good azz job like this i love it

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Looks really cool. But dangerous at the same time. Keep safe.

·
Registered
550 Posts
u said NYC right?....are you guys working on 11th and 36th over by the javits center???, cuz i just seen one of the tunnel local union banners up there on a job. Local 638 Steamfitter here :up:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
u said NYC right?....are you guys working on 11th and 36th over by the javits center???, cuz i just seen one of the tunnel local union banners up there on a job.
yea thats the site but thats just one of the up and down shafts that main site is on the corner of 35th and 11th if u look into the fence at 36th and 11th u see one of the drill parked out there lol if ur ever around that area and hear an explosion around 9 or 10 o clock that prob us that usually the time they shoot the window on the javitis center shake like there about to break

·
Registered
550 Posts
yea thats the site but thats just one of the up and down shafts that main site is on the corner of 35th and 11th if u look into the fence at 36th and 11th u see one of the drill parked out there lol if ur ever around that area and hear an explosion around 9 or 10 o clock that prob us that usually the time they shoot the window on the javitis center shake like there about to break
yea i actually saw the boards up there that say...1 buzz= 3 minutes till explosion, 2 buzz = 1 minute till explosion and 3 buzz ready for explosion haha

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
x2 man keep your head up. Big ups to you!
it dangerous but as long as u no how to work safe and look for sign of loose rock and stuff like that u stay safe. also after they shoot if theres and big big peice of rock in the pile that prob mean some of the explosive didnt go off and u gotta make sure no caps r left laying around (caps r wat sets the powder off) the sticks of powder by them self arent that dangerous if u find any after the shot like the one in the pic u just cut them up and toss them back in the pile rarely happens were the shot gos bad and u find caps layin around though.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea i actually saw the boards up there that say...1 buzz= 3 minutes till explosion, 2 buzz = 1 minute till explosion and 3 buzz ready for explosion haha
yea thats it lol damn loud horn they sound off so people dont run screaming heard thats happened a few times lol

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
nice dood, NY is solid rock man. I saw a good bit of water in some photo's, do you hit water when you drill? or is that run off from rain?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nice dood, NY is solid rock man. I saw a good bit of water in some photo's, do you hit water when you drill? or is that run off from rain?
yea all the water u see is the ground water find its wat through lil cracks in the rock yea its possible to hit water most the time its not to much but the drill a probe hole thats like 100 ft deep to make sure there no water and to see wat kinda rock we should expect

1 - 20 of 33 Posts