Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading about the K swap for many months now, and towards the end of the summer I will finally have a decent amount of money saved up.

My current car is a 92 si with b18b1.

I'm thinking I can sell the b18b1 swap for $1k easily around here. (has low miles)

add in about $4k (on the low side, should have more than that) and you have my total amount of cash to throw at the car upfront right now.

$5k isn't a lot I understand, but I have another vehicle and don't mind having my car down while I DIY a lot of the parts.

In the end I want a nice k24a2 setup.

Here is my idea for the time being. Just buy a complete k20a3 swap for $1400ish, as that seems to be the going rate for one, add all the mounting and swap equipment and you have another $1750 I'm guessing? K-pro another $800.

That puts me slightly under my cash on hand at $3950. I feel Leaving an extra $1k for unseen circumstances is a good idea.

After that is in, I'm sure I'll have to sport that block around for a while, and then later on I'll pick up a k24a2 and build that how I please. Do you think this is a smart idea? I feel like having the k20a3 will give me a lot of parts that I am going to need for the k24 anyways, such as transmission, ep3 pulleys, etc. and I could sell the k20a3 longblock for $500 after I'm done with it.

Will the k20a3 on K-pro be decent powerwise compared to my current LS?

Should I just save another summer and get the full k24 with all the goodies?

Just looking for opinions. I know you can get k24a2 for cheap right now, but I wont have the 2k for one for another 2 months, and by then I'm afraid they will all be gone

·
Registered
501 Posts
I guess in my opinion you a bit underestimate the cost of the swap. Even though to swap over the k20a3 is cheaper than a k24a2, your projections are a bit low. I think the power you make out of a k-pro'd k20a3 is going to be more that a b18b1, but just be prepared to spend some cash. I would talk to nikos though cuz he has some k24a2's pretty cheap. May be best just to get the motor you really want right away...again just my humble opinion. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could you explain why my projections are a little low? what things do you think are low?

·
Registered
345 Posts
you left out alot of shit bro. exhaust fuel tuning ecu, axles, clutch, shit that you just need to go ahead and replace while the engine is out. like gold said just get a engine from NIKOS. it'll be the engine you want and its only a little more than the a3. do things right the first time. it may cost more now but in the long run you will have a awesome car thats fast and dependable :D

·
Registered
501 Posts
$1750 for all the stuff you need to get the motor swapped is the part that is low. When i started i didn't figure i would spend as much as i have but once i started getting parts...then started realizing i needed more than i originally thought...it ended up being a lot more than i thought too. $1750 for everything you need to swap is not gonna cut it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, here is my price rundown for swap parts, I took this list from the hybrid racing website and I'm just added my prices that I'm thinking.

$1400---------------------K series motor/tranny/ECU
Comes with swap----------K series engine harness
$unsure $150?-------------K series charging harness
$600----------------------Hybrid Racing motor mounts
$unsure couple hundred?---DIY conversion harness
$100----------------------K series comes with swap, b series from autozone
$75-----------------------Hybrid Racing clutch line
$250----------------------DIY radiator setup
$25-----------------------B/D series coolant temp sensor and fan switch
$80-----------------------Fuel rail
$100----------------------Universal Fuel Pressure regulator
$100----------------------DIY Custom Fit Fuel lines
$125----------------------Revo shifter box
$unsure-------------------RSX Shifter Cables
$unsure-------------------Shifter linkage Clips
$already have------------- Aftermarket intake
$400-----------------------DC Aftermarket Header
$50------------------------Midpipe fab at friends shop
$30?-----------------------Throttle cable for your application
comes with swap-----------EP3 pulley and belt (if retaining AC and OEM belt)
$1000----------------------Kpro base tuned by cortney green

Thats everything they have on their website. Am I missing something?

All of that totalled is $4735?? Thats under my budget and I'll probably have more than 5k in the end, thats just what I will have at the beginning. I can make money if needed lol. It's not like I'm in a hurry to finish and don't have a second vehicle.

So what do you guys think? Any flaws in that thinking. Please please give your input because that I why I'm here. To decide if this is feasible. Thanks again for your advice so far

·
Registered
1 Posts
Personaly I havent made up my mind if Im going to do a swap or just get a rsx type s. However if I were you id consider two things, one the prices on those engines arent going to stay stable especially not now that swaps are starting to pick up. So in your case I say pick up the engine you want first. Dont just settle for something now thats only going to cost you more time and energy later. Than id be patient pick up the different pieces you need slowly and keep reading over the swap info. Next is the K Pro, good pick. Actually givin whats currently available its the best pick. because you said you have another car Id be verry patient and get everything right the first time. Being patient is everything. You can tell an install where someones takin pride and time with what they are doing, and someone who just wanted to hurry and get it swapped and running.

·
Banned
15,812 Posts
I would not do it man. The k20a3 is not a good foundation unless you go turbo.. but by the time you go turbo, you have spent enough for an nice k20a swap.

The tsx is cool just because these days supply was high, but it will not be like that for much longer... so in the future, the k20a2 would be your best bet to save some money, but not much..

Why get into so much trouble getting the a3 to work, when it is not going to be any more exciting than a ls/vtec or a gsr swap.. And since you have a b18b1, that is not a bad motor at all.. You could ls/vtec it or add a turbo at low cost.

It's like if you do this,.,, and put the k20a3 in there... you do have a K...but very fast you are going to be looking for a type s head etc... If you are an all motor guy, there is no question about it... Don;t do it. If you might go turbo... weigh your options.

·
Registered
524 Posts
nikos said:
I would not do it man. The k20a3 is not a good foundation unless you go turbo.. but by the time you go turbo, you have spent enough for an nice k20a swap.

The tsx is cool just because these days supply was high, but it will not be like that for much longer... so in the future, the k20a2 would be your best bet to save some money, but not much..

Why get into so much trouble getting the a3 to work, when it is not going to be any more exciting than a ls/vtec or a gsr swap.. And since you have a b18b1, that is not a bad motor at all.. You could ls/vtec it or add a turbo at low cost.

It's like if you do this,.,, and put the k20a3 in there... you do have a K...but very fast you are going to be looking for a type s head etc... If you are an all motor guy, there is no question about it... Don;t do it. If you might go turbo... weigh your options.
The man is right, take his word
nikos is just helping you out

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok thanks for your input guys. I'm not going turbo, no questions about that. LS/vtec is outta the question because of revability. The car is somewhat DD, and somewhat road racing. Needs to withstand high rpm for long periods of time.

I might just keep saving and hopefully I will find a k20a2 or k24a2 when the time is right.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
This is the only thing that I'm going to tell you..Wait untill you have one and you'll see why K motor is the best SHHHHHHHHHH ever...

Done...

·
Registered
501 Posts
nikos is definatly right about not wasting time with the k20a3 because when you want the k24a2 next year...they are not going to be as cheap as they are right now im betting because of the high availability of them this year...but if you go with the k24a2 this year...you need about 7 grand...thats what i have in it so far and im not done spending yet. (of course i didnt get my motor as cheap as nikos is selling them right now) :mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.