Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all and I am here to bring you all the facts and comparison with the J37 TB and the J35 TB that Rich was too lazy to do :p.So come on over and support our guys at Autofair for all your OEM parts and if you like the intake you can find them here VersionCustoms.com

My mods during tests on my FA5:
Motor-stock
Exhaust-Invidia Q300 catback
Header-Kidd race
Intake-3.5 CAI intake vs 4"
Pulley-RZ pulley kit
Injectors-stock
Tune solution-Flashpro

Facts:
1) J35 inlet ID 67mm/J37 inlet ID 78mm
2) J35 outlet ID 64mm/J37 outlet ID 69mm
3) P2R adapter plate inlet ID 75mm and outlet ID 65mm which you can port match to 70mm like me.
4) Silicone couplers and reducers should be 3.25" the fit J37 inlet nice and snogged.
5) I have gained 3whp Just by this J37 upgrade but note I was not able to test the J37 before honing the RBC.

First up a comparison between the J35 and the new J37 ZDX inside diameter.

I had Honed out my Intake Manifold RBC inlet to 70mm prior to getting the J37 and then I did the same to the P2R adapter plate from 65mm to 70mm it all turned out great!

3.5 intakes is no match for this bad boy whose your bitch now 3.5s.

I cant say the same for my Ultimate 4.0 CAI intake.

This is how you would setup the vacuum line for the evap and brake booster,you can use a T or Y fitting.

Dyno after tune was complete with my 3.5 intake + J35 TB

Dyno with same tune and 3.5 intake + J37 TB

Recent dyno with my 4" intake + J37 TB and on the same tune no revision.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha :p

That will help me make a choice. I have no idea which one I will use for my setup.
Pics are up and with this J37 there is no turning back and wait until cams are in :cool:!

·
Premium Member
18,976 Posts
Thank you lenval. I think the midrange with the j37 is insane even on same tune. I wonder where they dip off with the 37 is caused by. I would think the dip could be because of cam phasing. Theoretically the 37 should make far more top end than these dynos are showing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great information, im debating between keeping the j35 or going with the zdx tb to pair the new 3.5" im about to buy and my current rrc im.
Im between The new skunk2 and the Rick spec'd 3.5 cai.

I have a couple of questions.
-between dyno 1 with The j35 tb and The 3.5"intake, and The 2nd dyno with the j37 and The 3.5", was The car tuned?
-between dyno 2 and dyno 3 the only thing you changed was the intake? There is a hell of a difference with those dyno numbers, theres between 11 to 14 Hp difference, only for The intake change? Is it too a 3.5"?

All runs where on The dame dyno, diferente days, right?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you lenval. I think the midrange with the j37 is insane even on same tune. I wonder where they dip off with the 37 is caused by. I would think the dip could be because of cam phasing. Theoretically the 37 should make far more top end than these dynos are showing.
No problem I am just glad to help out and for the dips you are seeing its a result of road conditions.I used edyno to plot my runs that's kinda why each run is off a little bit.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great information, im debating between keeping the j35 or going with the zdx tb to pair the new 3.5" im about to buy and my current rrc im.
Im between The new skunk2 and the Rick spec'd 3.5 cai.

I have a couple of questions.
-between dyno 1 with The j35 tb and The 3.5"intake, and The 2nd dyno with the j37 and The 3.5", was The car tuned?
-between dyno 2 and dyno 3 the only thing you changed was the intake? There is a hell of a difference with those dyno numbers, theres between 11 to 14 Hp difference, only for The intake change? Is it too a 3.5"?

All runs where on The dame dyno, different days, right?
Its your choice to choose between the intake you like and both are 3.5s but one is plastic so its up to you.As for the tune,yes it was on the same tune on all tests and each graphs are different days.It would compliment the J37 by honing out your intake manifold.

·
Premium Member
18,976 Posts
i think you really need to discuss that intake more, I think the data acquired from that test is far more significant than the info acquired from the j35 vs the j37, as the second batch of information is applicable to every n/a car on this forum rather than just the dbw cars

·
Premium Member
18,976 Posts
I also have spoken with maxbore and they can bore the j37 to 78x74. only thing stopping me is trying to figure out if my rrc will tolerate a 74 mm inlet without crumbling. I have been contempleting doin it then using the aluma weld we spoke about to seal it back up and doing it that way

·
Premium Member
18,976 Posts
Christian the car was not tuned at all, trust me dont do anything until more information is released. its coming. just need facts straight first.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I also have spoken with maxbore and they can bore the j37 to 78x74. only thing stopping me is trying to figure out if my rrc will tolerate a 74 mm inlet without crumbling. I have been contempleting doin it then using the aluma weld we spoke about to seal it back up and doing it that way
It can be done you just have to do a taper from 74mm at flange and 70-72mm going in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Its your choice to choose between the intake you like and both are 3.5s but one is plastic so its up to you.As for the tune,yes it was on the same tune on all tests and each graphs are different days.It would compliment the J37 by honing out your intake manifold.
Thanks for The answers.

Christian the car was not tuned at all, trust me dont do anything until more information is released. its coming. just need facts straight first.
Rich, hope that info and new option comes flying, this seems to be an amazing breakthrough for k series!!!. The truth is that im flying to miami for vacactions for 3 days only the first week of August and i was planning to buy my final parts (if that Ever happens lol) during this week or the next so i can have everything shipped and delivered before i get there, im going to be on a tight schedule in there. As soos as you guys have the info and avialbility please Let me know, cause I undesrtand from what youre telling me is to hold on the zdx tb purchases too, not only the 3.5" intake, or am i wrong?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for The answers.

Rich, hope that info and new option comes flying, this seems to be an amazing breakthrough for k series!!!. The truth is that im flying to miami for vacactions for 3 days only the first week of August and i was planning to buy my final parts (if that Ever happens lol) during this week or the next so i can have everything shipped and delivered before i get there, im going to be on a tight schedule in there. As soos as you guys have the info and avialbility please Let me know, cause I undesrtand from what youre telling me is to hold on the zdx tb purchases too, not only the 3.5" intake, or am i wrong?
If You are going to port match the intake manifold to 70mm or more then the J37+4" is right for you if not then stick with the J35+3.5".

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rich I am very curious to see what a port matched 72mm RRC has to offer.....? well I might soon find out in a couple weeks then :rolleyes:.My last setup with the J35+3.5 CAI only gave me 204Whp and after I added the RRC and revised my tune I only saw 2whp gain :down: so lets see what this sucker has to offer this time around.:cool:

1 - 20 of 163 Posts