Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between the JDM type R motor and the US type S motor?

From what I know almost everything is different.

The valve train the cams, basically the whole head.
The intake mani, and the header
The pistons, how about the crank and rods?
What about the block?

So from what i know almost the whole motor is, but specifically would you need to replace to get the Type S motor to type R specs?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is the intake manifold flange the same pattern on both motors?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
456 Posts
jon v said:
Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between the JDM type R motor and the US type S motor?

From what I know almost everything is different.

The valve train the cams, basically the whole head.
The intake mani, and the header
The pistons, how about the crank and rods?
What about the block?

So from what i know almost the whole motor is, but specifically would you need to replace to get the Type S motor to type R specs?
Different pistons, Head flows more, Manifold flow more, Probably a stronger crank, and stronger rods for a fact, higher comp. pistons.

No difference in the block.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
C-Zero said:
No difference in the block.
So then the flanges on the intake mani would be the same, although the type R's (K20A) intake mani flows better.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jon v said:
So then the flanges on the intake mani would be the same, although the type R's (K20A) intake mani flows better.
I am planning on making a set of ITB's for my R motor, but I am going to pick up a type S intake mani to hack the flange off of :wink: . So as long as the flanges are the same thats all i am worried about
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
456 Posts
jon v said:
jon v said:
So then the flanges on the intake mani would be the same, although the type R's (K20A) intake mani flows better.
I am planning on making a set of ITB's for my R motor, but I am going to pick up a type S intake mani to hack the flange off of :wink: . So as long as the flanges are the same thats all i am worried about
?? why dont you buy ITB's.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
C-Zero said:
?? why dont you buy ITB's.
I could make some for a 1/4 or 1/2 the price and they will work exactly the same, if not better. All I need is a set of Hyabusa throttle bodies, some custome runners, and some velocity stacks and I'll be good to go :roll: Might cost me 500-600 w/labor, compared to what like 1500-2000 for a Brand name?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
456 Posts
jon v said:
C-Zero said:
?? why dont you buy ITB's.
I could make some for a 1/4 or 1/2 the price and they will work exactly the same, if not better. All I need is a set of Hyabusa throttle bodies, some custome runners, and some velocity stacks and I'll be good to go :roll: Might cost me 500-600 w/labor, compared to what like 1500-2000 for a Brand name?
There worth there price but do what ever you want it's not my car.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the head on the K24 is the same design as the K20 then I should be able to drop my ITB set up on the K24 head right?

I heard something about the TB being different, but if I am replacing it I am not sure of it's importance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
k20a-h22a swap?

i was looking at motors and the h22a type-s has the same power and torque as the k20a type-r, but costs about $2,000 less. is it possible to drop this into an o2' rsx?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
also k series is about 100 lbs less. with better everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
The type r also has a lighter flywheel, shorter gearing, and an lsd. That comes into helping it accelerate faster also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
There is a difference in the Cam Lift also, read the article Brian G posted. There is more detailed info in there about the difference between TypeS and Type R cams.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Re: k20a-h22a swap?

eltegre88 said:
i was looking at motors and the h22a type-s has the same power and torque as the k20a type-r, but costs about $2,000 less. is it possible to drop this into an o2' rsx?
If anyone ever dropped an H22 into an RSX I would slap them

The K series is better in every way and has much more potential to make power.....the 2000 savings would quickly disappear once mods began and you noticed the K made more power....

H22's belong in preludes and accords

Civics/Integras should use B/K motors

But people will do anything so maybe someday someone will drop an H22 into an RSX and we call all have a good laugh
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top