Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is meant to provide info on the differences between the varius different K24 models and the build up, and different parts needed, for the K24-K20 Hybrid.

Let me first say that as most people are, I am somewhat new to the K-series world and what i write is not neccesarily going to be correct. That is why i am writing this. To learn what i do not know.

Lets first start with the different models of the K24
I am not to sure about the differences, and what advantages one might give over the other?

Usdm TSX=K24a2
JDM Accord=K24a
Usdm CRV=K24a1

Will the K20EG mounts bolt up the same on the K24 block as they would on the K20?

Now I am planning on building a 2.4L all motor TSX motor and swapping in as much of the K20a DC5 components as i can. This would include a full type r head, is there any modification needed or will the head bolt right up? I plan on using the K24 block with custom pistons and rods, i am not sure if a new crank will be in order or if the TSX crank will be up to the job? the next step is the Tranny. From what i know the TSX tranny has a Magnesium case which is lighter than the DC5's. Is it possible to pull the gearing, and LSD out of the RSX case and install it in the TSX mag case? What would be the downsides to this if any?

This is by basic plans and this thread is here to dicuss these plans and help anyone else who is considering a comprable motor set up, so if you have a question or something to add feel free, it would be appreciated. If not thanks for reading, go do some research and come back, just don't post things that have no value.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would a built All Motor K24 250-300 whp motor need to be sleeved? I think it is a good idea just for the extra safety and I will probly end up getting it done, but is it absolutely neccesary. also what other options do i have with the crank. Is it possible to destroke the motor to get the "perfect" 1.71 ratio.
What would need to be done to do this? A custom crank, or a machined OEM crank of some kind. i have also heard people throw out the idea of using the S2 crank. What would be involved in swapping in this crank, it wouldn't just drop right in would it?

·
Registered
15,814 Posts
C-Zero said:
Your lost...... BTW UDSM CR-V K24a1 go do some research I'm tired of anwsering the same questions over and over again.
That is what moderators do... answer the same stuff over and over and over again :p

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
nikos said:
C-Zero said:
Your lost...... BTW UDSM CR-V K24a1 go do some research I'm tired of anwsering the same questions over and over again.
That is what moderators do... answer the same stuff over and over and over again :p
We need to steel some emoticons facial expression for the look on my face right now.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
C-Zero said:
Your lost...... research I'm tired of anwsering the same questions over and over again.
Do you care to elaberate?
Would you mind trying some of the other more complicated questions?
It's not like there is a lot of places to research this stuff, plus the more info on the site the better the site is.

So when building a 2.4L K series is the TSX block the best to start out with?

P.S. you should steel the thumbs up, i use that one a lot :wink:

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can the K20 mounts be used for the K24 motor?

If I want to build a 2.4L K series is the TSX motor my best platfrom to start from?

Now I am planning on building a 2.4L all motor TSX motor and swapping in as much of the K20a DC5 components as i can. This would include a full type r head, is there any modification needed or will the head bolt right up? I plan on using the K24 block with custom pistons and rods, i am not sure if a new crank will be in order or if the TSX crank will be up to the job? the next step is the Tranny. From what i know the TSX tranny has a Magnesium case which is lighter than the DC5's. Is it possible to pull the gearing, and LSD out of the RSX case and install it in the TSX mag case? What would be the downsides to this if any?

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
C-Zero said:
Your lost...... BTW UDSM CR-V K24a1
So what is a K24a4?

Is it a JDM model?

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
jon v said:
Can the K20 mounts be used for the K24 motor?

If I want to build a 2.4L K series is the TSX motor my best platfrom to start from?

k24a4 is from element and the accord it's not JDM.

I can't really say too much about the TSX head but lets hope Brian G. happends to see this thread and elaborate on the TSX cylinder head.

The cylinders heads are interchangable, but using a different Intake manifold on the TSX will take modification. Remember the TSX has the throttle by wire system which is not useable.

Using the K24 block will cost you alot of money. Remember this, the K24 has a 99mm stroke, I don't see any V8's that I know of with this stroke. This would call for a complete block rebuild. The stock crank will be up to the job within its tolerance.

The TSX transmission may have a magnesium case, but it is bigger than the RSX/Integra Transmisson and the wieght is not much of a difference. I do not know about internal interchangeability, but most likely the are interchangable. The US RSX has no LSD from what I know but the Type R does.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nikos said:
Many people seem to think destroking it is the way to go.

HEre is IB's K24 Killer short block

PACKAGE 14: IB K24 Block
<< Back Next >>
Description: K24 Block "Killer K Series" is what a lot of people are saying nowadays. This thing is the perfect block. By far the best block for a Honda/Acura we can think of. How about a 90 MM IB Spec Crank, with IB Spec Rods, IB Spec pistons and a Rod/Stroke Ratio of 1.71? How about that? That makes it a 2.2-2.3 depending on bore size! Notice we have DE-STROKED it from 99 MM to 90. So you can make more top end power and rev this thing!
IB Spec Pistons
Compressions come in 9:1, 10.:1, 11.5:1, 12:1, 13+:1
New Type-S oil pump
IB Spec Forged Rods, Ultralight
Crank balanced and Polished
Sleeved so you can bore up to 90 MM!!
So a new crank is the way to go!! What about changing the displacemnet via the sleeeves?

I have to do a little more research on rod/stroke ratio, and the different ways of changeing it.

Then i see a very nice motor coming.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts