Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
261 - 280 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
So before I buttoned it up with the new pan I decided to re-check my timing and the intake cam seemed to be off just a bit, maybe 1 tooth. So i pulled the timing cover back off and adjusted the intake gear and pulse plate to try and take up some of the slack:

Hole here for the pin was just off a bit so after unscrewing the pulse plate and the 17mm bolt from the vtc gear I was able to get it just about perfect as far as lining up but the chain shows it's perfect in time:

Bottom end:

Oil Pan:

Then closed it back up:

Going to try and get my exhaust welded up this weekend. Still trying to decide though if I want Vbands or not.....Ok yes i do :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Nice. I definitely like the progress.
:up: tryin to get there. How's the diet going?

My vbands came in today. Now I just need to decide what configuration they will work best in. Was thinking of having one welded to the test pipe and get rid of the 3 bolt flange on it now. The other I'm not so sure about. Maybe the transition before the muffler. Thinking 3 separate cx. 2 vbands and 1 two bolt flange.

Decided to try one of these also for the 2 bolt.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
V-bands are cool. I got one off my megaphone. I would think you'd need one after the bend near the LCA and, maybe, one at the end of the tunnel. I don't see you messing with removal of just the muffler. I figure it's about install and removal.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
Yeah that's what I was thinking, not right at the muffler but before it bends at the lca. I need to get under the car and figure out the layout and where the resonators will go still. Will try and do that and post up pics this weekend, maybe bounce a few ideas off ya....

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
Up up...

Mimicking the Oem route

Smaller res: Should fit right in the same stock location

Ultra quiet res: Looks like it will also fit in the stock location but may need to turn it sideways. Can also see my polishing effort on the muffler which fits also.

How I want to lay it out. Thinking cutting the 3 bolt flange off the test pipe and replacing it with the 1st vband

Second one will go here right off the other res. The oem exhaust also has a flange here

Looks like this should work. Now just need to figure out who/where to get it welded up.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I would think you'd be charge 1-2hrs extra labor with the two V-bands. I would ask a quote from a few muffler shops. Some guys don't like you bringing them product while other guys are cool charging just labor.

Do the v-bands slip over the rear resonator? I'm guessing it's too big (same sizes)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
One of my in-laws does quite a bit of business with an exhaust shop in or around Manteca so I think I'll give them a call to see what kind of prices they quote. There is also a shop not too far from here I had install a high flow cat on the other swap I may checkout. They are only by apt on the weekends though.
The rear res is 3in" and out so the vband can be welded directly to it I believe. They should be able to cut to fit so that the res can mate up to the start of the transition into the lca section.

Pic to help:

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Resonators and muffler are often a little bigger than the pipe. It lets you slip them over the pipe and weld it up. I would check to see if you can get the V-band over the resonator. It may make things easier on the welder.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah the bands are the same 3in ID as the res so nope that part won't be easy. The piping kit though has a few cx that will slip fit as its OD is 3in.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
So fail today on getting the exhaust welded up. Went to an exhaust shop near the mall and was told I shouldn't use vbands and that 3in was too big for the area near the lca. Recommend I look for a kit and also didn't have a tig welder:thud:
Guess I will keep searching. A performance shop may be my best bet it seems or at least a shop that deals with imports a bit more.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hate when I go to a shop and they try to lecture their clients. I mean, at times it seems logical. But 65% of time it's stubborn shops with no experience on the particular car. I have full-race 3" catback.....

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
Yeah I think the shop owner felt like he was saving me money/time and teaching me which I did appreciate and told him so but, it's my car. I'm going to have it done the way I want. One thing he did help me out on though was the test pipe transition. I was thinking it could be stretched to a 3in outlet but he said that stretching ss that much will make it weak enough to crack with enough heat. So I'm ordering a 2.5-3in reducer which will have to be welded to the test pipe and then vband to the reducer to mate up with the exhaust.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Give Chad at barbershop performance(used to be CTR) a ring. Had him do my exhaust on my prelude, a bit pricey, but really quality work. He moved from Modesto to Empire.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Chad is the one who tuned me. But he is kinda far from us for exhaust weld up.

You Dont need a tig welder for V-Bands. My reverse megaphone had a V-Band. I just had my dad's good friend weld with 220 Mig. As long as the welds are done clean....there is no issues. I didn't have to grind or anything like that.

Find someone local who has worked with V-Bands. Some of these old guys don't like new stuff.

Can you list some reasons you feel the need for V-Bands? (outside of reselling the system).

Is the exhaust guy worried about LCA movement? Did he even mock up or just use his judgement based on all the 06+ Civics he has never done lol. If my little EG can have 3"....you can too.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
It's not so much resale value as it is ease of installation and removal. Once I swap the 24 I'd rather not have any suspicion as to modifications on the car. So come smog time(every 2yrs) I will swap the header and full exhaust back to stock along with anything in the bay that does not have a Cali carb #
Will be nice to not have to buy gaskets either.

He tried eyeballing it basically and then said with 3 I'd be rubbing the spring or the body anytime the exhaust moved. I admit it does look close but would work if positioned correctly.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
Installed my front lip Friday night. Took a few hours but I took my time to make sure there were no gaps and everything lined up perfectly.

Here are a few install pics:
Getting started

Welcome to my office/engine room:)

Here it is installed and ready to pull the tape to expose the adhesive:

Installed and ready to go back on the car.

and viola:

Exhaust is being done this weekend also so may be able to post up a clip Monday on how it sounds......

261 - 280 of 306 Posts