Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i was curious to see what people used and what they liked. I was going to try the royal purple stuff which is basically same price as synthetic anyway.

·
Registered
938 Posts
yea i was curious to see what people used and what they liked. I was going to try the royal purple stuff which is basically same price as synthetic anyway.
royal purple is a synthetic? depending on the application it maybe no better than cheaper options out there.

if you're using conventional oil, castrol gtx is an excellent choice, but there are also many others around the same price range.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i believe royal purple is a synthetic, i could be wrong. just heard it was a good oil. Just curious on the option of going with something NOn synthetic , or something like a mobil1 fully synthetic.

royal purple is a synthetic? depending on the application it maybe no better than cheaper options out there.

if you're using conventional oil, castrol gtx is an excellent choice, but there are also many others around the same price range.

·
Registered
55 Posts
ive used mobil 1 full synthetic since day 1 and have no problems. i do change every 3k though or if i drive real heavy every 2.5k

·
Premium Member
18,977 Posts
ive used mobil 1 full synthetic since day 1 and have no problems. i do change every 3k though or if i drive real heavy every 2.5k
thats honestly a waste....the oils viscosity has not even begun to break down by 3K....you'd honestly be better off just changing your filter and topping off the oil

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
bisimoto claims Torco has an 8hp gain over conventional oil...the most out of any synthetic...

I have always used mobil1, but plan on trying Torco next change...thats more than most intakes....
Yeah, my only concern with other oils like torco is that it isn't easily available. I can get a 5qt bottle of mobil1 for $22 @ wal-mart.

Although I've been considering going amsoil.

I need to do an oil analysis on my mobil1 to see how well its holding up after a track weekend.

·
Infinite levels to this..
25,373 Posts
:up:i've used over the years Amsoil, Redline, Mobil 1, Castrol GTX, Eneos, Royal Purple, and Quaker State. all in 5w-30 and i've come to find Amsoil to be the best. like rbsjnh said i did read that bisi uses Torco and swears by it's 8hp gain so I plan on trying it after thanksgiving since the oil change will probably be up. If torco isn't as good as amsoil i'll let yall know but as of right now i just suck it up and pay for amsoil. if you read up on them they really are top notch

changing synthetic every 2.5-3k is a complete waste. synthetics run up to 6k before they need changing on average. change ya filter every 3k and use an s2000 one:up:

·
Premium Member
18,977 Posts
:up:i've used over the years Amsoil, Redline, Mobil 1, Castrol GTX, Eneos, Royal Purple, and Quaker State. all in 5w-30 and i've come to find Amsoil to be the best. like rbsjnh said i did read that bisi uses Torco and swears by it's 8hp gain so I plan on trying it after thanksgiving since the oil change will probably be up. If torco isn't as good as amsoil i'll let yall know but as of right now i just suck it up and pay for amsoil. if you read up on them they really are top notch

changing synthetic every 2.5-3k is a complete waste. synthetics run up to 6k before they need changing on average. change ya filter every 3k and use an s2000 one:up:
I actually use the standard 15400-plm-a01 honda filter...I put a band clamp around it...allows for more filtration and the clamp stops the oil pressure dips...Spoon taught me that one...

·
Infinite levels to this..
25,373 Posts
hhmmm im a have to try that. i always used the s2k one cause even though amsoil makes some damn good oil, their filters suck. poor filtering capabilities i saw in a test. 15400-plm-a01 actually does have the best filtering.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts