Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as I can gather, My JDM AST5 6 speed has the 4.76:1 final drive. 225/45x15 tires. It's horrible to drive like this in everyday traffic - I'm in 5th gear by about 40 miles per hour - I can leave it in 4th down to around 20 mph. Feels pretty horrible. Cruising in 6th, revs are too high for commuter traffic.

As far as I can tell, the 4.38 from the RSX Type S is the only option?

Honda K-Series 4.3 Final Drive

and revised bearing

Does anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
126 Posts
won't make much of a difference imo. I have the same ''problem'' with a type S transmission and similar size tires. You'd be better with a base model RSX 5 speed transmission or an accord 5 speed

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was wondering about this too because I am going to be K24 swapping my daily driver ES1 and I don’t want it revving super high driving down the highway. I’m thinking I am going to go with the 02-04 RSX-S trans with a 4.38 FD and install a TSX 6th gear to get the RPM down. With that setup I should have good power and only be running at around 2400 going 60, 2800 going 70, and about 3200 going 60, which I’m happy with. Here’s a cool site that you can use to graph your gear ratios Honda Transmission Calculator

·
Registered
263 Posts
I was wondering about this too because I am going to be K24 swapping my daily driver ES1 and I don’t want it revving super high driving down the highway. I’m thinking I am going to go with the 02-04 RSX-S trans with a 4.38 FD and install a TSX 6th gear to get the RPM down. With that setup I should have good power and only be running at around 2400 going 60, 2800 going 70, and about 3200 going 60, which I’m happy with. Here’s a cool site that you can use to graph your gear ratios Honda Transmission Calculator
My k24 will be paired with a 4.3 final drive Type s trans hoping it’s not too high of rpM on the freeway 🙄

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm unsure what gearing I actually have, besides the 4.76 FD. My trans is labelled AST5 - which according to the charts I see listed as Accord - not TSX? Mine definitely doesn't have 4.38 FD.

I'd be happier with shorter than 4.3 FD, honestly. That doesn't seem that it would make much difference to what I have now.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bit the bullet & ordered one of the 4;00 FD sets. I'm just not going to be happy driving the car with the 4:7 set. I found mention that a different bearing is needed - but now I can't locate that reference....

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a '03 RSX Type S six speed with the TSX sixth paired to a K24. Initially I didn't like the big jump from 5th to 6th but it really isn't that bad. Definitely prefer the lower engine speeds while cruising.
That is what I am planning on doing. I assume it still has decent power when cruising down the highway in 6th gear?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts