Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new A2 trans case and I need definitive info on what other internal part(s) i need to get to swap the cases. I have ready Dr.Honda's thread, I'm not interested in modifying Z3 case.

many thanks :up:

·
Super Moderator
26,613 Posts
Just open up the Z3 Case and take out EVERYTHING on the inside of that case, drop a speedo ring gear on the diff, then drop it all into the A2 case, seal it up.

·
Banned
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the reply but I have read a couple posts here and other sites that using the A2 case requires the use of some A2 bearings. Just trying to get all the info straight.

·
Super Moderator
26,613 Posts
I appreciate the reply but I have read a couple posts here and other sites that using the A2 case requires the use of some A2 bearings. Just trying to get all the info straight.

The A2 has a 4.3 Final Drive.... The Z3 has a 4.7 Final Drive. The needle bearings sizes are different. Therefore since you are using the 4.7 Final drive inside of the A2 case, you are going to need the needle bearing from the z3 case to put inside the A2.... There are only 2 bearings inside the case. One that houses the countershaft and the other one is where the mainshaft goes through. The mainshaft bearings are the same between the two. Not the countershaft however. That is the one that you need.

·
Banned
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seriously? Just swap guts and add VSS ring gear? All the BS ive been reading, jeez. I knew about the ring gear already though. I'm actually going to put the 5.062 FD in and have all those parts. I appreciate it!

·
Super Moderator
26,613 Posts
Seriously? Just swap guts and add VSS ring gear? All the BS ive been reading, jeez. I knew about the ring gear already though. I'm actually going to put the 5.062 FD in and have all those parts. I appreciate it!
NP.. Just find out which needle bearing you need to have to install that f/d and you're set. Also yeah change the final gear on the diff as well.. Other than that you're set. Pretty simple. :up:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Does all this info apply to an ep3 5speed as well? I know the case numbers between the a2 and a3 are the same but do I need to follow the same guidelines?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
maybe you have never came across this signal. maybe my situation is unique. i had an a3 5spd tranny. same case as a2. the only thing i did was install the ring gear from the a3 tranny on a z3 lsd diff. i also used the z3 diff shim. well the shim ended up being too thick. it ate the outer carrier/diff bearing up. scored the case a little.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's the same. I used the 5spd case on a build, Z3 guts. :up:
maybe you have never came across this signal. maybe my situation is unique. i had an a3 5spd tranny. same case as a2. the only thing i did was install the ring gear from the a3 tranny on a z3 lsd diff. i also used the z3 diff shim. well the shim ended up being too thick. it ate the outer carrier/diff bearing up. scored the case a little.
You have to measure the shims, procedure is in the FSM. The procedures are on 13-46 and 13-53.
^^^ This. im curious because ive heard you need to use certain bearings from the A3's casing with the Z3 parts, and signalpuke what is this shimming? my freind is going to be doing the trans conversion, he is a honda mechanic and is taking both trannies to his dealership to do the gear swap. is there ANYTHING else i would need to do? what do i do about my speed sensor? do i swap the sensor ring over or does it work? does my shifter arm assembly work with the 6 speed setup from my 5 speed? and will my axles work, the car its going in is an 04 si (5 lug) with a 11psi jrsc/watermeth setup

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry about bumping an old thread like this but i need some help and i want to make sure i'm getting this right before preceding.

I currently own a 87 accord with an a2 code manual transmission(2.0l efi LXI). 5th is out and i have a chance to pick up a k20z3 tranny for cheaper than i can rebuild mine after i buy 5th gear. From what i have read here, the guts from the k20z3 will fit my a2 case. and since that case goes to my car i shouldn't have to modify anything on the case right?

Btw, the k20z3 is a 5 speed. And i wanted to ask is k20z3 the transmission code or engine code and if it's the engine code what is the tranny code i'm looking for.

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
15,557 Posts
Sorry about bumping an old thread like this but i need some help and i want to make sure i'm getting this right before preceding.

I currently own a 87 accord with an a2 code manual transmission(2.0l efi LXI). 5th is out and i have a chance to pick up a k20z3 tranny for cheaper than i can rebuild mine after i buy 5th gear. From what i have read here, the guts from the k20z3 will fit my a2 case. and since that case goes to my car i shouldn't have to modify anything on the case right?

Btw, the k20z3 is a 5 speed. And i wanted to ask is k20z3 the transmission code or engine code and if it's the engine code what is the tranny code i'm looking for.

Thanks for the help
I hope I understood your question correct first, k20a2, k20z3 are engine codes. If you are currently using a k20a2 transmission and you want to use a k20z3 you can.

You need to use you your k20a2 case, speedometer, speedometer drive gear and shift mechanisn.
You need to make sure you use the k20z3 countershaft bearing on the clutch case because the k20z3 uses a 4.7fd and k20a2 uses 4.3fd.

Both of these transmissions are 6 speed btw :up:

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok, then im up a creek then. Guess i'll lay down the 500 or so on parts and hope i won't need a clutch. thanks again

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Wat bout speed sensor i dont c a place where to put it on the a2 tranny case
Doped sensor from the z3 tranny?
You dont use the z3 SS anymore, that's why you have to install the ring speed gear from the a2 tranny to the z3 LSD because now you will pick speed signal from the a2 speed sensor
Hope that helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok so newby here and forgive me for bumping this up again but my z3 trannys 3rd gear is gone and im trying to find out how to fix it as cheap as possable. a freind has an A2 trans for sale and was wondering what is needed to mate it to the k20z3, unless i can just slap it on and call it a day?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Can one swap 5spd internals into the z3 case?

Also... is it possible to use z1 internals in a z3 case?

Kinda different, And i havent heard of it... I understand z3 internals are more wanted... but some of us that have damaged 5spd/z1 cases and fucked z3 internals with no money... want to just get the car running lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts