Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is way out there but I think there are more people like me.

Does anyone know/think the K20a will fit into an 91-95 MR2?

Mid engine, rear wheel drive + K20a power

I love the Elise with the K20a but for those of us who cant afford a 40K chassis I think the MR2 would do just as nice....heavier but the K motor is obviously is much better than the stock MR2 motor and will make more power.

Does anyone have an idea?

I think RWD K power that can be done for half the price of the Lotus option is something a few of us would be interested in.

Just thought I would ask

·
Registered
285 Posts
i thought about it but its pretty much alot of work for not much; espically if youre going to try to keep it all motor(k20a). the mr2 chassis is really heavy; the k20a's are usually swapped into lighter chassis. a k20a mr2 cannot compete againts a k20a exige/elise. the mr2 motor can make more power then the k20a; the 3s-gte is built for boost and there are many making over 300hp easily. the mr2 chassis(with stock motor) weighs close to 3000lbs. a k20a eg will pretty much smoke the hell out of a k20a mr2. it would be better to swap a k20a motor into a mr-s though; since they are lighter and have better suspension.

·
Registered
420 Posts
exactly, sort of misses the point...

Also, Lotus Elise chassis as you put it do not cost anything like $40K

if you on about what they cost new, then you missing the point, nobody is going to buy a new car then bin the engine etc.

if, however, you can buy a second hand Elise for under $15K with a wheezy Rover K in it, then it makes a shed load more sence...

Also, be awaire that the US version of the Elise is somewhat bloated comparied to the ones we have, basic Elise here is ~700-740Kg's kerb weight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scuffers said:
exactly, sort of misses the point...

Also, Lotus Elise chassis as you put it do not cost anything like $40K

if you on about what they cost new, then you missing the point, nobody is going to buy a new car then bin the engine etc.

if, however, you can buy a second hand Elise for under $15K with a wheezy Rover K in it, then it makes a shed load more sence...

Also, be awaire that the US version of the Elise is somewhat bloated comparied to the ones we have, basic Elise here is ~700-740Kg's kerb weight.
Locally I have seen an older Lotus (2001-2002) With a US ITR motor....nice setup

I thought about the newer MR2's and I have seen a few vids of newer MR2's with the Celica GTS motor NA they were pretty sick

An older 91 MR2 with a boosted K series would be worth it I think considering how cheap the chassis is

An olde Elise would go for a pretty penny compared to 2-3K for an NA 91 MR2

Cost wise a 91 MR2 is a decent deal
Power to weight wise a newer lighter MR2 would make more sense

Didnt TOP FUEL make a MR Del Sol?

Seeing what the Prototype Racing Elises' are doing is sick....a mini NSX would be an awesome sight.....K series RWD.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.