Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a good set of super light rims.. It'l be mostly be used at the track. Anyone know any superlight rims thats available?? It'l be going on to an EG.. Any price range. Doesnt matter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't waste money on super-light rims... People often forget that they are still going to strap a 20lb+ tire on it. You can find Rota's and Kosei's in the 11-13lb range.
hey common,
I didnt mean to offend you man.. Its you're opinion and I respect it. Just wanna let you know you're responce was appreciated.

·
Registered
44,673 Posts
There is a lot to take into account with this question though. Two that pop into my head at the moment are the strength of the rim, and where the majority of the mass is. Kommon is right though, tires end up weighing more in the end. Every little bit helps, but the cost to performance increases drastically after a certain point. :up: I like the Enkei RPF1 and Volks:D

·
Registered
211 Posts
Im not sure about strength but SPOON 15" wheels weigh around 8 pounds..BUDDYCLUB has 12 pound forged wheels. Volks are also great. Toyo tires are the lightest tires you can get (that I know from) but I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Here is an example... My stock 14" steelies with tires weighed 35lbs (18lb rim). I now have some 11.4lb 15" wheels and the lightest performance tire that I could find (toyo t1-s which weighs just over 18lbs). So new lightweight wheel with tires weighs in at 30lbs. So I saved nearly 7lbs on the rim, but only 5lbs on the combo...

On top of that, consider that the tire is weight furthest away from the hub/axle... That is the worse possible place to have weight. So spending large sums of cash to save weight at the hub/center of the wheel buys you very little.

So this is just my opinion, but spending $1400-$2000 on superlight forged wheels is past the point of diminishing returns. You can get a nice lightweight wheel for about $500-700 and put the extra money where it counts... track time... suspension upgrades... power adders... etc...

If I'm ever good enough to turn lap times on a road course consistent enough that they are all within 1/10th of a second, then I'll start worrying about all of the little pieces like featherlight rims :)

Bottom line is that sometimes people get too focused on little details and they need to step back and look at the entire project to see where is the best place to spend their money.

·
Registered
26 Posts
kommon_sense said:
Here is an example... My stock 14" steelies with tires weighed 35lbs (18lb rim). I now have some 11.4lb 15" wheels and the lightest performance tire that I could find (toyo t1-s which weighs just over 18lbs). So new lightweight wheel with tires weighs in at 30lbs. So I saved nearly 7lbs on the rim, but only 5lbs on the combo...

On top of that, consider that the tire is weight furthest away from the hub/axle... That is the worse possible place to have weight. So spending large sums of cash to save weight at the hub/center of the wheel buys you very little.

So this is just my opinion, but spending $1400-$2000 on superlight forged wheels is past the point of diminishing returns. You can get a nice lightweight wheel for about $500-700 and put the extra money where it counts... track time... suspension upgrades... power adders... etc...

If I'm ever good enough to turn lap times on a road course consistent enough that they are all within 1/10th of a second, then I'll start worrying about all of the little pieces like featherlight rims :)

Bottom line is that sometimes people get too focused on little details and they need to step back and look at the entire project to see where is the best place to spend their money.
i agree,you dont have to spend shit loads of money,for example most Rota's are good for track and dont weigh much but heard some "horror" stories of them getting bent. In that matter,Work Emotions are not that lite but seem to be very strong,again there probably still liter then stock-ez.um,for my EP3 id choose 16in Enkei rpf1's which cost like 800 bucks.for a eg,crx get some 14's for like 740 bucks almost anywhere.

·
Registered
798 Posts
even the littlest weight savings is really alot when the wheels are spinning....whatever weight you lose is around double when the wheels are spinning
and its less weight for the shocks to deal with

·
Registered
19 Posts
if you are looking for a light rim for drag racing...i would go with some LENSO VPD wheels, you can find wheel and slick combos on honda-tech

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
THeNApsTeR said:
even the littlest weight savings is really alot when the wheels are spinning....whatever weight you lose is around double when the wheels are spinning
and its less weight for the shocks to deal with
Actually it isn't. And we need to look at rotational weight and unsprung weight seperately.

Think about it like this. Take a 5lb weight and hold it close to your chest... Now spin around... Its easy. Take a 10lb weight and do the same thing... Well, it is nearly as easy. No significant difference.

Now take the same 5lb weight and hold it out at arms length and spin around. It is *much* harder with it held out than it was holding it close to your chest. Now try the same thing with the 10lb weight. Now you can really feel the difference between the 5lb and 10lb weight.

My point is weight itself isn't something to be obsessed about. It is *WHERE* the weight is that matters.

You are sticking a 20lb tire far away from the hub... So shaving 2-3lbs at the hub of the wheel (which is where many lightweight wheels make their savings) really starts to become insignificant.

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
PRODIGY_EG-CIVIC said:
Im looking for a good set of super light rims.. It'l be mostly be used at the track. Anyone know any superlight rims thats available?? It'l be going on to an EG.. Any price range. Doesnt matter.
lensos all the way probly 10-12 pounds with slicks on it

·
Registered
284 Posts
ricanfe3 said:
I have Konig Heliums and are really light 15" wheels and are priced very nicely They weigh in at 10.8 pounds each. I can't complain there.
:up:

or the new feather (wieghs about the same)

buywheelstoday.com has heliums for 90 bucks a wheel (shipping is like $13)

·
Registered
77 Posts
i have motegi track lites. they weight 8 lbs. they made a huge difference. my 1/4 mile trap before the rims were a consistant 93mph. when i got the rims on there they went to consistant 95 mph. i paid about 1400 for the rims and falken azenis rt-615's

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.