Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
My other car is a S2000
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The situation is that HASPORT has sent me the wrong driver's side axle. This has delayed the completion of my swap by one full week already. They don't have shipment of the new one yet, and once they do, they still need to ship it out to me.

Hybrid-Racing has worked with me to get me up and running as fast as possible. They can get me a set of axles at a very good price. If I order today, they can have them made and shipped out today (directly from manufacturer to me). This means I can get a new set of axles by Monday or Tuesday of next week.

This will add to my current swap budget about another $400. I have the stock RSX and B-series axles still and could get someone to hack together what others have done (although I'd need a better detail of what's used from what axle).

My options are to:

1. Wait out HASPORT's order....
---This delays completion of my car at least another full week.
++This costs the least in money

2. Order Hybrid-Racing axles (yes I know they all come from DSS).
---I will have an extra set of axles (should I sell them or keep them?)
---This is most expensive solution
++I will have my car up and running by end of next week.

3. Wait on the HASPORT axles and get the OEM units frankenstein'd together.
---This is an additional expense....I'm not sure how much, but my guess is less than option 2.
+++I will have my car up and running by end of next week
+++I will have an extra set of axles if the OEM's don't hold up.

The car is supposed to be a daily driver for me, tuned for some pep (but by no means used for dragging, hard launches, street races, etc.).

What would you guys do, and what woud you suggest I do?

·
Banned
15,811 Posts
You have nothing to loose.

Located 2 97 prelude axles (you only need the shafts) (thanks to John ek20a and tagman for the info)

Use the prelude shafts with GSR outers and RSX inners. You will need a special tool to do this. You can call around town, I am sure someone might be able to do it for you.

·
My other car is a S2000
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nikos said:
You have nothing to loose.

Located 2 97 prelude axles (you only need the shafts) (thanks to John ek20a and tagman for the info)

Use the prelude shafts with GSR outers and RSX inners. You will need a special tool to do this. You can call around town, I am sure someone might be able to do it for you.
Nikos,

Does this work for both the pass. and driver's side? I happen to have the tool to take the boot clamps off and on....is there any other tool needed. I'm fairly well versed working on cars....just never have done any work with axles.

·
Banned
15,811 Posts
Yes, I was told it works on EGs on both sides. I see no reason why the DC2 would be different.

Here's a picture I took a while back on 3 sets of axles.

The gsr axles, the hasport for EG and the hasport for EK

The axles with the tags are the EK ones.

·
My other car is a S2000
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nikos said:
Yes, I was told it works on EGs on both sides. I see no reason why the DC2 would be different.

Here's a picture I took a while back on 3 sets of axles.

The gsr axles, the hasport for EG and the hasport for EK

The axles with the tags are the EK ones.
Those GSR axles are OEM? If so, does anyone think that they can work out in a pinch if the car is riding stock height, rather than lowered?

·
My other car is a S2000
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nikos said:
no man, the hasport axles are not compressed the same way.. the pic can trick you... Maybe one side might work..

Try the prelude shafts.
I'm having trouble finding Prelude axles anywhere locally. BTW, do you know if the 4th gen (92-96) Prelude axles are the same as the 5th gen (97+) Preludes?

One more BTW, I have to really give you my appreciation in helping with sharing your knowledge on this. Thank you VERY MUCH!!!

·
My other car is a S2000
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
drhonda said:
I would probably just wait for Hasport to get it together, whats another week to do it right way? Thats my first question, second are you in a hurry because you need the car to drive? Or is there a competition/show your trying to get it ready for?
The shop doing the conversion suggestes doing the same. I followed the advice and now to come find out that HASPORT still doesn't have stock of axles yet.

So even if they get the axles in today and ship today, the shop won't see the axles until Friday or Saturday if HASPORT upgrades shipping. If they don't upgrade shipping, that's another 5 days of delay.

Downtime looks like it's going to be at least 3 whole weeks!!! It almost won't surprise me if it turns into one full month of downtime due to a silly axle issue....an issue that would have not existed if there were some quality control measures. This whole wait time on the axles has been, "What's another week?" Hell it took them one week just get the one that was sent out back to them.

I'm in a hurry to get the car done for multiple reasons:

1. I would like to drive the car...Chicago winters are horrible on the S2000.

2. The cost value of money is getting higher the more time it spends in the shop and I'm not driving it.

3. The car has been down and out since November....it hasn't been driven for three months now. This isn't a hot rod, project car, show car, etc. This is meant to be a mean daily driver.

4. Delays in getting this car done, has delayed me working on my S2000 for this upcoming track and show season.

5. Delays in getting the axle is going to cause delays in finishing the car. Aside from the axle, the car is 90% done. The other 10% is buttoning up small things and working out any small gremlins. The gremlins can't be worked out until the car can be turned on.

Keep in mind HASPORT was made aware of the situation on the evening of January 6, 2005. The call tag for pick up didn't come until January 10th. It is now January 26.

What would you do?

·
My other car is a S2000
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Forgot to mention the other reasons this car needs to be done:

1. The shop that has the car has had it awhile. I'm sure they want to see this car out of the garage.

2. The shop has other work that is starting to stack up. Depending on logistics, if they start on other work, the axle may show up. Do they then stop working on the car they were to finish mine up, or do they finish the current car being worked on and then get to mine (further delaying my car's finish). BTW, this shop isn't the typical tuner. They do custom work and fabrication type of projects. So starting on another car means they will be working on that car for days...it's not typical bolt-on work (like my K swap).

3. The more anxious they get about finishing my car and getting it out, the more I worry. This shop does great work, but at the same point, I don't want to worry about having my car rushed out the door and not getting the proper attention she may need early on. Getting the axle soon could alleviate that.

·
My other car is a S2000
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup,

Driving this car in the winter is not the greatest, but makes its way:

·
My other car is a S2000
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Swap Update: As of yesterday, HASPORT STILL doesn't have shipment of axles. :roll:

Car is done....pics will be taken tonight. Car does move forward and backward....only putting out 2 hp*, though.

*HP = human power....you know the kind of power when people get behind the car and PUSH.

·
My other car is a S2000
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok....so the axle that I need came into the shop on Saturday morning. Unfortunately, the lifts were all occupied. The one car that they will be moving to get to my car is an IS3000 getting a turbo Supra swap (with 6spd). They couldn't move it on Saturday due to the motor was close to getting pulled.

Anyway, axle will be installed today, fluids will be filled, and K-Pro will be loaded with initial program.

Once they get the car rolling on its own power, they will remount the front end (headlights, brackets and such), and it will be time to try and do a wideband tune.

I may have to get the exhaust mounted properly at a muffler shop before doing a street tune.

I'm giddy with excitement like a little girl getting a Barbie playhouse for her b-day. It's hard to imagine that I'm almost 30 yrs. old.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.