Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I would like to do a 2.0 k swap race engine with low budget, here is my idea, may I have some suggestion plz?

base rule:no R/ si parts swap unless it is a upgradable parts or rule needed--- the budget can buy R or si engine directly if use too much expensive R parts, upgradable parts(piston, cam etc) can use because lots of 2nd hand on market, or just buy the upgrade parts

capaciti: 2.0, if I use 2.4, I'll in the same class with the crazy 2.7 kit monster

base engine: CRV K20A4 or SEA Accord K20A7---easy to get & cheap in my place, which is better?

target: same place as the budget tune FD2 Type R (most of the crazy tuner in 2.4 class)

Head: Vtec Killer by exhaust rocker, I saw some people said CRV K24 head is good but can't find the reason, is it true & why? the stock head of A7 is RAA, is it ok to use?
I know that combustion chamber of 20a3 is smaller, is RAA the same?

cam: K24A or Z3 Type S cam, it is quite cheap here, FD2 or aftermarket swap if the price is ok

piston: Type R---lots of 2nd hand drop down from the race car

rod: keep it stock or aftermarket if the price is ok

crank: stock

intake manifold: DC5 or TSX plastic + variable valve remove------aftermarket manifold is not allowed under the rules, FD2 intake is the best but crazy expensive, TSX is much cheaper but not sure its performance

throttle: no idea, must be OEM, which model is better & low price?

exhaust header: aftermarket

trans: stock 5 speed----6 speed is quite expensive, a kit of base model engine + 6 speed can buy a K24 si kit

diff: I heard that the lsd of 6 speed can be use in 5 speed but not sure, that lsd is not expensive, or 1.5way directly?

final drive: CRV 2.0 5.062

ecu: k pro or k tune reflash, or is type r / si ecu ok for vtec killer?

here is my idea, thx for your suggestion

·
Registered
530 Posts
what type of racing? What car?
I am still not sure you would save money with this build vs getting a K20a2 swap package, an RBC intake manifold and a doctronic ECU. With a decent header you get 220-230 HP out of it, get some DC5 or K20z3 cams you hit 240-245 crank HP, all together with stock level low down torque, i.e. 200Nm from not much above idle.
VTEC Killer will be a gutless engine idling at some 1500 rpm all coming alive above 4000-5000 rpm. The only racing I can see this making sense is drag racing combined with a build engine that can rev 9000 rpm or higher.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
what type of racing? What car?
I am still not sure you would save money with this build vs getting a K20a2 swap package, an RBC intake manifold and a doctronic ECU. With a decent header you get 220-230 HP out of it, get some DC5 or K20z3 cams you hit 240-245 crank HP, all together with stock level low down torque, i.e. 200Nm from not much above idle.
VTEC Killer will be a gutless engine idling at some 1500 rpm all coming alive above 4000-5000 rpm. The only racing I can see this making sense is drag racing combined with a build engine that can rev 9000 rpm or higher.
I know A2 is good, A2 is my dream engine, but A2 & all of other 2.0 Si & Type S engine is not available in my place, it is impossible to get the spare engine even if you found 1. what I can buy is 2.4 Si engine, Daddy's car engine, & tons of Type R Red top.

the DC5 & CL7 Red top kit is double price as Type S K24A, FD2 is quadruple of it, so I would be happy if I can get a K20A2, but I can't.

I would race in local 2.0 na touring car road course racing, 99% of current race car is Red Top K20a Swap on any car (S2000, MX5, BRZ, FA1, FK7,GK5.......etc), & 1% Cilo Cup Car(with lower weight limit than K engine car)

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,513 Posts
The crv k24a1 head flows the most CFM through the ports supposedly. Any oem cams will be a good choice for the vtec killer but I think the tsx will give the most power. K20a2 throttle body, k20z3 intake manifold if you can. You will need kpro to run vtec killer properly. You can interchange the oem lsd between 5 and 6 speed gearboxes. Not all questions answered but some lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The crv k24a1 head flows the most CFM through the ports supposedly. Any oem cams will be a good choice for the vtec killer but I think the tsx will give the most power. K20a2 throttle body, k20z3 intake manifold if you can. You will need kpro to run vtec killer properly. You can interchange the oem lsd between 5 and 6 speed gearboxes. Not all questions answered but some lol
is CRV 24 use RAA head?

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,513 Posts
is CRV 24 use RAA head?
RAA is similar but with smaller ports. PPA is the k24a1 cylinder head code , I’m pretty sure if you get a complete base
Model jdm k24a with the crv plastic runner intake manifold it will come with this cylinder head as a side note. 300 or better cfm in stock form supposedly. Many choose that route for single lobe applications.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
RAA is similar but with smaller ports. PPA is the k24a1 cylinder head code , I’m pretty sure if you get a complete base
Model jdm k24a with the crv plastic runner intake manifold it will come with this cylinder head as a side note. 300 or better cfm in stock form supposedly. Many choose that route for single lobe applications.
you mean this IM?
https://car0.autoimg.cn/upload/spec/1627/1024x0_1_q95_autohomecar__1627739624711.jpg

K20A4 use the same IM, is the head are also PPA?
are there any different between CRV plastic & TSX aside the actuator?

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,513 Posts

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,836 Posts
But neither are as good as the RBC.
Yes, regarding top end power.
Down low the story looks vice versa. Here likely not (race application and VTEC killer cams), just if that is of interest as well. A good compromise for the lower end but not compromising at top would be a modified RSP IM (for here).

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,513 Posts
Yes, regarding top end power.
Down low the story looks vice versa. Here likely not (race application and VTEC killer cams), just if that is of interest as well. A good compromise for the lower end but not compromising at top would be a modified RSP IM (for here).
Yes I believe the rbb manifold would produce more low end hp and torque but I was thinking more of peak numbers which isn’t always the whole story I know 😉 the RSP manifold is a great suggestion. If those are easily found that may be the best option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts