Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ! I 'm currently living in Canada. And will be moving to California in a few months. My ride is a ep3 civic with jdm k20a swap. In Canada you can do whatever to your car; no smog check, no nothing...... I have no idea how things work down there. People tell me jdm swap are no...nos. To certify the car and get it plated is next to impossible. So, what I need to know is how and where and what are needed done to be able to drive the car in California; since I only have one car; or sell it before the move and figure out something else after. Any help or point to the right direction will be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, Thanx for all the inputs on the subject......
After I have post the question, I have spend some time reading previous
postings on this forum and I have another question; is it really that bad in
Cali.? Because I have JDM the exterior of my car also. Will that make it
more of a target for harassment by the law? Just can't help it but to think
any japanese car with any sort of mod will be subject to harassment......

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't live in cali but I think they have the worst anti-modified cars laws in the USA :down: They'll pull you over for anything---car being too low, exhaust too loud, tint too dark, blue lights, you name it. But I'd still live there anyday instead of crappy Maryland :D So if you wanna have a modified car and live in cali, I think you should go the sleeper route, and do light, clean aesthetic mods and quiet exhaust. And make sure the motor you're swapping in is the same year or newer than your chassis.

edit: I just read that you already have the swap done, in that case, since you had it done before you lived in cali, then I dunno if they'll still harass you about it.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
02ep3SiR said:
First, Thanx for all the inputs on the subject......
After I have post the question, I have spend some time reading previous
postings on this forum and I have another question; is it really that bad in
Cali.? Because I have JDM the exterior of my car also. Will that make it
more of a target for harassment by the law? Just can't help it but to think
any japanese car with any sort of mod will be subject to harassment......
No it's not that bad. Well it actually depends a lot on where you live and the places and people you hang out with, that will get you harassed...

As long as your car is not Lime green or Fire engine Red you should be fine...
Unless you are running straight pipe, that might get you pulled over pretty quickly...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Because your car is Canadian it will inherentaly have different emission standards than that required by Cali. I had much of the same problem when I moved from Tx with my bike and my truck Tx being a dirty emission state. According to what I learned theres not a damn thing Cali can do to you or you car. I was granted an exemtion for both my bike and my truck. They should probably do the same thing for you

·
Registered
7 Posts
JOHN said:
Because your car is Canadian it will inherentaly have different emission standards than that required by Cali. I had much of the same problem when I moved from Tx with my bike and my truck Tx being a dirty emission state. According to what I learned theres not a damn thing Cali can do to you or you car. I was granted an exemtion for both my bike and my truck. They should probably do the same thing for you
Tx is part of the U.S. while Canada isn't. He will not be exempted. I do think that they will not notice that the engine is swapped if he doesn't tell them though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi! Everybody. I did consider not saying anything and see how it plays out......As far as I can see two problems come into play:
1)When they put the car on dyno for smog check; output, compression ratio and the datas would not match the OEM domestic's.
2)Two set of serial# on one car (one on chassis, diff. one on engine); even though I have all the bills to proof the engine's legitimacy; using of jdm cpu on a street machine is not allowed according to the provious postings.

I do fit the profile pretty well: Chinese+mod Honda Civic......
Btw my car is red in color, but no stickers.

·
Registered
508 Posts
02ep3SiR said:
Hi! Everybody. I did consider not saying anything and see how it plays out......As far as I can see two problems come into play:
1)When they put the car on dyno for smog check; output, compression ratio and the datas would not match the OEM domestic's.
2)Two set of serial# on one car (one on chassis, diff. one on engine); even though I have all the bills to proof the engine's legitimacy; using of jdm cpu on a street machine is not allowed according to the provious postings.

I do fit the profile pretty well: Chinese+mod Honda Civic......
Btw my car is red in color, but no stickers.

they dont check compression ratios during a smog, they also arent going to notice engine vin Numbers on the block. But you definetly cant use the Jdm Ecu... Just go there and play dumb. Pay extra and do the Pre test if your worried you will not pass. Worse comes to worse you might have to find somebody that will make it pass.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.