Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
toda makes one. they all have issues still i'm sure. can't win either way.

is it just me or does the chain move slower when they have their skunk2 tensioner installed?

who knows if it's all the same setup or not. cams do play alot of role in tensioner wear/issues. some cams are made to keep the stock tensioner in spec and some cams are just made to be made. if skunk2 did all the testing they should you wouldn't see people have any problems with their parts.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Hiding the true identity of the "racing tensioner" is bs imo. Im not a skunk hater by any means but many people have had issues with their K-series parts including their tensioner. Im sure everyone is going to assume thats a hybrid racing tensioner so not showing its identity isnt fair to them or a customer who is deciding between the two.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Im willing to bet the competitor one in the vid is a Toda unit. It is just a OEM tensioner with a slightly stiffer spring and thats it. I dont see Skunk2 using the Hybrid tensioner in this vid cause it is a superior unit and would make them look bad. Toda tensioner and customer service is junk, I had issue with my ratcheting mech out of spec and sticking at times and they said 'sorry, we can sell you another one'.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
one way or another nomatter who the other tensioner is I think its BS cuz it looks worse then the stock one & the fact that they also show there intakemanifold & other products to out perform many others but in "the real world" most peps have shown its the other way around.

·
Registered
18,977 Posts
the simple issue imho, is you cannot confirm the test are equal, besides at these speeds, the pump would have oil pressure, so realistically there tensioner may be better in situations which do not exsist

·
Registered
457 Posts
I believe the HR tensioner is better, but for bang for the buck Id go with SKunk2s, course if they can ship some out, I ordered mine a month ago and on back order for another 6 weeks min.

I seen another test with the Skunk2 by turning the crank by hand and it staying firm and not jumping, and on my Toda it would pop the chain everytime I would leave TDC. I could care less of the way it looks over 2Krpms cause good oil pressure will keep it safe, now bad oil pressure is different story. From everything I see and have learned its from teh initial setup that causes them to fail.

·
Registered
655 Posts
i believe if your going to get an product get the hybrid racing tensioner .. it is DEFINITELY not the competitor in that video

people need to realize that if u run big cams with a high lift and long duration, your going to eventually have a problem with your timing jumping.. the only realistic way to fix this problem is to change the tensioner and/or timing chain after it is used over a period of time.. this tensioners may help a little but the REAL problem is the cam designs itself..

higher lift and longer duration cam = more power but also more wear

smaller cams = less power and less wear

basically there is not way to achieve a perfect balance there will always be limits to a engines design and capabilities..

dont get me wrong these may help the chain from moving around too much but i believe that if you have a race motor you should plan on rebuilding it every season .. if your looking to have a street build just go with a smaller cam!

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
^^ he has a good point and like i was always told anything super modifided from stock will break just like stock will if enough pressure is put on it

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Hiding the true identity of the "racing tensioner" is bs imo...
I agree. They should just block out the name on the front of the tensioner and show the design if they wanted to be fair. It seems to me like they are trying to imply it is HR's, since HR is the only other company out there who has a new tensioner but until Skunk identifies the "competitor", it is sort of meaningless.

·
IMAKEBOOSTATIDLE
6,916 Posts
I agree. They should just block out the name on the front of the tensioner and show the design if they wanted to be fair. It seems to me like they are trying to imply it is HR's, since HR is the only other company out there who has a new tensioner but until Skunk identifies the "competitor", it is sort of meaningless.

X2... wtf... doesn't surprise me really its junk2..... :down:

·
Registered
822 Posts
hybrid seems to be the new omni.. product always fail..

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
hybrid seems to be the new omni.. product always fail..
[email protected] statement:confused:
i would have to question how many hybrid products have you owned that have failed?.....such a statement allows the ignorant enthusiast to draw ignorant conclusions.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i would have to question how many hybrid products have you owned that have failed?.....such a statement allows the ignorant enthusiast to draw ignorant conclusions.
x2
Hybrid tests the crap out of their products before they release them. I have seen the test rigs personally.
Have a great day!-Casey

·
trial user
12,673 Posts
I am not going to jump on the hate Skunk2 bandwagon. I show how I feel about manufacturers by the parts I buy not by thread vent. The only way to find out about tensioner comparisons is to set up a test rig and run them by an independent third party. I really don't care who makes a video of what. I'll choose parts by reading threads that concentrate on solutions to problems. It's like my own R&D department here. Threads I don't watch are bashing threads with titles like "Brand X Fails". My other pet peeve thread title starts with the words "Let's talk about ...". It reminds me of many conversations that my ex's started with that ended with "Where is this thing going ? ...". Before buying parts please read a lot of build threads by reputable and knowledgeable comrades that you would consider intelligent.

·
Registered
822 Posts
[email protected] statement:confused:
thanks to forms and people who bought and write a review on product. that video is the same thing that happen to one of the k20a.org member who wrote about his HR tensioner that fail . So I guess that where skunk2 got the ideal of maken a video showing they'er tensioner ... running on no oil pressure ....

1 - 20 of 108 Posts