Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
remember also that sideskirt coatings will in some cases add meaningful thickness to the skirt. CP pistons do not have anti friction coatings on the skirts, so if you plan on adding them, measure after the coatings are applied.

·
Registered
207 Posts
chunky` said:
remember also that sideskirt coatings will in some cases add meaningful thickness to the skirt. CP pistons do not have anti friction coatings on the skirts, so if you plan on adding them, measure after the coatings are applied.
Will coatings like that last forever on the skirt/ringland? What happens with your clearances when/if they wear down?

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
2k2_nbp_egg said:
Will coatings like that last forever on the skirt/ringland? What happens with your clearances when/if they wear down?
coatings do not last forever. They do last at least 30,000 miles. As the coatings start to wear down, the clearances will obviously loosen up.

Keep in mind that I wasn't suggesting the use of coatings to make up for excess clearance, I was just mentioning that it should be considered. Those who get the coatings will probably want to consider the thickness of the coating and figure that into their measurements.

·
Registered
503 Posts
speedsex said:
my block is a k24a4 i have 2-3 on all 4 thats with a bore guage not a feeler and that is measuring the piston at the correct location.like i said i have more then one block and they all mic out the same so if some one wants to sell there pistons cheap ill take them cause i know for a fact that they will work !!!!!! atlest for me lol
so is that a stock k24a4 block?? cuz i have the same thing. so if i get these pistons, will they work on mine too?? but then again if i get a type s head, will i need new pistons because of ptv clearance or i can still use them??

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Just stumbled across this and have a couple of basic questions regarding the issues.

Im new too all this but am learning rapidly (im a 1st year apprentice motor mech also).. so dont flame me :p lol

Anyway, i have a TSX longblock on the way with the intention of building it myself (well the majority of it). I wanna know what my options are for ensuring i get the right CP pistons.

When i get my TSX longblock, should i tear it down and take the block to a reputable machine shop to get it measured and then get pistons to suit whatever the results are????

Money isnt a issue with me, i have time and patience on my side.. so would i be best to get it bored and honed at the machine shop when i have them measure it??

Should i get it sleeved??

Thanks for any help and any advice.

·
www.jdmyard.com
262 Posts
paul.

if you are bringing the block to get it measured by pro machine shop, you might as well order 88mm bore piston, get the block bored out for the bigger pistons

·
Registered
70 Posts
z10 said:
paul.

if you are bringing the block to get it measured by pro machine shop, you might as well order 88mm bore piston, get the block bored out for the bigger pistons
I agree just get the larger bore and order your pistons regardless of the results from the shop. Might wanna think about getting the TSX vtc modified to 40 degrees. Good Luck :up:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've asked this question before and never really got a solid answer.

Do you guys trust the OEM sleeves to be bored to 88mm if you're shooting for 260-280 hp?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Scansel912 said:
I've asked this question before and never really got a solid answer.

Do you guys trust the OEM sleeves to be bored to 88mm if you're shooting for 260-280 hp?
I think 88mm on stock sleeves should be fine. We always go small first though, just in case if the sleeves get scratched, we could go get it honed out and run bigger pistons instead of getting a whole new block. You should prolly start off with 87.5mm. We got our k24 build to 276hp with the standard 87mm bore so you dont really need to go bigger.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Not to worry everyone, i worked with wiseco on their 2007 catalogue personally, and they are going to have so many new part numbers for K series its rediculous. 86.5, 87.5, several new compressions, and I mean several. For a K24 you can pick from 4 compressions soon, not just 2.

So we are going to have 4 compressions for K20 and 4 compressions for K24, and all the half sizes. So they will own the market in features, selection, and price.

I wanted them to make pistons 10k oversize like honda, but apparently they cant because the ring companies dont make those sizes. So be it.

Also for right now, consider taking a Wiseco Piston for a K24, say the 13.7:1 model, and trimming the dome down, and redoing the thing with 45 degree angle cuts all over the edges, and you get it down to 12.3:1 for 91 octane easily with little effort.

The top fuel dudes offer to manipulate anyones pistons, just like exactly what they do to their Funny car and top fuel motors to maximize flame travel for maximum horsepower for $100. I am starting to have them do this alot, its a really good prep job. best I ever seen.

Jeff

·
Registered
70 Posts
laakuma said:
Not to worry everyone, i worked with wiseco on their 2007 catalogue personally, and they are going to have so many new part numbers for K series its rediculous. 86.5, 87.5, several new compressions, and I mean several. For a K24 you can pick from 4 compressions soon, not just 2.

So we are going to have 4 compressions for K20 and 4 compressions for K24, and all the half sizes. So they will own the market in features, selection, and price.

I wanted them to make pistons 10k oversize like honda, but apparently they cant because the ring companies dont make those sizes. So be it.

Also for right now, consider taking a Wiseco Piston for a K24, say the 13.7:1 model, and trimming the dome down, and redoing the thing with 45 degree angle cuts all over the edges, and you get it down to 12.3:1 for 91 octane easily with little effort.

The top fuel dudes offer to manipulate anyones pistons, just like exactly what they do to their Funny car and top fuel motors to maximize flame travel for maximum horsepower for $100. I am starting to have them do this alot, its a really good prep job. best I ever seen.

Jeff

Well that is good for all them ppl that are building in the future... WHY could this not be out 6 months ago when I was building mine :cry:
Oh well maybe next motor :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
z10 said:
paul.

Thanks Zi :up:
Best trader in all of Australia by far :up: :up: :up:
And thanks JDM_DC5_K24a for the response also.

That cleared a few things up.

It wont be a while until i build this but i cant wait!
Ill keep an eye out for any updated K24A products.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
JDM_DC5_K24a said:
Well that is good for all them ppl that are building in the future... WHY could this not be out 6 months ago when I was building mine :cry:
Oh well maybe next motor :)

Dude 2 years ago I was riding their case about inferior K series part numbers compared to good companies like Cp, etc.

But now they called ME on the phone and wanted to know how to dominate the market, so I took time, thought it out and gave them everything to just own it up.

Should have been 2 years ago, but shoot. Its going to be good.

Coated skirts, offset wrist pins, XX NPR rings, slipskirts, tapered 2" pins, dedicated forgings, lightest piston/pin combination on the market for stock part, best value, most advanced forging.

I feel like flying to Ohio and putting a big blow up "Crown" of top of the Wiseco building. King of pistons.

Jeff

·
Registered
677 Posts
haha awesome...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Right now I can make custom sets any size you want, about 5 week wait. I offer a new service to have the Top Fuel dudes do the same thing to the tops of the piston they do in their motors, really nice. So you can get whatever you want, but you cant get it until probably december right away.

Sorry, I know guys, I want it all now too.

Jeff

61 - 80 of 116 Posts