Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
21 - 40 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,990 Posts
thanks for the advice edo, but thats my scrap block... im going to measure anyhow just out of interest and curiosity

im buying a brand new one block from honda... its worth it for the $420 price tag in my opinion

thats why its at my friends house, because i gave it to him :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So is there a 87mm piston that will work for a k24a without it being special ordered? An off the shelf application?

I am looking into the wiseco 87mm 13.7:1 compression but I want to use the stock cylinders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
nikos said:
I am looking into the wiseco 87mm 13.7:1 compression but I want to use the stock cylinders.
Nikos, I am in the same boat as you. I have the Wiseco 87MM 13.7:1 compression pistons I am putting into my stock sleeved K24A1.

I am having my machine shop do the measurements once I get my bearings from ERL and flywheel from Litterbox Andy. Both should be on their way here.

[email protected] helped me pick out the piston size after I give him the measurements of my cylinders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
NickZED said:
thanks for the advice edo, but thats my scrap block... im going to measure anyhow just out of interest and curiosity

im buying a brand new one block from honda... its worth it for the $420 price tag in my opinion

thats why its at my friends house, because i gave it to him :)
Is this was what you were referring to http://http//www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/ under accord/block for $428
Is this a completed short block or just block?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
nikos said:
Got this information off Hotwheelz:

12.5 Cp 87mm pistons don't work in k24 blocks

k24 blocks have 5 thousands for factory pistons, forge units only allow 3...

So k24 blocks would need 88mm.

87mm will ruin the skirts. in no time
ya my block only made a few passes and skirts melted..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
after looking at the stock honda cylinder specs, looks like the CPs were made perfectly for an unhoned/unbored k24 stock sleeved block. Has anyone done a build with these pistons w/ stock sleeves and not have any problems? I was gonna put my block together tomorrow but then i saw this!! lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
tru....my block is currently at a machine chop awaiting machining, honing , and decking. I put it on hold at the moment till Im sure whats d best way to go.

they said the cylinders are almost in perfect condition and might just need minor honing job done.

I wanna make sure eveyrthing is ok b4 i put my block together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
HotWheelz said:
what edo means is 87.5MM pistons (not honing to 87.5mm and keeping the 87mm pistons)

personally 87.5mm is kinda big for the stock liners, they aren't any bigger than 1/8 thick, then the aluminum deck pretrudes.. not much force left for sidewall loading....

machine shop said 87.25 at most... I don't feel like being a test dummy at 87.5mm I have enough bad luck as it is..

I lesson learned the hardway, waiting on manufacturer to see if he can accomodate a set in a serious hurry.

so 87mm pistons require aftermarket sleeve size to run. OEM sleeves are honed to big for the forged units..... my block was new, no out of roundness also.

from the looks of things it's only Ron and myself doing complicated builds ???

my block is a k24a4 i have 2-3 on all 4 thats with a bore guage not a feeler and that is measuring the piston at the correct location.like i said i have more then one block and they all mic out the same so if some one wants to sell there pistons cheap ill take them cause i know for a fact that they will work !!!!!! atlest for me lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,193 Posts
speedsex said:
my block is a k24a4 i have 2-3 on all 4 thats with a bore guage not a feeler and that is measuring the piston at the correct location.like i said i have more then one block and they all mic out the same so if some one wants to sell there pistons cheap ill take them cause i know for a fact that they will work !!!!!! atlest for me lol

LoL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Im going to add a new post for this

dont buy standard bore pistons until you measure your bore !!! This is for all brands of pistons!! Also your pistons come with a spec on where to measure them its not some thing you can do with a feeler gauge as its always below the rings on the skirt.also when you measure your block dont forget about honing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
996 Posts
nikos said:
Got this information off Hotwheelz:

12.5 Cp 87mm pistons don't work in k24 blocks

k24 blocks have 5 thousands for factory pistons, forge units only allow 3...

So k24 blocks would need 88mm.

87mm will ruin the skirts. in no time

yeah I had to do 88mm CP pistons cause the 87mm was too loose ... in the next few weeks we'll find out if K24 sleeves work fine with 88mm ... the two builders I spoke to said they had no problems with 88mm on stock sleeves and have ran as high as 14:1 compression. I can take a picture of the 88mm bored sleeve so you can see how much "meat" is left.

Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
so was this problem only with the 12.5:1 pistons or was it all 87mm cp's. Because I have a set of 87mm 11.5:1 pistons and I wanna make sure evrything is cool
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
996 Posts
nikos said:
Greg, forget about the 300whp mark.. on kseries.. That is old news. What we need to find out is how to get 300whp out of stock sleeves :p

lol ... Mr. Edo did it knowing how sick his stuff is ...

we have a lil somethin somethin going on with our build using some of Mr. Edo's parts LOL ... hope to wrap it up in the next couple weeks, but busy with my FROG for two end of June races.

Greg
 
21 - 40 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top