Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright a couple of days ago i was backing out of a parking spot and my car just dies, i turn the key and nothing so i pushed it and popped the clutch and it started up fine got home and turned the car off and tried to start it back up and the same thing. I was thinking it was the battery but when i tried to get a jump it still wouldn't start,i took the battery to discount auto and they said that it was fully charged... So my question is did my starter take a shit on me? and are the RSX and RSX-S starters the same?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
when you turn the key to start position , does it click once? does it click over and over as long as the key is to start? or nothing at all? might be bad ground wires. could be starter.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
bad grounds than. check your grounds. if it clicks once , it a battery connection/ground issue. if it clicks multiple times , its a starter.

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
bad grounds than. check your grounds. if it clicks once , it a battery connection/ground issue. if it clicks multiple times , its a starter.
I think you have that backwards...

The solenoid engauges that's the click but when the starter don't turn it's normally the motor in the starter! Try taking a long extension or pry bar and hitting the starter carefull not to hit the cables or wiring

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
I think you have that backwards...

The solenoid engauges that's the click but when the starter don't turn it's normally the motor in the starter! Try taking a long extension or pry bar and hitting the starter carefull not to hit the cables or wiring
I would also check to make sure that wiring on the starter is tight and have good connections.

Then do the above and give your starter a good whack.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Ok i bought a used starter and it started and everything. Drove to work and once i got home it died again, tried to give it a jump and nothing. so i went and ordered a brand new one, installed it and still wont turn over. a friend of mines said it could be the ignition switch but wanted to get some other views....thanks in advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You will probably have to do a voltage drop test to find your problem. It could be drop voltage in your ignition wire, or a ground or battery cable that is dropping of the voltage. The fact that you hear a click means that current is trying to flow.

Battery voltage of a fully charged battery is 12.6V. Battery voltage at the starter should be no more than a 0.1v drop from this. Battery voltage when cranking should be no less than 9.5v and no more than a 0.5v drop at the starter. I suspect that if you do this test you will see either the ignition terminal (small wire) drop to less than 6v or voltage at the starter drop to 0.

The trick in determining the faulty wire is testing with the pos terminal from the test meter at the starter and neg on the battery, then do the test with the neg on the frame of the starter nose cone. If the voltage drops by putting the neg on the nose cone then you have drop voltage on your ground. If you see no drop voltage, then its on your positive side. If the ign terminal is less than battery voltage then it s on the ignition side (wire or switch)

I think this is the least technical way around it, but I can reword if needed

·
Registered
1 Posts
This thread brought me to my issues resolution so I would like to share my experience.

Chevy truck 350 4x4 ran great one day and then the next would just give one click. The click was the bendix going into the flexplate. I thought the seleniod was out so I replaced the starter. (I broke a bolt taking it off anyway so I had to.) Be careful with the small wire, they are usually rusted pretty bad. Still same click. I put the battery on a charger, jumped it, nothing changed.

After reading this thread I took some jumper cables and hooked one to the positive post on the starter and one to the bolt on the bottom for ground. Hooked it to the battery and boom, started up first try. I took the positive off and tried again, nothing. Problem solved, bad positive cable.

Thanks guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts