1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
i want to build a 500Wbhp K20a A.K.A stage 3

what kind of engine spec is needed ???

does anyone have a 500bhp car on pump gas ??

any video's etc

·
Registered
455 Posts
500 wheel hp on pump is gonna be a hard one to accomplish isnt it? what kinda pump gas you got access to? 500 break hp might be easier but again what kind of pump gas we talkin about? 100?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Affiliatedx3 said:
500 wheel hp on pump is gonna be a hard one to accomplish isnt it? what kinda pump gas you got access to? 500 break hp might be easier but again what kind of pump gas we talkin about? 100?
on 98 octane

·
Registered
644 Posts
I would like to hear the gurus in here chime in because I am planning on doing the same

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
c_buz said:
I would like to hear the gurus in here chime in because I am planning on doing the same
looks like there NOT going to talk !!!

PART OF THE K20A HYBRID'S APPEAL IS THAT THERE ARE NOT TOO MANY people around using the potential of the K20 with a Turbo ..

they are amazing power plants jeff made 360 wBhp on a stock k20a with a bolt on kit

im gonna try Honda-tech

·
Registered
131 Posts
we built a fairly simple turbo setup on a stock engine and made 424whp on the stock cams. We switched to IPS turbo cams and made 460whp on less boost (15psi). On stock cams and race gas the car made 515whp. All this was done on a GT35R. I think if we were to switch to a GT4067R we could probably make upwards of 500whp on pump gas at 15psi. This is all on the stock engine.

for built engine specs, I would use wiseco pistons and Pauter rods, IPS valvetrain and cams. Keep the compression ratio around 10.5:1 and with a GT4067R you should be able to make over 500 on 17-18psi on pump gas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
st00pid said:
we built a fairly simple turbo setup on a stock engine and made 424whp on the stock cams. We switched to IPS turbo cams and made 460whp on less boost (15psi). On stock cams and race gas the car made 515whp. All this was done on a GT35R. I think if we were to switch to a GT4067R we could probably make upwards of 500whp on pump gas at 15psi. This is all on the stock engine.

for built engine specs, I would use wiseco pistons and Pauter rods, IPS valvetrain and cams. Keep the compression ratio around 10.5:1 and with a GT4067R you should be able to make over 500 on 17-18psi on pump gas.
What thats Crazy StOOpid
do you have any videos ???

all that on a stock Motor
why such a high CR of 10.5 :1 ???
will this need to be Sleeved

i noticed Jeff did this on his Turbo k20a Too....

has any one used the Wiseco + Pauter Rods,IPS Valvetrain and Cams +GT4067R setup you speak of
with what results

Thanks for the help guys
thanks for sharing

·
Registered
35 Posts
bump...i would also like to know about the 4067r. also, stoopid, i have done some reading here, and a lot on honda-tech. it seems over on h/t that the general idea is run lower compression, as it lets you run higher boost. how do you feel about the high comp vs. low comp ratio debate?

·
Registered
739 Posts
someone actually did a test on the high compression vx. low compression turbo builds and they both made about the same power. The higher compression build didnt really spool any faster and they claimed that tuning was a little harder. some local guys built a h22 w. 10:1 and turboed it and it made 505whp on 17psi with mixed gas. The owner said that he wouldnt use it as a daily driver. From mine and friends of mine have all done well with 9:0-9.5:1 compression.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ive tuned all kinds of engines. Lowering compression allows for more room for tuning error. I like the compression ratio of these engines. The engine is incredibly responsive to boost.

The GT4067R is a custom turbo from Precision turbo. Precision mates the GT40 turbine wheel to a 67mm compressor wheel. On the 1.8 GSR engine we are seeing full boost around 6500rpm and max power upwards of 700whp. The K series should be able to kick that turbo in around 6000rpms. That may sound a little lazy but if you are trying to make 700whp, you should have no problem revving the engine to 10krpms which gives you a 4000rpm powerband. Also after seeing the results from tuned K motors it should be possible to make 750 or even close to 800whp with the 4067R. This is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite turbos, which is why I ordered several to keep in stock, along with the GT35R which is also a really good choice for making 500+whp.

·
Registered
35 Posts
nikos - "The gt4067R comes in either .68, .81, or .96 ar. , 1.19 A/R and 1.06 A/R and your choice in a S or a H cover amd shroud as well."

stoopid, which would you suggest for the original posters application, and which would you suggest for a k24/k20 hybrid. the .68, the .81, or the .96. that is the A/R of the exhaust side right? so if i was to go with the smallest exhaust side (.68), i would get the best spool correct. the same applies for the compressor A/R also, correct? i have also heard that sometimes it is better not to go with the smallest A/R to get the fastest spool as the turbine and compressor will be mismatched.

·
Registered
131 Posts
There are a couple of things to consider. Driver skill being one of them. If you can shift quickly and consistently, you can benefit from a larger A/R. If you need the response, a smaller A/R would be better. for most people I would suggest the .68, for power hungry people I would go .81, if youre completely nuts and you want to spray the car, a .96 or larger would be best. The compressor A/R is less important, and does not affect spool as much. I would run the largest compressor cover that you can fit in your engine bay.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hype-r said:
Hi guys
i want to build a 500Wbhp K20a A.K.A stage 3

what kind of engine spec is needed ???

does anyone have a 500bhp car on pump gas ??

any video's etc
I wouldnt expect much to hit 500whp on PUMP gas. I managed 410whp on my stock bore b16 on 14psi. K series has alot more potential all motor instead of turbo; at least my friends have convinced me other wise. :cool:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
this may be off subject but i've many s2k's hitting 400-500hp on pump gas, even though the engines are different i think there is potential for k to hit 500 on pump.

·
Registered
739 Posts
About what rpm do you think that a k20 could spool a gt42R?? I am looking for 600+ whp. I am figuring that the k series motors will spool about 500rpm before the b series motors.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.