Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hi Everyone, I just want to add some more instructions for those of you who are using a digital speed converter. I originally ran the dakota digital between the VSS signal (a18 engine side) and the VSS wire AND BOTH VSS input wire. What do i mean? I ran the dakota digital for ECU and Dash inputs. I ran the dakota digital before the A18 splits way up behind the blower. But I kept getting a check engine light for VSS. The dakota digital was too slow for the ECU input.

Related parts - cl7 transmission (tsx accord), 05+ VSS sensor, k tuned or dakota digital speed converter, hondata pro, 02-04 rsx type S harness

Pre install - This solution assumes you are running a 05+ VSS sensor, and an 02-04 rsx harness. You should have already shaved both sides of the clip off your 05 VSS sensor. Removed the plastic insulator and clip inside the VSS plug (harness side). And from the 02-04 harness plug itself, switch BLK/GRD to from location 1 to 3. BLK/YEL power from 2 to 1. and WHT/GRN signal from 3 to 2. 1 2 3 refers to the 3 wires in the 02-04 VSS harness plug, if you were looking at the open side of the plug, with the plastic tab facing up.

Solution - Just run the digital converter for the dash. Find where the A18 split and find the wire that runs to the dash/cluster, leave some space so you can work on the wire, and cut it. You will run your dakota digital here, so it only affects the dash/tachometer. I used output 4 on the Dakota digital converter. The remaining wire should run down on to A18 on your ECU. Now on your Kpro settings, under MISC, under speed sensor, select Counter driven speed sensor (2005-2006 RSX TSX S2000). Again, no digital converter for your ECU VSS input.
That's a cool solution, I didn't think of going that route.

I used the Ktuned one, and just cut the split out and wired from the ECU side to the input of the converter, then at the split, I wired that into the corresponding outputs. I left the normal setting in Kpro and the dash works perfectly and no VSS codes.

·
Registered
Honda Civic eg
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
That's a cool solution, I didn't think of going that route.

I used the Ktuned one, and just cut the split out and wired from the ECU side to the input of the converter, then at the split, I wired that into the corresponding outputs. I left the normal setting in Kpro and the dash works perfectly and no VSS codes.
Nice! Well im glad it worked out for you.
My ECU didnt like the dakota digital, thats why i did this, either way it works now!

·
Registered
4 Posts
This thread is going to my bible for swapping a CL7 engine/trans into my DC2 gsr Integra. Thank you for the helpful hints and tips. Also for the detailed write ups and explanations of why not just how.

·
Registered
Honda Civic eg
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
This thread is going to my bible for swapping a CL7 engine/trans into my DC2 gsr Integra. Thank you for the helpful hints and tips. Also for the detailed write ups and explanations of why not just how.
I’m glad you find it useful man, I am a little late to the k swap game so I didn’t know if this thread will be useful to anyone

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m glad you find it useful man, I am a little late to the k swap game so I didn’t know if this thread will be useful to anyone
I'm also late to the Kswap game. I've found that buying a less common donor for the engine/trans was a head ache on my part causing several incorrect parts purchased and mass confusion sifting through twenty years of Kswap forums and old posts from internet trolls.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,026 Posts
Thanks @SpaceSI for your shared pictures. Does the exhaust near intake not cause issues - beside power losses - when outside temperatures increases?

Interesting fact, looks like Commodity Beer - Coffee - Wine invested in a new painting at the wall :D. In Google Street it looks different, but was definitely photographed in 2020, as they have written there "2021 might be better".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Starting this build thread so anyone can follow along. Join me during this covid19 quarantine build. Feel free to offer any advice or cool mods!

parts / build list at the bottom of this post (post 1)

Got this car on March 20th like this. Previous owner had plans but didn’t take it too far. Brakes were cut and firewall was stripped and studs removed. I plan on putting a k series in it and painting it.

View attachment 101511 View attachment 101512 View attachment 101513

my parts list if anybody needs this info:

post mount - k tuned billet k20 post mount (not k24)
AC - stock cl7 compressor w/ hybrid racing kit and 1996 civic condenser
o2 sensor - Denso 234-9005
half shaft intermediate shaft - rsx type s manual or k20z3 2006 civic si
cpk crankshaft position sensor - 37500-PNB-003
rear main seal -91214 rnb a01
knock sensor- 30530 prb a01
axles- RSX 32mm base with swapped inners , swap the inners hub left to right
mounts -Hasport egk4
harness - Used a Rsx 02-04 Type S harness. I didn’t try to use the stock cl7 harness and ecu. The pin out is completely different. Meaning you're not going to get support from vendors.
Sub harness - hybrid racing conversion harness
ecu - k pro
serpentine belt for stock pulley cl7 , no power steering (oem pulley ) - 7PK1700
shifter and cables - stock jdm cl7 cables and shifter . k20 rsx shifter cables will not work. K20 rsx shifter or billet shifter will not work. If you want billet you need the tsx billet shifter
vss - Dakota digital SGI 100BT
charge harness - used the JDM charge harness
throttle cable- hybrid racing throttle cable with “k series “ throttle cable mount

Dakota Digital instructions 5-5-21

Hi Everyone, I just want to add some more instructions for those of you who are using a digital speed converter. I originally ran the dakota digital between the VSS signal (a18 engine side) and the VSS wire AND BOTH VSS input wire. What do i mean? I ran the dakota digital for ECU and Dash inputs. I ran the dakota digital before the A18 splits way up behind the blower. But I kept getting a check engine light for VSS. The dakota digital was too slow for the ECU input.

Related parts - cl7 transmission (tsx accord), 05+ VSS sensor, k tuned or dakota digital speed converter, hondata pro, 02-04 rsx type S harness

Pre install - This solution assumes you are running a 05+ VSS sensor, and an 02-04 rsx harness. You should have already shaved both sides of the clip off your 05 VSS sensor. Removed the plastic insulator and clip inside the VSS plug (harness side). And from the 02-04 harness plug itself, switch BLK/GRD to from location 1 to 3. BLK/YEL power from 2 to 1. and WHT/GRN signal from 3 to 2. 1 2 3 refers to the 3 wires in the 02-04 VSS harness plug, if you were looking at the open side of the plug, with the plastic tab facing up.

Solution - Just run the digital converter for the dash. Inside the car by the firewall, find where the A18 splits and find the wire that runs to the dash/cluster, leave some space so you can work on the wire, and then cut it. You will run your dakota digital here, so it only affects the dash/tachometer. I used output 4 on the Dakota digital converter. The remaining wire should run down on to A18 on your ECU. Now on your Kpro settings, under MISC, under speed sensor, select Counter driven speed sensor (2005-2006 RSX TSX S2000). Again, no digital converter for your ECU VSS input.

I am about to attempt the same swap into a 97 ek hatch
I have the k20a type r from a euro R

I have the stock wiring harness
however it seems per your post that this might not be the best route

If i followed your model using the same 02-04 rsx type s harness, hybrid conversion sub harness, and a kpro,
would you help me verify which kpro you used or how to find one that would be compatible with the rest of that set up?

is there a good resource or vendor you recommend for the harness?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am about to attempt the same swap into a 97 ek hatch
I have the k20a type r from a euro R

I have the stock wiring harness
however it seems per your post that this might not be the best route

If i followed your model using the same 02-04 rsx type s harness, hybrid conversion sub harness, and a kpro,
would you help me verify which kpro you used or how to find one that would be compatible with the rest of that set up?

is there a good resource or vendor you recommend for the harness?
I am very close to finishing this same swap in my EK. You absolutely cannot use the CL7 engine harness because the ECU connectors and pinouts are all different. And the RBC ECU that came with my swap was not compatible with Kpro, unfortunately.

For Kpro you can't buy directly from Hondata anyway. You have to buy from a dealer. They will make sure you get set up with the right ECU. For the donor that gets sent to Hondata I used a PND-A03 from an 02-04 RSX 5-speed.

I used a Hybrid Racing conversion harness. The car started up the very first try.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The cl7 loom can be repinned and adapted to run on a dc5 ecu. It takes some effort and knowledge but I've seen it done

·
Registered
14 Posts
The cl7 loom can be repinned and adapted to run on a dc5 ecu. It takes some effort and knowledge but I've seen it done
This is true and I considered that route but I couldn't find a definitive CL7-specific wiring diagram anywhere on the web after a ton of searching.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Hi - i noticed your fuel injectors are not grounded to the valve cover. Hondata has suggested this. Then have a ground from the valve cover to the chassis.

I love your wheels and the black on black Eg look. IMO it is the best color and look to the EG, it makes the taillights pop better and the rear hatch glass look much bigger. I had a 92 EG hatch that looked similar I had Kosei 15x7" which had a weird greyish color. I miss the little booger. I raised the gas tank 5" so the exhaust pipe ran straight back and under the rear subframe. Loud with no real bends, it switched to oval going under the rear subframe

81 - 96 of 96 Posts