Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to post this as some people didn't take me seriously when I was looking at various parts to complete my swap(Lack of posts, new to the forums etc...)

I purchased this car a few years ago with a FF275 Turbo kit with EFI stand alone ECU. It was a great setup, but I always wanted more power. I thought about building the 2zz, but the lack of support for the EFI ECU kept me away from it. Waiting over two months for a wiring diagram for the ECU was the final straw. I got frustrated and pulled the whole motor/turbo setup and sold it.
Reading on the lotus forums, I found that monkeywrenchracing was going to release a V6 engine swap (Evora/Camry motor.) They do offer a turn key install($20k+), but I enjoy working on my cars as much as I do driving them.

I got tired of waiting for a "kit", and decided to just search craigslist for the availability of a k20a2. Well, I bought a motor the day after...
I still have not decided which route to go for the engine, but I'm thinking I want to go with a lightly built K20/24 with either a SC or smaller turbo. I initially wanted to go all motor, but being used to the torque I didn't want to be disappointed.
I will be using swap parts from innovativemounts.com.

I'm in no rush to finish this project, but I will post pictures as I make progress.
I want to thank everyone in advance for all their answers to all the posts I have read, and all the posts I will continue read during my build.

K20a2 Home, helper checking it out

Started stripping down the K20a2

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
damn i see a clean ass garage ,bmw, sick lotus.and i think a yellow vette....u my sir are a baller:up:

in for this:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Sold the yellow "vette" a few months ago to help pay off the house. I may as well call it a vette now, bc half my neighbors thought thats what it was. Had one guy even mistake it for a camaro, and he was in my garage looking at it. Ill let u off the hook bc u could only see the front wheel :)
M3 cost me $6k, and is something i can daily drive when i dont have the work truck. It will get an ls1 swap when i finish the lotus.
Heres a pic of the viper before i sold it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Selling drugs would be a lot easier than working 70+ hours a week. plus, selling drugs in a bright yellow convert with an extremely loud exhaust doest sound smart.:dance:
Thanks everyone. I got bored of the viper really quick. It is a great car, but like i said earlier i enjoy working on my cars as much as driving them. With the viper any slight mod was insanely expensive(my exhaust cost more than the whole k20a2.)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
SUbscribed :up:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone, it is going to be a relatively slow build. If i can have it done by the end of the year, i would be extremely happy.
I purchased a lightly built k24 shortblock earlier this week from a member of these forums. Next week, i should have a transmission to work with as well.
I have decided i will go with a SC or smaller turbo(block has 10:1 pistons, and upgraded rods.)
My major concern with the whole build is the transmission strength. I am going to open the tranny as soon as i get it and install a LSD. While its open i would like to do what is necessary to make sure it will withstand my power goals (350-400whp.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
TTEChris very nice setup to the Exige i love them i believe with K24 block K20A head + LSD and compressor kit is the best track car my friend excellent choise !

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
That bottom end is good for over 600.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got my shortblock yesterday! Thanks BMFC.

Transmission will be here at the end of next week. I should be dropping the head off at the machine shop early next week as well.

Once i have the engine assembled, and the tranny worked up i will order the mounts.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I will get you the machine shop balance sheet and the other paperwork.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think that this build is the fantasy of any Honda enthusiast out there. Take the greatest, lightest and best looking platform out there for a Honda lover-Lotus Exige/Elise and couple it with a K motor. Total automotive nirvana. I have personally dreamed about having a Lotus Exige. It is my ultimate dream car. I can only imagine what it would be like to have an Exige and have a K20 or K24 in it. Could things get any better for a Honda enthusiast? My very best wishes to TTEChris and his build. Even though I cannot afford an Exige, I can live out my fantasies vicariously through this build and others like it. Thanks for allowing the community here for a moment of indulgement. :up:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts