Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a way to pass smog in CA yet?? Ive searched everywhere and couldnt find anything on a way to pass. I have a K20A and have to smog in March. I was also thinkin that since my motor is not in yet, could I just smog my stock 1.6 non vtec CX motor and then throw in the K20?? any help would be cool. thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright. Its been a while but I have found NOTHING on passing smog. So i am just gonna smog my 1.6 this month and then throw in the 20a. thats the best way i guess.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im an enhanced emissions technician and i use to work at the referee station, what are you question about smog? let me know. do you have a pic of your engine bay. do you have any mods?

Oh yah this is a question for Marouj, this is not pertaining to racing, but do you have a mom that use to be a teacher? if not sorry i asked ok.

·
Banned
320 Posts
Well I think the sticking point is this: can you make the motor run with NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT without using KPRO? I have not done it personally, always had one code on all the swaps I have worked on (I forget which one off the top of my head, I think it's the multiplexer?).

IVTECCRX, am I right that at the ref station they check the ECU, and if it is throwing a code you will fail? Also if it has KPRO you will fail, correct?

So it seems like it wouldn't work. At least in CA...

·
Registered
40 Posts
909edge) Your right about checking the ecu, but they visually check the serial number. and if you are planning to put this motor in a eg or ef and are interested your going to have a DLC connector. because the ref will have to use a scan tool to make sure it communicates and has a vss signal and visually check other monitors if it allows it depending on the scan tool. well can have a stored code and may pass depending if it was a hard code or 2trip dtc or some input that may effect emissions , but if you had a CEL then you would not pass visual. KPRO is programmable so you can make a program to detune your motor depending on what you have. good luck guys and if anyone else needs assistants passing hybrid vehicles let me know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
98specR said:
I-VTECRX can one pass with a jdm k20a ecu?
Yes it can possibily pass because when we smog cars that had jdm motors and ecu they would usually pass so it is possible to pass depending on certain conditions. like the condition of the engine the catalytic convertor etc. and if you dont have a CEL.

·
GoldStar
2,657 Posts
I-VTECRX said:
Yes it can possibily pass because when we smog cars that had jdm motors and ecu they would usually pass so it is possible to pass depending on certain conditions. like the condition of the engine the catalytic convertor etc. and if you dont have a CEL.
coo...this is good. thanx I-VTECRX

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been considering a K-series in a 98-00 Civic. The only concern that I have is if an External FPR will allow the swap to pass. I can deal with all the other stuff, but I've always wondered about the FPR.
Anyone know???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi I-VTECRX - I have been over the entire internet and have only found simple FAQs on my state's (VA) web site for emissions testing. Do you know of any good references or links on passing? I'm planning out a K20 swap into an EK (I know, original huh) and it's going to be a daily car. The last thing I want to do is swap back in a stock engine every time I need emissions done :)

Also is there any way for the common man to test to see if they'll pass, like a quickie-home-brew test (i.e. mix lipstick and vinegar, dip a Q tip in it and hold it up to the exhaust, hah i dont know) ? I'm always afraid of the emissions guy. I feel like I'm back in high school watching a teacher grade my test.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I can answer that unreasonable....If you are in va...

Simply register your car in a county that has no emissions.. done deal

I live in caroline co.. No emissions.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Correct Me If Im Wrong But If U Are Swaping A Jdm Engine U Wont Be Able To Use Ur I/m, Exhaust/m Or Ur Ecm U Have To Use The Usdm Version U Will Also Need All The Smog Equipment From The Doner Car And If U Are Going To Use Aftermarket Parts Make Sure They Match The Application For Year Make And Model Of The Doner Vehicle. And About The Fpr no is not legal if is adj.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.