Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know if the JDM K20A would pass emissions out here in California. I am not quite sure how well JDM motors do on emission tests. So if anyone can leave me a post or maybe even a website to clarify this for me. And if the K20A can't pass smog does anyone know where to get a hold of a K20A2?

-TIA-

·
Registered
26 Posts
theres no way to pass cali smog with the jdm ecu.... the jdm ecu does not have all the evap emissions equimpment as the usdm type s......needed to pass from what i think is it needs a usdm type s ecu with a hard wired immobilizer with key( if immob removed check engine light will be on ) also the trick of the nonfuel return is another task if the smog ref guys are picky...... good luck!!!!!!!! chris

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
K3nvy said:
so even if i got the immobilizer turned off from within the ECU i would still pull a check engine light?
Yes sir...Only on a Type s ECU

Immobilizer

The immobilizer feature on the US Spec RSX is the most advanced to date. The ignition key, the immobilizer box and the ECU are all matched. It there is not a match there will be no fuel or spark. Japanese ECUs have less protection and are more easily bypassed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well there seems to be a conflict then when it comes to being smog legal. Because you need the US Spec ECU to be able to get reff'd and pass smog (in cali). But by pulling a check engine light you automatically fail smog. But by having the J Spec ECU you can not get a reff sticker and you'd be lucky to pass smog. So pretty much if you are doing this swap there is no way to do it on legal guidelines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.