Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

201 - 220 of 706 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I see your point.

What I will do is include the stock RBC in session 1 and session 2.

Problem with the TSX and BPR RBC manifolds is that I am borrowing them and the owners need them back as soon as the tests are done this week, especially with the TSX mani (belongs to 6spd_EK).

The stock PRC and RBC belong to me though. So, when the sk2 manifold becomes available it'll be a fair comparison to my stock RBC (even though a couple of others have already performed this test). It wouldn't be a fair comparison anyways with a BPR RBC vs. Skunk2 as the BPR is heavily ported vs. the Skunk2 mani. Stock RBC vs. SK2 seems like a fair battle.
with that done i dont think anyone can complain or say anything about the tests, even if the rbc puts down one number one day and different the next it will still be able to compare all the manifolds through that comparison :up:

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
I'm way hungry, tired, and need to catch up on this new episode of Fringe, then fall asleep on my couch. So I'll be posting more info and pics tomorrow.

Quick recap...
To keep the suspense going (lol), we were only able to dyno 2 manifolds today - Stock PRC and Endyne Ported RBB (TSX). Erick is heading to Guatemala this weekend for about 1 week. So when he gets back, we continue with RBC goodyness. I do hope I can hold onto this BPR RBC in time of Erick's return.

Engine setup & mods: K20R (internally stock), intake thermal gasket, 410cc RDX injectors, 3" free flowing exh piping, 64-70mm taper bored TB w/match ported PRC, KPRO, 1st gen Rcrew header.
Gas: 91 octane

• I've been running on a a DC5 startup kpro kalibration for the longest time with slightly bumped up overall trim fuel settings. Baseline run started off with approx. 198whp/127q (seems low, but everyones dyno differs! this can be mind boggling as I made 214hp/159tq on Bisi's dyno at the Super Street FF Battle on Sept.1 on this startup Kal). Today was a hot day - around 92F/32% humidity
  • around 6-7 runs later, best tune Erick produced with the PRC was 214whp/144tq. VTEC was set to 3500rpm.
  • then we slapped on the 70mm billet TB, lost power on low end and top end, but midrange seemed to maintain the same power as the 64mm tb. Seemed to also run a bit rich for some reason. Tuned it a little more and was able to somewhat match the power of the ported 64 TB but not 100%.....so fail on the 70mm. Maybe if i was running a K24 or bigger cams or was ram airing with a veloc.stack all the time, the gains would be seen, but for a mostly stock K20R, the 70mm seems a bit much, a taper bored 64mm is the ticket.
  • Slapped on the RBB w/64mm TB. Reused tune from PRC netted about 200hp. 6spd_EK told me the RBB has crappy top end...and yes it does! BUT Erick worked it out later on :). Played with fuel, VTC and bumped power to 207hp. Slapped on one of these for fun (w/out filter):

and this kinda fixed the top end downslope; helped the power level out rather than ramp down rather quickly. Gained 1hp with this intake...208hp.
    THEN we tried a whale penis (w/out filter too)..

...this thing WORKS because of its tapering design. With some light tuning, jumped up to 210hp (gained 2hp) and the top end was looking even better as it plateaued a lot better than DC5 intake. Kept tuning (advancing VTC, ignition timing, added fuel) and was able to reach 213.8hp/155tq.
    We never tried the 70mm on the RBB nor was the RBB 70mm match ported.

The RBB has some serious potential, well Froth knows this as does 6spd_EK -- others need to jump on the RBB wagon too!
Ah, so much for a quick recap.....
I'm really curious how the RBC's will do against the RBB in the torque department now :dance:

gnite...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
:up: katman

glad you got some promising results. its sound like the RBB had a nice torque curve :D it seems it was quite a bit of testing & tuning to get the right setup & I wanted to thank you for all your hard work

just another crazy idea - I have always wanted to try a BPi 3.5" velicity stack & run a 3.5->3.0 transition in the piping. I might have to try this now too.

can't wait to see the graph(s) btw

·
Registered
523 Posts
Curious to see what the comparison would have been with stock prc vs stock rrb or ported prc vs ported rbb.

Thanks for sharing results. In for dynos.

I will probably test stock prc vs stock rrb very soon, just got my tb adapter.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Nice graph...the 10trq increase is nice...i was wondering...
1. what was the original air intake on the prc test
2. how do you think those two intakes w/o filter would have performed with the prc manifold

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
good job. dynapacks are so much nicer for showing comparisons like this! this is why you never see wavy torque lines like this on other dynos.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Thanks for the props :up:

Nice graph...the 10trq increase is nice...i was wondering...
1. what was the original air intake on the prc test
2. how do you think those two intakes w/o filter would have performed with the prc manifold
I still have pics to share, but the original intake with the PRC was an AEM hybrid CAI, the one I've always had on the car. I didn't know erick had those other intakes laying around till he busted them out during the RBB test! So the dyno runs on the PRC were only made with the H-CAI. I was way curious afterwards, of how the whale peni would perform on the PRC. So, next session, I'm gonna see if we can do a couple runs with the whale dilznick intake, I'm pretty sure it'll show some decent gains over the AEM intake. Though, the H-CAI might show better torque because of the piping length. Will also throw on a velocity stack at the end of the penis.

201 - 220 of 706 Posts