Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so here I am last resort. Search function has failed me. I'm running a K24a2 with K20 accessories and the Hybrid Racing Power Steering and AC kit. I've literally replaced the tensioner and tried 4 belts now and they all squeal to no end with increased RPMS. I'm currently running a 7 rib 68.75in OD belt which appears to function as intended and maintains what seems like the correct tension. Yet I'm still in squeal town. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I considered the pulleys possibly being out of alignment but a few quick and dirty tricks, deodorant on the belt/water on the tensioner pulley immediately relieves the squeal temporarily. Also I have manually adjusted the auto tensioner while spinning up the motor and it appears if I remove just a bit of tension it rectifies the situation. So this has been quite an odd scenario all around. The standard K24 type S belt is 69in which was a bit too long and was slipping teeth at high RPM, the 68.75in belt (from a viper V10) appears to be just a bit too tight. Theres really no belt in between unless I've missed something. I'm pretty close to just abandoning AC and PS as this is a race car and running the EP3 idler pulley set up but I'd really prefer not to.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You're sure the tensioner isn't maxed out?

I swapped in an EP3 idler pulley and used the EP3 belt on my K24 with K20a2 accessories and crankshaft pulley. After a few weeks the belt would start squealing. Belt stretched a little and tensioner was maxed, belt still felt fairly tight by hand. K20a2 crankshaft pulley is a little smaller than EP3 so I had to go down a belt size.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No the tensioner is functioning as intended, it appears theres a bit too much tension at this point. Almost wondering if I can run a slightly smaller pulley either on the PS or ALT side of things to fix this. However, I'm unsure of where the best place to start there would be. At the end of the day the car is running perfectly fine, and at speed lord knows you can't hear a squealing belt over the noise of the motor itself. However, if I'm being honest it's just embarrassing.

·
Registered
622 Posts
spraying water reduces te slip stick action and the noise stops.
The belts make no noise even if severely overtensioned. Two friends have K20a2 with the JRSC and a manual tensioner.

My money is still on poor belt alignment. :)

The k20a2 alternator for example does not fit on the K24 water pump as is.
Are you 100% sure all is aligned? With that many mix and match parts incl. aftermarket, I would not be to sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a K20 type s water pump, K20 alternator, K20 AC compressor. K24 crank pulley. It's not impossible the belt isn't perfectly aligned. Worth taking a look at I suppose.

·
Registered
622 Posts
worth asking around if someone has the laser tool.
If you were in the EU, I'd borrow you mine.

here is an ebay auction from Iowa.

If any device flexes under the belt tension, this throws the pulley out of alignment and it makes noises. In this particular case, excessive tension would make sense.
Happens very easily or a bolt or two of the alternator or AC pump have become loose, stretched or broke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts